Recording via computer

Ravenous Enemy said:
OK looks like there are people who know what they're talking about here - I have Cakewalk home studio and I want to know how to start recording. I want to know the simplest way to plug my guitar into the computer and record onto Cakewalk. I understand that you can record a midi keyboard onto Cakewalk, but I assume you can't do this with a guitar? I have a crappy Zoom multi-effect pedal could that be used as some kind of pre-amp or something? I realise the first thing I need to get is a jack to convert 1/4 inch into the smaller one to plug in the comp.. Is that all I need? Thanks.

hey, first buy that converter plug, and then plug it in and try.. technically you can record it, but perhaps you wont like the sound.. Try. Thats all. If signal is low, try in "mic in" but that will be noisy. By the way, there are "real-time" software guitar effects too. I think they are crappy, but still a chance. And get Cool Edit because its noise reduction tool rocks.

Elysian Blaze said:
What do you guys think of the Line 6 GuitarPort? I saw it at MusiciansFriend.com and thought it would be something that would come in handy for computer-based recording in regards to a small budget. Any of you guys have experience with one, yet?

my bf uses that thingie and it absolutely rocks!
download guitarport 2.0 update from net. it makes better sounds and stuff like that.......

Hi Guys
Just checking out the different forms and came across your thread. If you check into the IMG thread, there are a great group of musicians that have been recording via computers for the past 3 years.

You can post some of your questions there and the group will be more then happy to answer your recording questions.

take care
Constantine :headbang:

I have a creative labs 'Extigy soundcard' which is fucking sexy, unless you're just fucking about its important to have a good sound card so the quality is good. I use my Line6 flextone2XL to record via the midi ports on the back....program i use is cubase which is probably my favourite, and you can download drum loops via cubase.

I guess I would really need to know EXACTLY what you plan on recording. what your budget is and if you want any expandability.