I need advices for an Amp !

OldVale

New Metal Member
Oct 26, 2020
Hi everyone !

I come to you because I need some help.

Long story short, my guitarist is about to leave my band and I'll have to take his place (I'm the singer, I'll do both).
As I was only playing guitar to write songs at home, I just have a cheap guitar and use VST amps on my DAW.
But now, I'll need some good stuff to play on reharsals and gigs (well, we'll see... fuck you Covid19).

I searched a lot but it's hard to find the answer I'm looking for.
Here's the question: Which amp is better to have a european-like metal sound ?
I'm not really into modern "american" metal sound, for me there's too much bass and compression, I like more the old "european" sound, like HammerFall, Gamma Ray, or Judas Priest. Basically, the Heavy and Power Metal from 1990 to 2010.

I know that everything can make a change, the guitar, the strings, the pedals etc... but I also know that some amps are more likely to make a typical style of sound.
I saw that the bands I like often use Marshall and Engl, but I don't know much more.

I hope I was clear enough, tried my best as I'm not a native english speaker.

Cheers !

Hi everyone !

I come to you because I need some help.

Long story short, my guitarist is about to leave my band and I'll have to take his place (I'm the singer, I'll do both).
As I was only playing guitar to write songs at home, I just have a cheap guitar and use VST amps on my DAW.
But now, I'll need some good stuff to play on reharsals and gigs (well, we'll see... fuck you Covid19).

I searched a lot but it's hard to find the answer I'm looking for.
Here's the question: Which amp is better to have a european-like metal sound ?
I'm not really into modern "american" metal sound, for me there's too much bass and compression, I like more the old "european" sound, like HammerFall, Gamma Ray, or Judas Priest. Basically, the Heavy and Power Metal from 1990 to 2010.

I know that everything can make a change, the guitar, the strings, the pedals etc... but I also know that some amps are more likely to make a typical style of sound.
I saw that the bands I like often use Marshall and Engl, but I don't know much more.

I hope I was clear enough, tried my best as I'm not a native english speaker.

Cheers !
I think your over thinking things, just get something loud enough to cut past the drums without being turned all the way up.The bigger the amp and more speakers you'll be able to have the levels lower but have insane loudness without the hiss with a bit of control of the guitar, or just a noisegate pedal but will take away sustain.I myself am playing through vst plugin same kinda situation got an ashton which i put a Dimebucker and another seymour duncan standard from my jackson R.I.P .Only due to a newborn and limited time to record at midnight and beyond. But that being said your gonna be playing gig and rehearsing with drummers. Tube amps are over rated they do sound sick but are finnecky, they look pretty but there fragile not good for moving round unless you want a hissy amp or handle it very gentle and always warm it up use the right cords etc. A good second hand amp is ideal cos its cheap , you can trade it back, or blow up and it no big deal. If you have a few pedal . generally one amp can give you almost limitless tones its just about messing with the controls and experimenting. I play most my metal through a fender princeston chorus 2x12 it works fine for home and playing with drums but is screechy without control. My main rehearsal amp is bugera 6262 combo half stack. It is very punchy I myself like heaps more than a marshall cos it doesnt lose sound quality until 8 -9 where a marshall to me is around 5-6.Just my rambles but yeah amp not so important just the size for what you need it to do the rest is just pedal and you playing...

@metalmakerundertaker
I am maybe over thinking, you're right.
I'll look for something loud enough, and see what I can do with it. I didn't know Bugera but they seem cool, gonna check this out.
Thanks for your advices !

@TehFreshPrinceOfMetal
I tried a friend's Blackstar amp, not a fan of it, but thanks for the answer ;)