Heil PR20 vs. Shure SM57 test clip

HollowmanPL

May 29, 2008
I did a short comparison of Shure SM57 and Heil PR20 which I bought few weeks ago. Great mic.

N-joy

Last edited by a moderator:
very informative thanks.
the PR20 is a little louder solo'ed and in the mix I think so one is more easily inclined to think it sounds better.
however, even after level matching I think the sound from the PR20 is better suited to the production i.e. less high mids and highs and little more low end.

the sound is massive though either way, mind sharing the gear used?

I was actually shocked by how much better the Heil sounded in this particular clip, really "full" and "open" sounding, whereas the Shure sounded kind of weird, like it was cutting out too much of the high end.

very informative thanks.
the PR20 is a little louder solo'ed and in the mix I think so one is more easily inclined to think it sounds better.
however, even after level matching I think the sound from the PR20 is better suited to the production i.e. less high mids and highs and little more low end.

the sound is massive though either way, mind sharing the gear used?

I've tried to get the same volume balance, but maybe more low-end and clarity of this sound makes Heil sound louder. :)

Gear:
LTD MH301 - PV 6505 - HB 2x12 V30

I was actually shocked by how much better the Heil sounded in this particular clip, really "full" and "open" sounding, whereas the Shure sounded kind of weird, like it was cutting out too much of the high end.

To be honest I'm also shocked by the difference between those two mics. I didn't expect it.
Sound depends on many details - room, gear etc etc. - maybe Heil better fits the equipment I use.

To be honest I'm also shocked by the difference between those two mics. I didn't expect it. Sound depends on many details - room, gear etc etc. - maybe Heil better fits the equipment I use.

I would say given that sound clip the Heil certainly does seem better suited to what you are trying to accomplish tone-wise.

Is the Heil being marketed as an alternative to the s57?

I would say given that sound clip the Heil certainly does seem better suited to what you are trying to accomplish tone-wise.

Is the Heil being marketed as an alternative to the s57?

I don't think so. I was just curious how does this mic work :)

Damn now I am gassing for one of those. Seems to have that tonality I want without the weird nasally issues I am having with my 57 (and on the OP clip).

I really like how natural the PR20 is, is just so even and has thick low end without being bloated or muddy in the 200-400 area.

You guys should check out the PR30 on guitars. Seriously fucking awesome, but placement is crucial for these mics

I have loved Heil mics for a few years now, it's nice to see them getting more attention. The PR20 kicks ass on snare too (they also sell the PR22 which is a shockmounted version)

Is the Heil being marketed as an alternative to the sm57?

yes, it's heil's workhorse $100 mic

Yeah, the Heil's kick major ass. The PR20 isn't small, so placement can be tricky on snare but it's awesome on everything. Great for agrox vox too. The PR30 and PR40 are larger, but killer on gtr, bass and even kick.

Damnit, now im GASing for one. Only thing stopping me is the name.. it's not cool to say it out loud in Germany :lol:
Is the PR30 a lot better on guitars than the PR20? Anyone got samples please?

EDIT: What the fuck, the European prices are ridiculous: The cheapest price for the PR30 is 329€. That's US-$ 465. -.-

Damnit, now im GASing for one. Only thing stopping me is the name.. it's not cool to say it out loud in Germany :lol:
Is the PR30 a lot better on guitars than the PR20? Anyone got samples please?

EDIT: What the fuck, the European prices are ridiculous: The cheapest price for the PR30 is 329€. That's US-$ 465. -.-

Just picked up a couple Pr30's they sound really good on gtrs. I'm supposed to do some reamps in the next day or so I'll try to post some clips of the pr30 vs sm57. might do a preamp shoot out too while I'm at it;-)

those prices are crazy!!! they are like $225 here. and my second one I got off craigslist for $125 and it was new never used. the pr30 sounds pretty good on snares too.

Edit: lmfao!!! just got what you meant about the name;-)