Recording on your computer...

Originally posted by Sfarog
hey

i like this thread, i have a question though:

I am using cakewalk tracks, i have a SB live+ card (cost about $200) and use a shure microphone. I really dont like the sound quality I get.

I also tried to do direct hookup from guitar thourght the digitech gnx3 multieffect and into the pc, but again, the sound quality is worse than demo. Any ideas if im doing something wrong or what?

sfarog

Are you going straight into the card from the mic? If so, you should use a mixer that has some decent mic preamps. Also the SB Live has a maximum recording depth/rate of 16bit/48kHz, you might want to invest in a sound card like the m-audio cards mentioned that have 24bit/96kHz.

This is a very helpful thread. Does anybody have any good recommendations for software based drum patterns, samples, etc. Basically a drum machine for the computer. Cheap and easy to use, but still good quality.

Thanks

Originally posted by npearce
This is a very helpful thread. Does anybody have any good recommendations for software based drum patterns, samples, etc. Basically a drum machine for the computer. Cheap and easy to use, but still good quality.

Thanks

I'm using Sonar 2.0. There's several options for programming drums. I don't know if that fits in with your idea of cheap, but you might try out the demo.

I use cheap crap .... my PC's sound card ...

I use a AM200 mixer and have a CRATE PA ... I just line in and out through the mixer to the PA .... I also by pass my amp ... I just go straight in through my pedals and guitar into the mixer.

I am suprised it actually sounds good.

Originally posted by npearce

Thanks

I mainly stick to nuendo and cubase but the vst drums in there aren't too bad once you get used to them. there are several plug ins, the most popular one is called the lm-9 i believe. good enought to get the idea across.

IMO - PC.
Hey guys do you actually pay for all this software??
You should be very rich then :)

Has anybody ever used Guitar Trax Pro or 2.0? I am new to the whole digital multitracking world, and this program seems to have what I need. I can't find a demo that works on Windows XP, though. I also like the price ($99). Any advice on this?

i have a question concerning multi-tracking onto a PC...

how are these multiple channel mixers/patchbays connected to the workstation? does the hardware (mixers/etc) come with a PCI card or something? i'm confused on how the separate tracks from the mixer are separated into individual tracks in the multi-tracking software.

i've been doing multi-tracking for quite some time now. but, i've never done it in a jam situation, with more than one instrument going at the same time.

if anyone is interested in hearing my stuff, go here.
it's not metal tho. it's very noisy and full of death! :)

ok, i think i can word my question above a little better...

how does an external mixer connect to the breakout box? i've never seen a breakout box, i don't think. anyone have any good pics of a typical digital setup?

btw, if you got a problem with shitty MIDI sounds due to cheap Sound Card or whatever, try downloading Virtual Synthisizers....
I use Roland VSC 88. Its average but sufficient to me. got a shitload of drums tho, if to sweep through the patches...

How does the Boss GT-6 pedal work for straight-to-computer recording? I've heard pretty good things about it. Is it good for metal? I'm just looking for something simple, and I'm thinking of getting one of these next Spring. Would it be smarter to go Sunbane's route with the mixer, or will the GT-6 serve my purpose well?