What Musician Need To Get Into Band

NeedledDude

Hate Crew
Sep 30, 2008
Lithuania - Vilnius
www.myspace.com
I mean what you guys think.. what guitarist need to know about playing, how long he need to play instrument and what he need to know about playing to start searching for a real fukin band. I dont mean fukin nice Melodic metal band where you need shred like hell and have lot of experience in playing.. but for just little trash band to work on your creativity and stuff. :kickass:

Really really depends on what you want to do.
I started a band when I'd been playing about a year, with some people who'd been playing about the same time. In the six months it went for we wrote a bunch of cool riffs but finished nothing. For the next year and a half or so I played by my self, writing material, and just recently formed a new band (with some of the same people), and it's going much better. So while I'd like to say that to start a band and sound good you don't need any experience, just the right mindset, I don't think that's true. What is true, though, is that the only way you get good is by practice and you get better a hell of a lot faster playing with other people. So start up a band and jam away. To join a band that plays reasonably complex material a guitarist doesn't need much music theory but will probably want to have been playing for a good 2.5-3 years.

The poster above me said start a band with people at the same level. This is a good idea as if someone is better they'll be bored. If they're worse than the others, though, encourage them to practice and they'll catch up fast.

Thrash metal is varied in terms of technicality. There's some stuff that requires really really fast alternate picking and precise syncopation, and there's some stuff you can play after maybe a week.

If you're the song writer, get musicians that are better than you. There's nothing more annoying than having someone who can't play their instrument ruin your song.

When I first started playing, I was in a band that kinda just did covers of alot of old school thrash. Everyone was decent enough in reading tabs to practise, but when it came to writing songs no one was creative I suppose. This went on for awhile and a few people moved on to listening other music and dropped their instruments.

I think band chemistry is most important and when you're writing music with other people it's better to feed off each other. In my opinion, it's good to find people who are on the same level and mindset as you are so you don't have to explain every damn thing you play to them. Thing is, everyone plays their instruments differently, it's a matter of finding people who you can play with without worrying about teaching technique to them. If they can't keep up they should practise or gtfo.

Also I found one of the easier ways is to let people shine at parts that they excel at or come up with different parts for themselves without dragging everyone down. This helps make the music more interesting. e.g I'm more of the shredder in the band and my right hand technique is a slightly better than our other guitarist's who's more of a blues lead player who plays around with effects alot more and has more feel. We make use of both our handicaps and excel at each of our strengths. Try it.