HEEELLLPPP!!!

Frankie

Nov 20, 2005
ok, so for the past few months i had set what i wanted to buy...basically just some stuff so i had a few more channels, then as reading stuff from forums...ive now totally reached the point i have NO idea what i should be getting, im now considering upgrading my basics getting a new soundcard, some outboard mic pre's but i really dont know where to start...

most reviews for a cheaper piece of gear all kind of seem to go ..this is ok, for the price range its pretty good. then you read what other people who've bought this stuff, and they seem to shoot it down and im not too sure if its genuine or just snobbery cos its not the most expensive. im currently using a delta 1010 and looking now at the motu, or possibly since there doesnt seem to be much in it price wise the digi 002. id obviously love to get a compessor/pre in the distressor sort of price range but ...thats obviously a shit load of money..that i dont really have, but id quite like something that would add a little bit of colour if i wanted to do so. Was looking at the dbx 386?

anyone fancy giving me any guidence or list of stuff you use...particularly if your happy with the results it gives you. would be brilliant thanks :) if anyone has a particular pre they like, if possible would love to hear a snare shot with it..and then same positioning and all, but without the pre..just to hear the difference. :Spin: cheers

I have a MOTU 828 Mk II and a DBX 386 myself. I love the MOTU, first of all. The DBX is not something I would have bought myself, but it's still pretty cool (I've been borrowing it from a friend of mine for a couple of years LOL.)

I will say this much about the 386, there's nothing else like it, in any price range. That's a good and a bad thing. One of the unique benefits of the unit is its dual analog/digital signal path (which is very practical), but I find its tube preamps to be sterile, lacking character, and I swear the thing is cutting out frequencies, so I use it less and less over time! I've had better results with the built-in pres on the MOTU lately for most things, believe it or not!

If I were you, I'd just go with a MOTU unit for now and use the built-in pres. You're not going to get a very good preamp in the price range you're looking in, so save the money and use the MOTU preamps until then.

Kazrog said:
I have a MOTU 828 Mk II and a DBX 386 myself. I love the MOTU, first of all. The DBX is not something I would have bought myself, but it's still pretty cool (I've been borrowing it from a friend of mine for a couple of years LOL.)

I will say this much about the 386, there's nothing else like it, in any price range. That's a good and a bad thing. One of the unique benefits of the unit is its dual analog/digital signal path (which is very practical), but I find its tube preamps to be sterile, lacking character, and I swear the thing is cutting out frequencies, so I use it less and less over time! I've had better results with the built-in pres on the MOTU lately for most things, believe it or not!

If I were you, I'd just go with a MOTU unit for now and use the built-in pres. You're not going to get a very good preamp in the price range you're looking in, so save the money and use the MOTU preamps until then.
MOTU is for the Mac only, correct?

Also, though this is not relevant, Motu (pronounced like Moe+too) is a Hindi slang for an obese individual. I suppose it would directly translate to 'Fatty' in a way.

Just thought I'd let you dudes know this once and for all.

How do you pronounce Motu?

It's pronounced: Mark - of - the - Unicorn :p

MOTU is for the Mac only, correct?

MOTU 828mkII Overview

The 828mkII contains everything you need to turn your Mac or PC computer into a powerful 24-bit, 96kHz digital audio workstation.

Their Digital Performer on the other hand.. it's for the mac daddys

cool thank you for your help, every comments been useful..since you definatly cant beat an opinion of someone who owns and has to work with the gear, whenever you read something like sound on sound, they paint a pretty good picture..but its different when you invest your own money into it. im looking at the alen & heath PA28 desk...any suggestions on this? ive heard theyre very good desks...alen and heath in general i mean.