Hello, I'm a swano newbie, guide me in the right direction.

Kushantaiidan

SPASIBA AX.
Hiyas!

I hail from the opeth board.

Hows' the weather here?

Anyway, I've heard Crimson, and a whee bit of Moontower. I love prog rock, and I love Opeth, and Crimson is amazing. So I think I'll love most of Dan Swano's work.

But where the hell do I start. What has he done? Can anyone give me a quick biography of what he has done, and the styles of music etc..

Thanx in advance. =)

Found your way here, did you?

If you check out some of the other threads, like the one about Swano projects, or maybe even better - the one about what does your Swano collection consist of - than you'll get a really comprehensive list of his projects.

You should definitely check out the rest of Moontower. Pan-thy-monium is good if you're into more experimental stuff. You should likely get a hold of some more Edge of Sanity, although nothing else is quite like Crimson.

If you're into clean vocals too then definitely check out Nightingale and Odyssey too.

There's lots more too, but that should keep you busy for a while.

Originally posted by llamaura
Found your way here, did you?

"although nothing else is quite like Crimson."

Totally agree... Pan-Thy-Monium rules, and Nightingale is just one of the greatest band I've ever listened to in my entire life... Concerning Edge of Sanity... Try to catch "Purgatory Afterglow" and 'Infernal"... Some tracks could remind you of the "crimson" mood... But listen to "Unorthodox" too if you really are into Death Metal...

Err...

Well, in fact, everything is worth listenning I think... Go to Dan's website to have a few more hints... The guy is undoubtedly cool, and his site is a must-see for all of us, "Dan addicts"...

I envy your "ignorance"... You still have a lot of amazing stuff to discover concerning Dan's talent !

;-)

Odyssey, Moontower, Nightingale, pan-thy-monium, Edge of Sanity, Bloodbath, Unicorn are all amazingly good. Everything he touches turns to gold!

As of Edge Of Sanity you should get: Purgatory Afterglow, The Spectral Sorrow, Crimson (aswell as Unorthodox and Infernal. Havnt heard thier first yet though..)

The essential Swano, gathered from both my own experience and consensus opinion

any EOS between Spectral Sorrows and Infernal
Nightingale: all three are excellent, TCC is my favorite Swano of them all, being a ravenous prog fan...
Moontower
Pan-thy-monium: Khaos And Konfusion
Odyssey ep (all three songs are among his best, full-length please! Perfect for progheads.)
Unicorn: At The End Of The Bridge and Hiding Again are must hears...need to order their albums.