Young Musician, Need advice

Slavematic Sound said:
The Best Guitar player i'v ever Meet played his own solos as fast and as clean as !!!Kurt Hammet!!! in his best day...

I'm so sorry but just had to... Has anyone ever told you that you're a dumb fuck? I bet you hear that a lot. I'm gonna give you a very critical tip: No matter how good you are, no matter how much potential you have, you'll never get a decent band together by being a complete asshole.

Another thing while working on that: Get some studio time and record a couple of those songs of yours by yourself, post'em here and then you might have a better chance of getting a band together. Nothing is more convincing while trying to gather up musicians and some name for yourself than a good demo. Seriously, if you get a decent demo done performing all instruments yourself you'll be a lot better of with your mission than just bragging about your talent in some forum in the internet.

Slavematic Sound said:
Without hearing me, Judgement is uncalled for. Nirvana is Grunge and we are on a Metal site so i'm not gonna start. Trust me, I am doing something that hasn't been done before. Dont fight against the Youth, because were strong and rude, rude people.
Slavematic sound would never be my band name (got something instore for that). Thanks for the Site tho. I dont just play a Bass, I play a 7 string bass. I can do anything on a Guitar that I can on my 7 stringer. I can play the Drums, and the Keyboard. If all else Fails i'm going to move to New Orleans and just do the Jazz/classical thing. But my Music could be the next thing, I'v been told that by many people (musicians and music lovers).

Dont hate the Player caz you couldn't play the game.
Hate the Game because it played you.

Let me ask you this - would you still continue playing the same stuff you are playing now even if you DIDN'T think it was going to be huge? I get the impression that the answer is no...you'd be playing something else that you thought would be huge. I haven't heard your shit, and for all I know - you could be some phenom...but that doesn't mean the music you write is going to move anyone...

Try to stop touting yourself and the 2nd, 3rd or 4th coming, be humble and try to find musicians who are into the same thing as you are...

As for the whole grunge/metal fusion thing...I don't think there's much to grunge to fuse with metal...

That's my 2 cents

Slavematic Sound said:
First off i'm not a fucking Wuss, I know Wing Chun Kung Fu and my type doesn't anger that easy. Also, if You think because you can play a 4 string, that u can jump on a Conklin GT-7 string and Tear it up, your full of your self. It takes Hours and Hours/days and days and years of practice to get use to a 7 string Bass. I can pick up a 7 string Guitar and play the hell out of it, but i'v never meet a Guitar player than could handle my 3 3/4 inch neck, let alone anyone who plays a 4 string. Every party/ show I go to i see another Bass player playing what the Guitars wrote for him. Just because your Group wont let u tear it up, doesn't mean that u can flame on Bass Players that actually practice on writeing Hard to play music like Classical solos, or Slap riffs.

Dont get me wrong Friend, thanks for the advice. No Hate comming from me. The Best Guitar player i'v ever Meet played his own solos as fast and as clean as Kurt Hammet in his best day. Point being that your Right, Just because i'm good doesn't mean i'm gonna make it. Thats why i'm here asking for advice on how to make it.

Every Local musician in my area will back me up when i say i'm the best damn Bass Player in Ga- from 15-24. I'd do anything for Metallica to make an American Band type of show, Kinda like american idol, but life isn't that easy. Music is natural to me, plus I play 2-4 hours a day. I'd play more but once my fingers start to bleed I gotta stop.

(Quote : Some people are naturally Big, Some people workout to get Big.
The Naturally Big people who workout will be bigger than all.)

I Love my my Grunge Metal, and the many songs that i'v written under this style. But if i cant make it doing the MainStream, then i'm gonna move to New orleans and become another Jazz/classical musician struggleing in the sun.

When i Bought my 7 string everyone gave a yea right kinda of responce. From that point on I made a Goal that everyone that hears me play my Conklin will say damn, Is that a Bass or a Guitar, Is that a White Guy or a Black guy, listen to that guy, holy Sh!t... Must be some old guy, No i'm 18 and i can rip out a fucking hole in your sweet little ear drumb from playing so damn fast you'll wana get on a Croch Rocket and see just how fast 200 MPH is. When you reach that 200MPH, if my riffs are still in your head you might just say "how fast is 300MPH?."

Keep the Tips comming all, anything helps at this point.

I dont get butt hurt, i get Brain hurt from thinking to fucking much.

Not trying to Flame mate, Just saying. Ya know?

The guy's name is KIRK Hammet, not Kurt...and if you're going to compare yourself to a famous guitarist, there are plenty of others you could compare yourself to...I'm a hugh Metallica fan, but Kirk leaves a little to be desired, especially lately.

You seem really hung up on how good you are dude...let your music and playing do the talking - all you're doing is making yourself look like an ass...

I play 6/7 string bass too...worship Cliff Burton...play solos written for the guitar on my bass...classical music, thrash metal, digital studio in my house and all that...but I still have a SHITLOAD more to learn and there's players out there that will smoke me faster than a joint...that's reality. I'll never be as good as I want to be and I'm more interested in other people's stuff than I am about whether I'm awesome or not - I just love playing bass and that's why I do it. This isn't a contest, and I have a feeling you don't play for the same reasons that most people do...

One Inch Man said:
Seriously man, post some mp3s. I want to see how good you are.

I want to hear some MP3s as well...if you are HALF as good as you say you are, everyone in this forum should be rather impressed. So let's have it...are you al talk or can you deliver SOMETHING for use to listen to?

wow you really need somebody to shut you up.

i play a 4 string. my teacher plays a 6. when im doing something to my bass, or if i dont have time to go home before i go out to lessons, i play one of his 6 string basses. it is easy to adapt to a 6 string, and use all the strings.

it isnt hard at all. so dont jump on that high horse just cause you can play a bass with 7 strings. ill bet a million bucks that extra string doesnt make it any harder than a 4 if you take 5 minutes or less even to let yourself adapt to it.

now as for you not finding musicians good enough to play what you write... simple answer. WRITE SOMETHING SIMPLER. you can write the most technically challenging song ever, doesnt mean its gonna be any good. songwriting is its own talent. you can play anything in the world and still suck at songwriting.

so instead of trying to impress people with how fast you can play, you should try and impress people with how good this simple progression can sound or watever.

i really doubt music comes naturally to you if you practice that much... its usually the people who succeed with little work who really do just get it.

you really need to play in some good jazz bands, so the horns can show you whos boss. then ill bet youll never talk like you do again. if you think you can outplay a good sax player, your out of your fucking skull

you need to listen to some more bassists.

or you need to drink some bleech.

OMG STFU, you stupid son of a bitch! Your taking Music Lessions because you couldn't figure it out on your own, and your gonna sit here and tell me that you could simply play a 7 string, or even a 6 string?

Listen here pussy. Slap Bass is one of the most Challengeing ways to play a string weapon out there. Once you can pick up a 6 String bass and play 30 notes a second by slapping, you'll be a bad ass mother fucker too. But listen here you fucking Critic Noobie, if you loved music as much as i do, it would be all you did, all day long, with all your time. Your some skilless bitch wanabe that takes lessions to show your friends the new led zepplin song your teacher taught you because you weren't smart enough to figure it out by sound.

And you wouldn't know what the fuck natural is, if it was a big dick slapping you across the face, because when someone is Gifted in a certin part of their brain, they dont even have to try to use that part of the brain, Its natural.

And you want simple music? Watch MTV. You think i want Simple Music, GO F*^% A COW!

I played a Trombone, and ya they are bad ass but check this out mother trucka-
http://www.billthebuddhadickens.com/mediabin/vids/clip06.wvx

You need to listen to more Bass Players you no good piece of shit

I Drink RUM!

Spooke714
7strings
14fingers
silent E

Rock n roll.
I didnt compare myself with kirk hammet, you should re-read it. I said i knew someone, ect. Grunge/Metal isn't for The older Folks, sorry bro, its a Mosh pitting with punches type of thing. You gotta relize that you get old and so does the music you listen too and a new wave of Kids are In, were more Hardkor and we need new and harder sounds. I dont play music for the same reason as everyone else, I play music because its the only thing i'm alive for and because its the only way i can portray my pain. I could sit here all day and think of a reason to play music, but those are the first in mind. If my sound doesn't Stick, then i have many other Styles i'v got to offer.

Fuck man, I'm arrogant. I didn't post this so people could flame.

I'm working my ass off right now doing the 9-5 so i can start buying shit to record with and ect, (music toys). Soon i will post some sounds here, but dont you have to pay to paste mp3s here?

Atleast USMCO341 is a musician, unlike that skilless retard sex machine, fucking idiot.

Oh my god! I really thought you were an idiot. But now I know FOR SURE, that you are far, far more than this!
Who the hell do you think you are bitching around in this forum flaming all people? You are arrogant, you can't talk normally unless you flame people and damn, i bet you don't even have friends.
Now, even if you HAVE such a great talent in music:

I sing to death and black metal. Maybe I don't have much talent for this. Hell, maybe I don't even have ANY talent, but I like it, so I do it.
When I discuss with musicians I like to talk about different techniques and experiences, not about "who's the best".

And if you really play music all the day and are so good and all, then please do me favor:
Go play music and stop posting in this forum, you aren't welcome.

Agreed. You're a fuckin prick slavematic, and once you get used to the wide neck a six string isn't difficult at all. Slap bass is nothing but practice, and all the practice in the world doesn't mean you can write decent songs. And for you're info- any music not meant for an adult audience, is shit music.

Death's Acre said:
And for you're info- any music not meant for an adult audience, is shit music.

I think you went too far on that one. 99.9% of music not meant for an adult audience is shit.

A bunch of damn Haters. Your a bunch of nerdy pussys who got beat up in highschool. I'm the kid that beat your ass. Go player hate somewhere else you old assholes. DAmn Grey haired critic rockers. Fuck i love to hate, Live to bleed, Came to see, My destiny, not to meet somes Bitches need, I'v come to Destroy all in me.

Fucking player haters
WHAT?
fucking player haters, ReAD IT
Know what this means? i got it from my pocket
_||_

oh no you didn't! *snaps fingers like a black woman* nigga you ain't black!

seriously...
stfu n00b! LOLZ like OMG!!

Slavematic Sound said:
And you wouldn't know what the fuck natural is, if it was a big dick slapping you across the face, because when someone is Gifted in a certin part of their brain, they dont even have to try to use that part of the brain, Its natural.
There is no such thing as natural talent. "Talent" is simple ones ability to grasp the mechanics behind playing their instrument, and their drive to practice.

I play a 6 string bass, it's really nothing special. Nobody is impressed with you or your ideas. Get fucked.

This thread has deteriorated into verbal sniping that isn't even close to the original subject...so let's see if we can get back on track:

1) Your attitude is what people seem to have an issue with. I think dedicating yourself to music is awesome, and playing constantly is the way to really excel at it.

2) Regarding going from a 4 string bass to a 6 or 7 string bass...not everyone is as challenged by different aspects of playing as others. Me, for example - my finger speed doesn't take much effort on my part, but picking up new chords does. I know a very talented bassist who plays a 4 string...he picked up my 6 string and just riffed the hell out on it - some people are good that way, and for others it takes a hell of a long time. I remember when I got my first 6 string bass, I had no idea how the hell I would play it - but after a week of busting my ass, I wouldn't even look at my 4 string again - it was like playing a milk straw.

3) As far as making it big - my only point would be that (in my opinion) when I was in bands, we only wanted to make it big on our terms, because we were going to continue playing (and I still do) the music that we love simply because we love it, whether we had 1 fan or 20 million. Sure, that cuts down on your chances of success, but in my opinion, I think it's got more integrity...you're doing it for the love of the music you are playing...not for the desire of being rich and famous and playing whatever happens to be "in" or "cool" at the time...look at bands from back in the day who still tour but are playing real small venues...they do it because they love the road and the music they play.

4) To each his own...if you're half as good as you say you are, maybe you should broaden your search and look for some more advanced players...it is really tough finding the right chemistry...and that's one of the reasons I work on my solo project now - I can't deal with attitudes and egos and people showing up baked or drunk or not showing up at all. If I found the right people I'd be there in a minute - but after several years, you have to move on and progress. Maybe do some session work? That will get your name out there and hopefully you might meet some more advanced players that way...

5) The only other thing I can suggest is get a decent recording setup at your place, and get some good recordings down, and post them on the internet so people can hear what you're about...if the right players hear your shit, that's 1000 times a better explanation of what your music is all about than explaining it for 24 hours straight...

That's my 2 cents...now, I'll sit back and watch the sniping continue...rather entertaining...

Slavematic Sound said:
A bunch of damn Haters. Your a bunch of nerdy pussys who got beat up in highschool. I'm the kid that beat your ass. Go player hate somewhere else you old assholes. DAmn Grey haired critic rockers. Fuck i love to hate, Live to bleed, Came to see, My destiny, not to meet somes Bitches need, I'v come to Destroy all in me.

Fucking player haters
WHAT?
fucking player haters, ReAD IT
Know what this means? i got it from my pocket
_||_

:lol: :lol: And just when i thought you couldn't make much more of a clown out of yourself... Was that "poem" ( :tickled: ) a lyric for one of your grunge metal songs?

haha wow you really are a tool

everybody listen up. taking lessons makes you a bad musician because you were too stupid to figure it out on your own.

yheh thats it im just too stupid to figure out how to play bass on my own. it isnt possible that people take lessons with people who have been musicians for over 40 years to broaden their musican sense or anything like that.

you really are a fucking moron bro. i bet you think the bassist of korn is innovative haha

and slap bass is the easiest way in the world to play fast.

btw who are you callin a noob? i been here wayy longer than you haha

this is definately some numetal kid who listens to slipknot and thinks they are the gods of metal. numetal kids really are the dumbest people ever