Heavy Metal Pantheon

Watching the video of the Seattle concert and Jason playing was what made me pick up a bass back in 1996. Four bands and 5 guitars later and I'm still playing. Also, Voivod are one my favourite bands (far moreso than Metallica) so I have great liking for Newsted, regardless of him only appearing in the band since 2003.

is Dave Lombardo already mentioned? if no, then Dave Lombardo :D
same for Rob Flynn

edit: yes rob is mentioned >< damn, i should have looked better, it's even mentioned on this page! Evile forum, forgive me my sins

People jizz themselves over Burton and he wasn't even the best bassist to play in Metallica. Jason Newsted is criminally underrated.
Ah, well, I think my explanation covers that. Not that I consider Jason to be a better bassist really. Jason's best work is not even on a Metallica album. A real shame actually, he was a very gifted songwriter and he went to Metallica where he wasn't allowed to do pretty much anything, hell, you can't even hear him at all on AJFA.

The most technical bassist Metallica ever had is actually Rob Trujillio. The dude is a monster on bass and as usual, they don't take advantage of their bassist. If you wanna hear Rob you should listen to Suicidal Tendencies and Infectious Grooves. Fuck, the man can play!

As for the whole discussion, I think we are using a pretty wide interpretation of the word "legend" aren't we? :p Mastodon? Metal Legends? Really?