Heavy tones, patches, presets

revnice

New Metal Member
Jul 22, 2011
I'm not sure what the correct term is here but I'm looking for the heaviest nastiest guitar presets, tones or patches.

I have all the stuff, GR3 and 4, Amplitube, etc but I really don't know how to get the best from them, can anyone share an eye popping monster sound - and tell me how to load it :)

Thanks - rev

You are going to get an ass whooping from these guys. Forewarning.

I'm not sure what the correct term is here but I'm looking for the heaviest nastiest guitar presets, tones or patches.

I have all the stuff, GR3 and 4, Amplitube, etc but I really don't know how to get the best from them, can anyone share an eye popping monster sound - and tell me how to load it :)

Thanks - rev

You didn't even say please.....:zzz:

hmm... wait?

didn't all you guys come to this forum to get away from all the flame wars?

@rev - fyi: if you own all those plugins then you would know that they all have user forums where people can share patches and explain (ad nauseum) how to load a patch.

not tryin' to be a dick; just sayin'

Google is your friend here. A quick search will turn up a board called Guitar Amp Modelling ;) It's more fun spending ages tweaking and dialling in your own tones, though, which I do more and more of instead of looking for presets.

I'm gonna be the cliche douche here and tell ya what's crackin
There is no set preset
It's about how your tone sits in the mix
Bass guitar is very important to your tone
Aaaaalso knowing presets will not make you a better engineer
Youll be way better off if you find your own tones, and it will help your engineering knowledge
Anything I missed?

I see. This is where you get lectured and smacked and told to go somewhere else. How to make a heavy metal guitar sound is right out of the question on this forum. I should read the manual, go to another forum or use Google but I should definitely not ask such an outrageous question on The Ultimate Metal forum - got it.

How silly of me! Happy trails.

Like all those starting out, you need to experiment - a lot.
Pod Farm is a good place to start. The Treadplate amps MOST of the time deliver the metal tone you're looking for.
Then what you can do is, by using the "dual" feature, blend different amp heads. Mess with the cabs/gain. I suggest you go lower than normal - to about 65% gain if you want clarity in your mix.

During recording you MUST record semi-perfect guitar tracks (perfect would take too long and our generation is impatient, plus we can click edit sound waves on time but that's a whole nother topic!)

After all the editing is done, you can feel free to EQ (whole nother topic), and add other glorious shiny studio effects to make your sound full and unique.

Hope I helped.

I see. This is where you get lectured and smacked and told to go somewhere else. How to make a heavy metal guitar sound is right out of the question on this forum. I should read the manual, go to another forum or use Google but I should definitely not ask such an outrageous question on The Ultimate Metal forum - got it.

People only get pissed because they work to find that tone your looking for. They work their asses off and still aren't satisfied. Nobody is going to drop a preset to somebody who signs up to the forum and straight up demands for the special cure. Work it out man, theres plenty of information on here, stop being lazy.

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=007593470310830667409:4qw46y8lnza

I find this quite fitting to:

284602_10150247773442677_692847676_7627690_6774515_n.jpg

i think the question everyone tip-toes around is... "uhhh, how do i get -blank- to sound like -this person- ???"

and the answer is (hate to say this, but) ...whatever method they are using.

example:

if i wanted to know the exact tone joey got for -blank song- ...he would probably say:

-the player's name
-what kind of guitar was used
-type of cable used
-gauge/type of strings used
-make/model of pickups and configuration
-what di box was used
-the preamp
-the audio interface - a/d converters used
-methods of gain stage
-editing techniques
-arrangement and mixing methodology
-final stages of mastering etc etc etc.

now... ordinarily these would be complex answers however they have been explained over-and-over-and-over-and-over-and-over-and-over-and-over-and-over-and-over-and-over !!! esp on this/sneap forum.

and chances are, if you are incapable of using a practical search engine... your not gonna get your guitar to sound like, whoever.

another explanation is... maybe joey doesn’t want a bunch of people to rip him off. how would you feel if you were making lemonade and someone walked up to you and asked for the recipe (and you gave it to them) and as a result they start selling the exact recipe in a lemonade stand right next to you?

that would suck hard!

I'm gonna be the cliche douche here and tell ya what's crackin
There is no set preset
It's about how your tone sits in the mix
Bass guitar is very important to your tone
Aaaaalso knowing presets will not make you a better engineer
Youll be way better off if you find your own tones, and it will help your engineering knowledge
Anything I missed?

Nothing douchey about that dude. All totally true.

Nope, you should learn to use your ears!
And learn how to dial in a sick guitar tone!
Then learn to make said sick guitar tone work in a full mix!

Presets don't generally work. For almost anything. Want to know why?

Different player
Different pick
Different guitar
Different strings
Different pickups
Different song
Different mix
Different tastes in tone

Any producer will tell you that they need to dial in the amp differently for each player they work with. If this wasn't the case then you could literally have a mix template setup for every band and have a record finished in as much time as it takes to track and edit it. The guitar tones, drum samples etc would already be pre-loaded and records would be made very quickly.

Mind you they'd all sound exactly the same. Which would be shit.

Fortunately this isn't the case. Everything has to be adjusted for each individual musician and song, so everyone ends up sounding a bit different. Even if they're using the same gear.

So instead of coming here asking for presets, and then bitching and whining when you don't get it. Drop your sense of entitlement, use your ears, put in the work and figure out what you need to do to make a great guitar sound happen for YOUR setup, YOUR playing, YOUR songs and YOUR mix.

Don't complain that there isn't a magical preset that will instantly work for every guitarist on the planet. Cookie cutter techniques don't work in real life.

Instead celebrate that you are in fact an individual, and once you work to get your own preset that sounds awesome for you it probably wont work for anyone else! Hurrah!

Frankly if more musicians could get their head around this way of thinking then we might have some original music out there instead of thousands of copycat hardcore bands saturating the music scene right now.

i think the question everyone tip-toes around is... "uhhh, how do i get -blank- to sound like -this person- ???"

Did you even try the patch I provided? :D

Presets don't generally work. For almost anything. Want to know why?

Synths?

But on guitar related stuff: Presets made by someone else generally don't work "for you". They may be a good starting point, but that's usually it.

ahjteam said:

+1 I cannot get a good synth sound from scratch, but I use presets on synths so hard. I barely will adjust the synth cause I don't know crap and I'll fit it in the mix with post processing.

Not tryin to get off topic or anything haha