Help, doing music on computer!

im_mortal_man

Take thing as things...
Jan 8, 2009
Finland
I am interested to make music on computer, actually alone.. or only with 1 friend (don't know who (yet))..
Can someone help me with these things:
*What is good program?
*What do I need?
*Simpliest way to do that?

I want to use less money, as possible...

SP :worship:

I have a fairly minimal setup and it serves me just fine:

Guitar>Amp>AKG Perception 200 Mic>XLR cable>Tascam US-144 USB interface>USB cable>computer>Audacity

Depnding on what it is you are recording then the setup may need to be varied. But for an easy to use and fairly cheap setup i would recommend as follows.

1. Buy a small Behringer Xenyx 502 mixer,this will at least give you the option of XLR and 1/4" inputs as well as enough outputs for your needs. If you need Phantom power get the larger units.

2. M-Audio Delta 44 audio interface to connect the mixer to the computer. It also has the flexibilty to have the output from the computer passed back into the mixing deck to allow you to record with headphones on or passed to externally powered monitors.

3. Magix Studio 12 Deluxe is a really easy and cheap program that can allow you to make some easy and simple songs, and arrangements.

Not the simplest way of doing it, but it gives you much more flexibility and you never know, may spark some creativeness inside of you having all these options in front of you.

Regards
Jason.

For mics, i use a sterling audio ST51 mic and blend it with an e609. The e609 is around 160 but is the closest thing to what your ear is hearing, the sterling will smooth out the bass and makes the amps sound a bit warmer. At that point it's all about placement.