Hello

tis true... But its such a freaking good movie!

It was a double feature back when it first came out, First you watched my Neighbor Tortoro, Then grave of the fireflies......
First you get all happy and inspired.
Then you want to blow your brains clean outta the back of your head.

Good times.

Its Combination of Art and story telling.

I would think a person whos life is heavily into music would understand such things. Then again, I guess not.

I totally get Anime and Manga... I've seen many movies and I liked SOME that were good. I think my problem with anime, is that in my art school: all the 'kids' are into Anime to a degree where they only immitate the art from there, instead of creating something original of their own.
I swear to god, if I'll see another cat-ear chick with cutsie big eyes or evil-schmivel types in Japanesque - I'll puke.
I guess I shouldn't complain too much: Western art has always been influenced from Japan, but sometimes I'm so bloody sick of seeing ANIME-like art everywhere I go.

Actually, I kinda don't like a lot of Anime and Manga, it, like many American movies and comics become to corporate.
However to just completely blow it off for that reason would be pretty shallow of me.
I tend to swing towards the more adult grapic novels. Like Inoue Takehiko's Vagabond.

InoueMural3_500.jpg

However to just completely blow it off for that reason would be pretty shallow of me.

IM SO SHALOW WHAT CAN I SAY.

with all seriousness though: I'm not dissing it because "everyone else likes it"
I'm just sick of seeing it everywhere and see talented people wasting away their talent on immitation instead of creativity... An artist is allowed to be influenced by things, but when people start copying someone else's style and gestures: I am completely turned off.

IM SO SHALOW WHAT CAN I SAY.

with all seriousness though: I'm not dissing it because "everyone else likes it"
I'm just sick of seeing it everywhere and see talented people wasting away their talent on immitation instead of creativity... An artist is allowed to be influenced by things, but when people start copying someone else's style and gestures: I am completely turned off.

hahahha, well your right. I completely hear you when it comes being turned off when someone mirror Images another persons art.
However most people tend to copy another persons style of art until they can make their own. Its not like BAM you have your own style immediately.
Like for Instance Lesa. She used to copy Jhonen Vasquez style of art.
More the people than anything. It Developed more and more over time into what she Draws, Paints, Sculpts today. Which I think her art is way better than Jhonen's.

Its Combination of Art and story telling.

I would think a person whos life is heavily into music would understand such things. Then again, I guess not.
This is a confusing post.

Does this mean I am supposed to understand My Little Pony too, just because I enjoy music?

I'm on the same boat here as Kevin, I never really got it.

He's right by questioning your logic, too. It's a false move to apply the mechanism of liking music to manga and wonder why it does not work for the latter. The answer being primarily because it's an entirely different medium. The methodology of approach and immersion is vastly different. For manga, I just can't be bothered. I tried but never found myself excited about it. Same goes for Japan in general really, I've never understood Jap-Fanboyism.

This is a confusing post.

Does this mean I am supposed to understand My Little Pony too, just because I enjoy music?

No, I figured that you wouldn't understand it. Music can tell stories and be very uplifting/Sad/Angry. Eventhough Anime is a different Medium its still has the same principles of pulling the listener/Viewer into it, being engulfed in it, being heart broken by it or disgusted by it. Hate it or love it. Like movies, like paintings, like sculptures. Now this is just my opinion on what I think you're thinking, but I believe you're thinking about shit like the old speed racer, Dragon Ball, Sailor moon which is just absolutely ridiculous.

I'm on the same boat here as Kevin, I never really got it.

He's right by questioning your logic, too. It's a false move to apply the mechanism of liking music to manga and wonder why it does not work for the latter. The answer being primarily because it's an entirely different medium. The methodology of approach and immersion is vastly different. For manga, I just can't be bothered. I tried but never found myself excited about it. Same goes for Japan in general really, I've never understood Jap-Fanboyism.

I'd like to think that its the end result mostly. I tend to try and finish a book or movie or Song before I judge it Even if it doesn't pull me in Immediately. I like to step outside and look at it. I understand that drawing and writing music are different. But mostly people when they do tend to write or draw they try to tell a story. Thats mostly all Im trying to say. I don't believe that its a false move. I guess it just has to do more with how the artist/director...story teller..etc. can play with your emotions during a song or movie.
Really though, you guys should watch Grave of the FireFlies. Then get back to me on the subject.