Hello everyone I'm new and would like to tell you of my journey...

theguitargod

New Metal Member
May 24, 2004
Alright, so i've been into Metallica for ages and ages being a completely devoted fan!! At one point I thought nothing could touch them. I was quite a local on the Met message board and, ironically possibly, it was the people there that introduced to me to other music and realise that Metallica are most certainly the best! haha... Well the first band that did it for me were Dream Theater.... I became completely obsessed with Scenes From A Memory, and them being quite a relatively small band I realised was a wealth of amazing music there must be out there... Now it was before christmas I decided to take a look into another band that a lot of Met Board peeps were talking about... soo.. I selected a song at random and downloaded 'The Moor' by 'Opeth'.... I loved the music... i hated the death vocals... for a while i thought why the hell would anyone spoil such beautiful music with that. I couldn't stop listening to it however, because the music was so amazing. In time the death vocals grew on me up to a point where they were tolorable past this point and to a point where they were fit the music perfectly and no other style could be used instead... It was perfection. This was one of the weirdest journeys i've been on in music and I still can't totally explain how much I love those GROWLS!! Opeth are pretty much my fave band now... I own all their albums apart from the first 2... Everyone here seems to think they are really amazing but i've been put off by what i've heard so far... it all sounds so medieval... reminds me of Maiden quite badly?!?! Maybe I should be giving them more of a chance?!?! What do you guys think about this?

Cheers

Luke Lehane (theguitargod)

i think you need to give the first two albums another chance and/or more credit...they dont sound like maiden, aside from harmonized guitars, and i really dont see a medieval thing going on either...dont drink the bong water.

Luke I understood everything you said up intil the last 3 sentences?!?? You love opeth but you've been put off by what you heard? Giving more of what a chance? The first two albums? As they say in german.

Ich nicht verstehe Sie durchaus mein Freund?

yeah.... i'm just talking about the first 2 albums.... I'm completly in love with the rest of it!!

Welcome new friend!

Try listening to Morningrise before you listen to Orchid, I think Morningrise is the better of the two and "Advent" is an amazing song!!

i had a pretty similar story, its was the night and the silent water and drapery falls that sttarted it off, i mean, they were too good not to listen to the all the song, so i did, and opeth most deffinately are the best.

come to think of it, there are a lot of bands i like now that i didnt at first listen, which is nice..

I´d say start of with Orchid. The reason I think it is better to start of with than "Morningrise" is simply the production. Both albums, however, are fairly hard (At least they where for me), to get into. For me the song that did the trick was "The Apostle in Triumph". But just give it a try you will learn to love them just like you love the rest of their albums.

It's not medieval. Still Life is more medieval. Orchid is very pure, with it's one-sounding guitar and special production. It reminds me a bit of Kill 'em All, in that way. Morningrise is purely beatiful, very nice and warm.

Its more personal preference to which album you think is better. I like orchid more, because mikes growls on morningrise sound terrible, its like he is using a slightly different technique. Besides that, i like orchids guitar work better. The good thing about the bad production is that the songs sound awesome live if they are recorded decently. Look at advent from the inferno festival and see what i mean. The sound is awesome... mainly accredited to the marshall amps they used, but the live version sounds much better i think.

i am new to the site, but i have been into opeth for about a year and a half, and i was lucky to see them live for a formal introduction. the only opeth song i had heard up until then was deliverance, which will always hold a special place in my heart, but theor live show really moved me. personally, my favorite album that i have heard so far is damnation.

Lets not go by "what you've heard so far". Buy the damn album, make up your mind. Since you obviously know quite well of Opeth's dynamics, why do you assume that an album isnt good just because you downloaded a track or you heard a sample?

Is there a reason you're spamming our forums ?

Sorry, but Opeth has never done anything sounding medieval imho, not even their acoustic bits.

I'm not spamming... and I do intend to buy both albums.. i never said that i assume the whole album sounds like the clips i've heard.... :Spin:

I don't get why people don't see the medieval bits.... maybe i don't mean that?