Hell freezes over: I found an Ibanez I actually like!

Glenn Fricker

Very Metal &Very Bad News
Mar 6, 2005
22 Acacia Avenue
Hey gang,

I've had a hate-hate with Ibanez for quite some time now. For verification, check this thread: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/269903-am-i-only-guy-who-hates-ibanez.html

Well, I had one come in the other day & it was shockingly awesome. 7 strings, 26.5" scale, & pure unholy tone. And the best part: A stable trem.

The model was the RGD2127Z Prestige 7-String. It's got a new trem that uses 2 sets of springs for a precise zero-point that you actually have to exert force on to get moving. Meaning, it's stable for rhythm playing!

Check it out:
ibz_a.jpg

ibz_b.jpg

I like the fact that it comes with built-in spring dampers (the little black rings) and the knob at the top is for adjusting the trem's angle for tuning changes. No more hauling out the phillips-head screwdriver! Nice.

I got to play it last weekend & was blown away by the tone. I'll be recording it this Saturday, so I'll get some clips up ASAP.

I think I'm gonna buy one. It ain't cheap though.

Most comfortable guitar I ever owned and played was an old Ibanez V. If they made something like that or an Iceman in a 7 string format I'd never look for another new guitar again.

Have one of these in our guitar rack. Had a deactivator in the neck and a x2n in the bridge. Routed them the other night for blackouts and it sounds awesome. First one in Australia.

This is the next one for me then, no doubt.

Comfortable, basswood, trem & a 7 string.. :worship:

Most trems are stable for rhythm playing if you set them up correctly and don't push down on them too hard when palm muting. The guitar's scale length being 26.5" is most definitely contributing to that trem feeling stiffer/more "stable" (aka harder to use if you actually want to use the trem :p)