linking soundcards..

Frankie

Nov 20, 2005
ok, just wondering if you can run two seperate sound cards via wordclocking..of different makes..im looking at a rme, and i have a delta 1010, but was just thinking for the time being if it would be possible to have the rme as the main card...and then if i wanna put down guide guitars and bass for example at the same time using nuendo 1.6 ..cheers :) annnd if the word clock on any of the rme stuff is good enough to run both these together or would i need a seperate stand alone one?

The problem with 2 different cards is that most host application can only deal with one ASIO driver at a time... but if you had nuendo on 2 machines, each with a soundcard, and then sync them together with systemlink.

im guessing if i had two of the same it wouldnt be a problem? but its just cos there different makes?

if the ASIO drivers are set up for that, which I think RME drivers are, but check with the manufacturer to see before you drop the $$.. I use a tascam 1884 and I have 2 DBX preamps (on the 1884 spdif input) and 8 presonus preamps (on the 1884's adat input) but I could not go and buy another 1884 to get 18 more ins/outs, the ASIO drivers are not set up for that.

im intrigued by this as well....
but i have a slightly different set up
for my home rig im running protools with digi 002 on p.c at the moment

i also have an echo layla kicking about thats layed dormant since i got the 002
would it be possible to adat the layla into the 002, or do you think the layla relies on the pci bus too much?
ta

greyskull said:
im intrigued by this as well....
but i have a slightly different set up
for my home rig im running protools with digi 002 on p.c at the moment

i also have an echo layla kicking about thats layed dormant since i got the 002
would it be possible to adat the layla into the 002, or do you think the layla relies on the pci bus too much?
ta

Not familiar with the echo, there might be a conflict between the 2 audio drivers. but you might be able to get it to work.. I am assuming that the Laya has a software mixer/router? You might be able to set the 002 as your main card and use the software mixer to route the layla inputs to the adat outs then send that to the 002 adat inputs. The only problem you might have is that the word clock might not be in sync. Looking at the picture of the 002 I am not sure if it can be set as the master source. I have only used BNC connections, and I am not sure if they could be synced with the digital or adat connections..

I am sure someone here with more experience with the 002 will help out..

-Tim

ok thanks dude!
yeah the layla has a software mixer, so i could give that a go.

the 002 has no bnc connecters for word clock, but might they sync if i set the clock source to adat in tools?
i know i'd be using the laylas clock.
im pretty sure i could adat OUT of the 002 and into the layla and set the laylas clock source to adat if that has a more stable clock.

im dead confused now

I have never used anything other than the BNC connections for the clock. So I can not comment on using ADAT as a clock source, I have seen the option, but have never experimented with it..

Try it both ways and see which sounds better!

-Tim