Recording on your computer...

dont know about Mac, but for PC:
get an M-Audio Audiophile soundcard, they make several between 3 and 5oo,( I use the delta 44 and it rules) and cubase or sonar (0-400, depending on how crafty you are). you can get the stripped down versions of cubase or cakewalk or logic, but honestly I think they all suck. spend the cash and get something good. the new cubase and nuendo kill pro tools IMO.
youll need alot of storage, RAM and a fast processor.
if you were to provide more information, such as what you intend to do on your system, perhaps I could help more, but this I feel is a totally basic breakdown of the essentials.

Originally posted by DCLXVI
dont know about Mac, but for PC:
get an M-Audio Audiophile soundcard, they make several between 3 and 5oo,( I use the delta 44 and it rules) and cubase or sonar (0-400, depending on how crafty you are). you can get the stripped down versions of cubase or cakewalk or logic, but honestly I think they all suck. spend the cash and get something good. the new cubase and nuendo kill pro tools IMO.
youll need alot of storage, RAM and a fast processor.
if you were to provide more information, such as what you intend to do on your system, perhaps I could help more, but this I feel is a totally basic breakdown of the essentials.
For PC I can recommend you creative LIVE! soundcard, it has a very interesting device called soundfont!!:rolleyes:

i use an echo layla with a fast computer with butt loads of ram and a big harddrive. for software, i have nuendo and cubase. i've used cool edit and its a good starter program, and pretty cheap. i've also used motus, and if i had the cash, i'd have one of those. you'll also want to get some monitors, like event 20/20. depends on what you want. demos, pro recordings, songwriting tools, whatever.

Originally posted by The Wanderer
i use an echo layla with a fast computer with butt loads of ram and a big harddrive. for software, i have nuendo and cubase. i've used cool edit and its a good starter program, and pretty cheap. i've also used motus, and if i had the cash, i'd have one of those. you'll also want to get some monitors, like event 20/20. depends on what you want. demos, pro recordings, songwriting tools, whatever.

I'm just looking for being able to record stuff on my computer without it sounding like complete ass. I don't really need to know software I can pretty much expirment with that on my own. I just need to know what hardware would be needed...

I don't think you'll need much hardware. If you've got an amp or an effects box that sound good and has a line out jack, you can plug that into the line in socket of the soundcard. You might need a cable converter though.

I'm going to get a small mixer for controlling the input levels in an easier way. That is going to cost me a couple of 100 $'s I guess.

Shielded cables might also improve the overall sound if you've got a lot of electronic equipment around the recording area.

A keyboard isn't a must-have (you can edit each MIDI track by hand in the computer too), but I think it's handy to have. A simple MIDI controller keyboard doesn't cost much, but make sure that it's touch sensitive and has pitch- and modulation wheels. I'm told Roland makes one that is really good. I got a noname brand for maybe $50 that does everything I want it to do.

Here's one thing to be wary of though:

In the case of my computer, my soundcard (AWE64) can't record audio and output it simultaneously if I'm also using wavetable MIDI. This means that I can't hear myself playing while I'm recording (sucks a lot), so I'm putting another soundcard in to be used only for monitoring.

The really difficult thing for me has been to get good sounding drums. Most MIDI drumkits suck an awful lot. Recently though I've found a sample collection called "Drumkit from Hell" (http://drumkit.toontrack.com/) that has *awesome* drum sounds. I'll have to switch program to something that can use it though - ProTools, New Cubase or Logic - and I haven't gotten that far yet.

Im not sure if My soundcard has a Line in spot where the fuck would I find that?

Originally posted by Sunbane
If you've got an amp or an effects box that sound good and has a line out jack

Don't have one of those on my amp its a shitty Crate GFX-15

I've done three demos, and all my guitar stuff is recorded by plugging directly into the Line In port on the computer. All effects (distortion, flange, reverb etc.) can be added digitally to the raw signal. My soundcard came with the computer, I've got no idea what it is, except that it's Soundblaster compatible.

My software doesn't have a multitrack capability, so I record the file onto a tape in my hi-fi and play (into the computer) over that.

For distorted sounds, I have no problems. For clean sounds, I start by GEQ-ing the file; my card doesn't capture the high end as much as I would like, but a little editing and it's fine. I've been using Soundforge XP from the start and had no issues with it, but if I was recording a full band instead of just me I'd probably go for Cakewalk so I could record all the tracks more quickly.

Don't have one of those on my amp its a shitty Crate GFX-15

Ah, that does present a problem. =(

I guess you could rig a mike in front of the amp and run that to "mic in" on the soundcard, but my guess is that it would sound more or less like crap and have lots of problems with uncontrollable feedback. It's hard to say unless you actually try it.

My advice would be to get a multieffect floorpedal (those have earphone jacks that you can use for line out) and use it with a good distortion pedal (the distortion in the multieffect boxes sounds nasty in most cases IMO). I bought a Zoom 2020 second hand for about $100, and that's what I use.

You could try with just a distortion pedal that you run to "mic in" (while being CAREFUL with the volume setting)...but I've tried that, and it's pretty much impossible to make it sound good.

even for basic computer recording, i think you should get a sound card with a breakout box. a delta or a layla or something. i wouldnt' rely on shitty soundblasters and stuff. you can find simple ones for pretty cheap. one or two inputs is all you need.

Originally posted by lord667
My mic in and line in jacks are one and the same, you just choose which one you're using in the software.

Ahhh alright but mines headphone jack size so id just need to get a converter thing that converts guitar cable size to headphone size right?

Originally posted by Sunbane
I bought a Zoom 2020 second hand for about $100, and that's what I use.

My friend has one of those he'd probably give it to me free since he dosent use it anymore

Originally posted by Magicawe
Ahhh alright but mines headphone jack size so id just need to get a converter thing that converts guitar cable size to headphone size right?

Right. They aren't too hard to come by; mine was free with the microphone, and any decent electronics shop ought to have one. Try Tandy or Radio Shack.

Originally posted by lord667
Right. They aren't too hard to come by; mine was free with the microphone, and any decent electronics shop ought to have one. Try Tandy or Radio Shack.

Yeah, I knew that I was just making sure.

if you do get into computer recording (or any recording for that matter) eventually you will find yourself with a box full of wierd little connectors, cables, cords and assorted crap youll use at one time or another.
recording nerds keep such collections handy at all times, and the obscurity of some of your adaptors will be a source of pride in the years to come!

hey

i like this thread, i have a question though:

I am using cakewalk tracks, i have a SB live+ card (cost about $200) and use a shure microphone. I really dont like the sound quality I get.

I also tried to do direct hookup from guitar thourght the digitech gnx3 multieffect and into the pc, but again, the sound quality is worse than demo. Any ideas if im doing something wrong or what?

sfarog

In what way is it sounding off? Does it sound overdistorted or is it picking up interference of any kind?

The thing I'd try first is setting the output level of the effect box really low and see if it improves. If not, try it louder.

I also have to play the guitar facing away from the computer, or it will pick up interference from my monitors...