Helloween - Unarmed

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
I am sure there was a thread about this a while back.
I just picked this up finally.

All I can say is that I do not understand the hate this receives.

I think there are many tracks that are done very well stripped down and acoustic (primarily FUTURE WORLD and WHERE THE RAIN GROWS). I think they got pretty creative with the KEEPERS TRILOGY in blending HALLOWEEN, KEEPER OF THE SEVEN KEYS, and KING FOR 1,000 YEARS.

Honestly, the only songs on here which I truly find to be clunkers are DR STEIN (which in my opinion might be the worst out of all the Helloween "hits") and I WANT OUT. Just got a bit too silly on em.

The orchestral arrangements on tracks like IF I COULD FLY are done very subtly and fit well with the music.

Most importantly is Deris' vocal performance. I think he does a brilliant job throughout.

I was mixed about this at first, which is why for the first time in a long time, I held off purchasing a new Helloween release. This is a lot more interesting than just releasing "another" best of collection.

All I can say is that I do not understand the hate this receives.

I agree almost completely with your post. I was one of the haters based on the initial video that was posted ("Dr. Stein") which remains my LEAST favorite song on the album. Terrible! The only other real stinker, I think, is "Eagle Fly Free", where the verse is just BUTCHERED. (The chorus, however, works very nicely.)

Overall, the basic acoustic songs work very well. It's when they get all jazzy that things go horribly awry.

On a related note, I saw they are recording a new studio album for an October release....

The only other real stinker, I think, is "Eagle Fly Free", where the verse is just BUTCHERED.

On a related note, I saw they are recording a new studio album for an October release....

Agreed 100% on the verse of "Eagle" That dual vocal talking delivery is a bit annoying.

I think I remember reading a while back about a new one for October.

This is quite the year for power metal releases.