Heavy Moving Blankets for Soundproofing?

RUJoking

Feb 20, 2010
Hey Everybody,

Anybody have any experience using blankets like these

http://www.movingstartup.com/moving-blankets-and-supplies/moving-blankets/Best-Cotton-Moving-Blankets-12-Pack

for soundproofing?

I only need them for vocals in an apartment. I want to deaden reflections, but I mainly don't want anyone in any other apartment to hear me sing, growl or screech.

I've heard good things about these from musicians and bedroom producers, but I trust you guys more than those I've heard from so far.

Thanks

They won't do anything to actually sound proof or reduce the volume of anything but they do work great for killing early reflections. I have a dozen or so of them and hang them up around my room when tracking tracks and vocals, does a good job of getting rid of some of the undesired "liveliness" I get in my basement storage room :lol:

So I might as well get much thinner and less expensive blankets? I think lesser blankets would kill the reflections; the only reason I'd get THESE is that they're so thick. But if they won't reduce the volume leaving my apartment and entering other apartments, no point.

Thanks for the advice.

A good idea is to get something like Roxul Safe and sound, make a GOBO/Bass Trap out of it, and then staple a moving blanket around it. Say goodbye to flutter echo, and it will ALSO control low end.

I probably have close to 500 pounds of Rockwool and 20 or so moving blankets in my studio now.

i read of a drummer on a forum that has fuckloads of them in his drum room in an apartment, and it soundproofed really well. but then again, he had LOADS of them.

We have three layers of them in a walk in closet and they work great for vocals and guitar cabs. They are just not going to do anything in a room for a 'real' drummer or bass cabinets. :headbang:

I should say, they'll help [lower] volume levels... Just enough to where neighbors don't bitch hahaha :lol:

I was gonna post a thread about something kinda like this. My question is, at my work we have this foam thats about 10 feet long, 6 feet wide, and about 1 foot thick (im not sure the specific brand or specs). Its really dense, like way denser then auralex bass traps that Ive seen at guitar center. Think i could use it for something?

Hmmm...lava rock wool. Interesting. If I was building a new room, I'd use that instead of typical insulation, but I can see where it would work by building a bass trap out of it.

I'm only doing vocals, so I was originally hoping that with 12 of those heavy blankets, I could reduce sound leaving my apartment by layering them to create their own faux room with doubled or tripled blanket walls, and that faux room would be 6 or 7 feet from the nearest wall I share with another apartment.

Kenny Lee, you think that would work?

Thanks for all the advice.

Hmmm...lava rock wool. Interesting. If I was building a new room, I'd use that instead of typical insulation, but I can see where it would work by building a bass trap out of it.

I'm only doing vocals, so I was originally hoping that with 12 of those heavy blankets, I could reduce sound leaving my apartment by layering them to create their own faux room with doubled or tripled blanket walls, and that faux room would be 6 or 7 feet from the nearest wall I share with another apartment.

Kenny Lee, you think that would work?

Thanks for all the advice.
You'll be fine!! It's not going to 100% stop all volume leakage. But it will help BIG TIME! Before we had it setup, my vocalist would come over and my neighbors thought someone was getting killed here hahaha. I used a staple gun and stapled the blankets on the ceiling and walls and on the sliding closet doors. :lol: I got lucky and got mine from a pissed off truck driver at a job we did. I seen about 20 of them all folded up in his trailer...asked him if he uses all of them. And he said, take whatever you want. I grabbed like 8 blue ones.

@roflsaurusrex - That stuff sounds awesome. 1 foot thick? Sheesh, I wouldn't mind having some of that. :headbang: