Heavy Metal Pantheon

There is no IS or ISN'T, its all opinions.

Personally, I think that Cliff Burton is one of the greatest bassists ever, but thats just me.

I feel that perhaps his playing wasn't the only reason why he was vital to Metallica...

Oh, certainly. He may not have been the most technical or talented bass player ever but he surely influenced the rest of the band a lot in the early days. I know he had quite a lot of input writing wise, as well as bringing classical along to their rehearsals and jam sessions and stuff.

I don't want people to think I dislike Cliff though, he seemed like the kind of laid back, open minded person that I love. I just think he's fallen into that box with Lennon, Chuck and Dimebag... and if he was here today I'm not sure he'd want to be there. Or say he deserved to be.

I've learned that disagreeing about stuff like that is not an option when you argue with people with 10 times your own experience.

So I'll just shut the fuck up:)

Fuck that man, you don't need to argue to disagree! :loco:

Don't get me wrong, as a musical theorist Cliff was perhaps the greatest member of Metallica. However, I don't think he was an absolutely amazing bassist. Ok, he invented a new style of bass playing, but most of his standard basslines were reallly nothing special, and you could argue he was just trying to play lead guitar on bass in his solos, so he wasn't much of a bassist. His technical ability really wasn't that amazing either, most guitarists can solo far better than he could. He is heavily overrated, on every video featuring him you get so many fanboys going "CLIFF WOZ THA BEST BASSIST EVA", which is really not the case. Perhaps if his life wasn't cut so short he would've been even better, but we'll never know. Perhaps the reason he's so overrated is because he died young. Still, he's one of my heroes.

I realise this may be treason to a lot of people...

It may be treason to a lot of people, yes... but I couldn't agree more.

you get so many fanboys going "CLIFF WOZ THA BEST BASSIST EVA", which is really not the case.

This is basically the reason I said he is overrated.

Still, he was very good... and he had a Misfits tattoo years before anyone else (apart from maybe Henry Rollins) :lol:, so that makes him cool.

As for Cliff Burton, he is a fucking legend. You can argue that he wasn't the best bassist ever but you can say the same thing about any legend, how about Lemmy? Such a beautiful voice and what skills on the bass!

Yet Cliff was perhaps the most important ingredient that made Metallica SO fucking special in the 80s, the total anti-rockstar attitude, the fuck off to record labels who told him to change his dressing style, the no-videos or fancy photo-shoots, in general that integrity, down to earth vibe that made Metallica stand out. Back in the 80s everyone worshipped Metallica and not just for the music, they were simply the coolest and Cliff's influence on Hetfield and the rest of the band was the main reason for that. After he died, the band changed forever and I am not talking just about music, the whole attitude and approach to the music business.

I second that. Though I prefer CLiff's material over Jason's (Cliff played on two of the three Metallica records I like) I loved Cliff more for his stage presence than anything else. Some of those videos of him are class.