Young Musician, Need advice

Slavematic Sound

7 String Bassist
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta,Ga USA
I'm 18 and i'v been playing Bass for about 6-7 years now, and around a year and a half ago I started Playing a Conklin GT-7 string Bass. Its hard for me to find other Musicians (around my age) that can keep up with my songs. I'v been writeing Music since i was 10 and I have around 50-70 Songs just waiting on a Band to Create them with. I can play All styles of Music Rather naturally,and I practice about 2-4 hours a day.

Right now i'm working on a new Style of Music that i'm wanting to call Grunge Metal. Influenced by Nirvana, Opeth and Old Metallica, i'v got many many songs that will surely live up to the Grunge Metal Name. At the Same time my music is written just Clean enough for mainstream.

As we all know bands like Blink 182 and Hoobastank suck, but they are whats happening right now. In the late 80s Hair Bands ruled the world, as now Bubble gum Rock does. As we all know Bands like Metallica and Nirvana killed the hair bands. History will repeat its self and a new style of Rock will emerge. Rather or Not Grunge Metal will be this tool of Mass destruction to those skilless momma's boys, I think my Music will.

Anyway, cut the Bullsh!t. I cant find a damn musician in my area that can do what i can, and thats willing to spend as much time as me doing it. If i dont have a band i'll never make it, and where i come from if i dont make it, then i have nothen forever. At the Moment i'm working my ass of doing the fu<king 9-5 delivering office fruniture, saving all my funds. The only thing i can think of is to Record a few tracks and spend my money traveling to NYC and/or Cali and try bypassing security to hand my tape to Big names in the Record Lables.

I dont know how to go about makeing it any other way. I only need to be heard once by the right person (this i know). But When your a bass player people dont tend to take u seriously.

Help me out Musicians. How can i go about what i love more than life?

You're right, I don't take you seriously. If you only play bass, then your songwriting is obviously going to be quite limited. With this in mind, I don't really believe that you have written anything substantial- and if this is true then your way ahead of yourself. Trust me, you aren't doing anything so original that it hasn't been done before and the last thing you want to do is overadvertise yourself. If you tout your name about as the next big thing to happen to music people will be much more critical of what they hear, and much less likely to like it because it won't live up to your description. If you can't find other musicians in your area- I suggest you do the following:

invest some of that money in recording software or a recording device. Record your ideas and songs on your own, and when you've got something you feel is truly your best work, spread it around and advertise your need for more musicians. If you're really as good as you say you are, then you might get lucky and get picked up by a label. Just don't expect a major label, and don't expect to live off of it. If your dead set on hooking up with a big company and becoming a complete fucking sell-out you might try to make some connections with people in the biz, who will invest in you. Don't count on it though.

Mediocre musicians who refuse to get a job or an education because they believe their music is the greatest thing to happen since the wheel, are a burden on society. We all go through the "I wanna be a rock star" stage, just be practical.

Oh and btw...Nirvana sucks.

Oh, and btw...if you're really as good a bassist as you say

http://www.daathmusic.com
I think they're still looking for a bassist. Eyal is a pretty nice guy, and they're touring pretty regularly so if nothing else it could get you on the scene. Just came to mind when I checked your location.

Record a demo. Give it to everyone you see.

"If you build it, they will come." Maybe.

Without hearing me, Judgement is uncalled for. Nirvana is Grunge and we are on a Metal site so i'm not gonna start. Trust me, I am doing something that hasn't been done before. Dont fight against the Youth, because were strong and rude, rude people.
Slavematic sound would never be my band name (got something instore for that). Thanks for the Site tho. I dont just play a Bass, I play a 7 string bass. I can do anything on a Guitar that I can on my 7 stringer. I can play the Drums, and the Keyboard. If all else Fails i'm going to move to New Orleans and just do the Jazz/classical thing. But my Music could be the next thing, I'v been told that by many people (musicians and music lovers).

Dont hate the Player caz you couldn't play the game.
Hate the Game because it played you.

Jesus man, you got some good advice and then got all butt-hurt, what a wuss!
Slavematic sound said:
I dont just play a Bass, I play a 7 string bass.
OOOH can I touch you? I play a 4-string bass, not just any bass but an ERNIE BALL!!! WOW!

I could just make a dickly post and stop here, but I'll translate what I'm trying to say: get your head out of your ass. You could be the greatest musician since Robert Fripp, that doesn't mean you'll "make" it.

Here, check these dudes out, especially if you're into more-strings-than-you stuff: http://www.beholdthearctopus.com

First off i'm not a fucking Wuss, I know Wing Chun Kung Fu and my type doesn't anger that easy. Also, if You think because you can play a 4 string, that u can jump on a Conklin GT-7 string and Tear it up, your full of your self. It takes Hours and Hours/days and days and years of practice to get use to a 7 string Bass. I can pick up a 7 string Guitar and play the hell out of it, but i'v never meet a Guitar player than could handle my 3 3/4 inch neck, let alone anyone who plays a 4 string. Every party/ show I go to i see another Bass player playing what the Guitars wrote for him. Just because your Group wont let u tear it up, doesn't mean that u can flame on Bass Players that actually practice on writeing Hard to play music like Classical solos, or Slap riffs.

Dont get me wrong Friend, thanks for the advice. No Hate comming from me. The Best Guitar player i'v ever Meet played his own solos as fast and as clean as Kurt Hammet in his best day. Point being that your Right, Just because i'm good doesn't mean i'm gonna make it. Thats why i'm here asking for advice on how to make it.

Every Local musician in my area will back me up when i say i'm the best damn Bass Player in Ga- from 15-24. I'd do anything for Metallica to make an American Band type of show, Kinda like american idol, but life isn't that easy. Music is natural to me, plus I play 2-4 hours a day. I'd play more but once my fingers start to bleed I gotta stop.

(Quote : Some people are naturally Big, Some people workout to get Big.
The Naturally Big people who workout will be bigger than all.)

I Love my my Grunge Metal, and the many songs that i'v written under this style. But if i cant make it doing the MainStream, then i'm gonna move to New orleans and become another Jazz/classical musician struggleing in the sun.

When i Bought my 7 string everyone gave a yea right kinda of responce. From that point on I made a Goal that everyone that hears me play my Conklin will say damn, Is that a Bass or a Guitar, Is that a White Guy or a Black guy, listen to that guy, holy Sh!t... Must be some old guy, No i'm 18 and i can rip out a fucking hole in your sweet little ear drumb from playing so damn fast you'll wana get on a Croch Rocket and see just how fast 200 MPH is. When you reach that 200MPH, if my riffs are still in your head you might just say "how fast is 300MPH?."

Keep the Tips comming all, anything helps at this point.

I dont get butt hurt, i get Brain hurt from thinking to fucking much.

Not trying to Flame mate, Just saying. Ya know?

Slavematic Sound said:
First off i'm not a fucking Wuss, I know Wing Chun Kung Fu and my type doesn't anger that easy. Also, if You think because you can play a 4 string, that u can jump on a Conklin GT-7 string and Tear it up, your full of your self. It takes Hours and Hours/days and days and years of practice to get use to a 7 string Bass. I can pick up a 7 string Guitar and play the hell out of it, but i'v never meet a Guitar player than could handle my 3 3/4 inch neck, let alone anyone who plays a 4 string. Every party/ show I go to i see another Bass player playing what the Guitars wrote for him. Just because your Group wont let u tear it up, doesn't mean that u can flame on Bass Players that actually practice on writeing Hard to play music like Classical solos, or Slap riffs.

Dont get me wrong Friend, thanks for the advice. No Hate comming from me. The Best Guitar player i'v ever Meet played his own solos as fast and as clean as Kurt Hammet in his best day. Point being that your Right, Just because i'm good doesn't mean i'm gonna make it. Thats why i'm here asking for advice on how to make it.

Every Local musician in my area will back me up when i say i'm the best damn Bass Player in Ga- from 15-24. I'd do anything for Metallica to make an American Band type of show, Kinda like american idol, but life isn't that easy. Music is natural to me, plus I play 2-4 hours a day. I'd play more but once my fingers start to bleed I gotta stop.

(Quote : Some people are naturally Big, Some people workout to get Big.
The Naturally Big people who workout will be bigger than all.)

I Love my my Grunge Metal, and the many songs that i'v written under this style. But if i cant make it doing the MainStream, then i'm gonna move to New orleans and become another Jazz/classical musician struggleing in the sun.

When i Bought my 7 string everyone gave a yea right kinda of responce. From that point on I made a Goal that everyone that hears me play my Conklin will say damn, Is that a Bass or a Guitar, Is that a White Guy or a Black guy, listen to that guy, holy Sh!t... Must be some old guy, No i'm 18 and i can rip out a fucking hole in your sweet little ear drumb from playing so damn fast you'll wana get on a Croch Rocket and see just how fast 200 MPH is. When you reach that 200MPH, if my riffs are still in your head you might just say "how fast is 300MPH?."

Keep the Tips comming all, anything helps at this point.

I dont get butt hurt, i get Brain hurt from thinking to fucking much.

Not trying to Flame mate, Just saying. Ya know?

Then record something, and back it up dumbass. I guarantee, you're overselling yourself.

Just stop being obsessive and play music, damn. And so you know, I just turned 18, so I haven't exactly "played the game and lost" yet. I'm still playing. :Smug:

Well mate, a couple of things:

1-You arent going to endear yourself to other musicians by being arrogant, the proof lies with :
a-the playing
b-wether what you write is good and others like it, ie, wether your songwriting ability strikes a chord
c-wether you can get past your technical ability and play what needs to be played rather than what can be played. You could play a million notes a second and sick shit, but unless your target audience is muso's, they ain't going to understand it. For example: Primus (who's main hits where the ones where les DIDN'T go mental and all over the place)
Also think of this, if people think of you as an arrogant wanker because you run around telling them how good you are and nothing else, it isnt going to endear you to anyone, and to be honest, this is the music industry, your career is half about talking and dealing with bullshit artists, so anyone that may seem like one gets ignored. So do tone down blabbing that you are the greatest thing since sliced bread, because there is always someone better without fail. I will guarantee you this. Also, you may be shit hot in your town, but you may find that you move up to a bigger pond that the fish are a lot bigger, and you might be the small one.
Having said that, a lot of bands rely on a writing chemistry between people to make something that is greater than tyhe sum of its parts, literally. Having one songwriter may get you somewhere, but ideally you will need more than just one input (which is why it is a band), also realise that some of the best songwriters aren't the best players, and that you being condescending to someone you think can't play may end up with you losing someone who would get better while being dedicated who has an amazing sense for music and writing.

2-If you're going to try and make it, there are no gaurantees, it's all a bit hit and miss, and may involve years of hard work only to see a band ripping you off make it huge and for you to never get the recognition you think you should. It's all about the right place and the right time, but you dont know untill you try. And you should try, but be prepared for poverty, hard graft, living in shit holes, working shit jobs and touring with 7 people and all your gear in a van in last nights vomit.

3-If you are that serious about being the next big thing, then consider that along with music you are going to need an image which kids'll buy into, sorry, but that's the way it goes. If everyone could predict what the next big thing would be then we'd all be loaded.

4-Good luck. It's sometimes a difficult life and has it's lows, but at the same time the highs are incredible.

James

lol hell ya man, thanks for the big picture. All i'm saying is that my music skills aren't the problem, finding people who can play my shit is. I am arrogant. As a Young Ghetto American pride and music is all i have. As far as image goes, your right. There is always someone better than i am, or than you are*. I'd Do anything to find a pair of Guitar players 15-24 that would make me look like a noobie on the bass, anything! I'm a good song writer, but i cant find people around me that are too. I dont wana write everyones part in the band. There is a Drummer in my area who fucking kicks my ass at music talent, But hes in a band, and there bass player is a rich little fuck whos dad pays for everything they do. So basicially hes more of value than i.

As far as Groove and rythm goes, Laff*
Groove tools 7 string, i feel inlove with the name just as much as the machine. i was born with rythm. i'm not gonna sit here and tell everyone how good or bad i am. All i wanted to know was how the fuck can i find musicians my age that can play with my skills? These days people watch a shit load of TV or play Video games. I dont even watch TV. Everytime i ever get the erge to do something like watch tv, i dont allow my self. Instead i listen or play music.

Quote:
(The difficulty for simple minded people is dealing with life, The difficulty for
non-simple minded people, is dealing with simple minded people.) Spook 714.

You guys are great, thanks for helping and shit, no matter the clock, time is right.

I understand where you're coming from. I'm in South Carolina. I know Atlanta is more musically exciting that Columbia. I pretty do music almost all of my up time. Mostly listening, but also a lot of playing. I don't really have any suggestions on how to find other people. Just go out and meet people in the local music scene I guess.

I finally got a Lead on Bill Dickens, I'm saving all my money right now and i'm working on getting a Midi for my PC so i can post some of my stuff. If all goes well, and i meet Bill Dickens, My journey could be Set and my Path could be Paved. Give me a few weeks, and i'll post my sounds.

Why the hell would you need "a MIDI" (whatever the fuck that means) to record anything? Don't you have a soundcard?! Just take a preamp feed from your rig and plug into the Line In. I think people aren't interested in your production skills or the quality of your recordings. They just want to know if your fingers are as fast as your mouth.

1. Find a band
2. Make good fucking music
3. Get an Indie Label

From that point, you could either become famous... or play small gigs for the rest of your life. Hell, I'd do it. All that crap about sneaking past security is a load of shit. I cant find a good band, because im 14. Since you should be able to drive, there should be no big problem. Keep in mind that the first band your in wont be the last one. If you find some guys who are fairly decent, just fucking play music, and as the scene opens up to you you'll meet more people and at some point find a band you like.