Computer music composing

fenrisulven

Die tepes
Feb 12, 2003
Odda trondheim Norway
www.mp3.com
Okay, I have desided im gonna try to mix music on the computer. I wonder if there is a software that has a drum machine and shit. Im gonna hook my gitar up to the computer also. I just wonder if there anyone else who does this, and what program do u use. Its just for composeing music, and it would help if the software is easy to use.

I have been recording music on my pc for a few years now. I use Cakewalk Sonar for multitracking and mixing. Its an awesome piece of software that truly lets you be creative. It comes with a Dr008 drum machine plug-in and Livesynth Pro which lets you use soundfonts. To record my guitar i use the digital output from my Digitech RP21d, which sounds pretty good. Sonar comes with some cool eq and compressor plugins which help you to get the sounds you want.

Originally posted by fenrisulven
Okay, I have desided im gonna try to mix music on the computer. I wonder if there is a software that has a drum machine and shit. Im gonna hook my gitar up to the computer also. I just wonder if there anyone else who does this, and what program do u use. Its just for composeing music, and it would help if the software is easy to use.

Well, Emagic´s Logic is rather nice. It´s easy to use, easy to get into, is relatively stable, and doesn´t look all that shabby either (i.e. there´s not a bunch of confusing psychadelic colours all over the place). Unfortunately, Emagic have scrapped this program (I think they´re only developing it further on the Mac or something like that), so an alternative to Logic is Cubase (Cubase SX, I guess, as it´s the newest version). In my opinion, Cubase is not as user-friendly as Logic and it is infamous for having problems with stability (unless you have a mighty 3 billion dollar ´puter), which can be a right pain in the bumhole. However, I have been told that Steinberg (creators of Cubase) have fixed this constant crashing. I have yet to experience a Cubase that doesn´t crash every fifteen minutes, though, so I´ll just wait on giving it the proper praise.

Then if you´re going to MIX the music, there´s a whole slew of other programs to use. I´m not too familiar with these, though, as I´ve only used one of those programs (WaveLab) a couple of times.

Well, happy hunting.

Originally posted by U[Sic]M
Well, Emagic´s Logic is rather nice. It´s easy to use, easy to get into, is relatively stable, and doesn´t look all that shabby either (i.e. there´s not a bunch of confusing psychadelic colours all over the place). Unfortunately, Emagic have scrapped this program (I think they´re only developing it further on the Mac or something like that), so an alternative to Logic is Cubase (Cubase SX, I guess, as it´s the newest version). In my opinion, Cubase is not as user-friendly as Logic and it is infamous for having problems with stability (unless you have a mighty 3 billion dollar ´puter), which can be a right pain in the bumhole. However, I have been told that Steinberg (creators of Cubase) have fixed this constant crashing. I have yet to experience a Cubase that doesn´t crash every fifteen minutes, though, so I´ll just wait on giving it the proper praise.

Then if you´re going to MIX the music, there´s a whole slew of other programs to use. I´m not too familiar with these, though, as I´ve only used one of those programs (WaveLab) a couple of times.

Well, happy hunting.

Yes I've been waiting for you to show up and say these stupid things.

OK first thing's first pops, why would emagic no longer develop Logic for Mac? Are you this stupid? Can't you THINK for one second before you speak? It's obviously the PC version that is no longer developed.

Second, what's the latest PC version of Logic? Pro Tools Free isn't going to work out since I can't use DFH and Reason and stuff like that with it. So I'm trying Logic next and then I will let you know the TRUTH about it once and for all!

Third, Cubase SX is "infamous" for not working on YOUR computer, and maybe a friend or two of yours. I've made two amazing songs very successfully with it.

Fourth, what is it that "MIX" programs like Wavelab can do that Logic, Cubase, Sonar, etc. can't? I've never used any "MIX" programs.

Fifth (not for Sic) Fruity Loops only makes drumloops as far as I know. Not for multitrack recording, other than that you can create drum loops and stuff in it for use in a multitrack recorder. I think, not sure though.

Sixth (not for Sic either, well partly), yes, Sonar is good. I'm guessing it's better than Logic, but we'll see.

Originally posted by Mattias of the Night
Yes I've been waiting for you to show up and say these stupid things.

OK first thing's first pops, why would emagic no longer develop Logic for Mac? Are you this stupid? Can't you THINK for one second before you speak? It's obviously the PC version that is no longer developed.

Second, what's the latest PC version of Logic? Pro Tools Free isn't going to work out since I can't use DFH and Reason and stuff like that with it. So I'm trying Logic next and then I will let you know the TRUTH about it once and for all!

Third, Cubase SX is "infamous" for not working on YOUR computer, and maybe a friend or two of yours. I've made two amazing songs very successfully with it.

Fourth, what is it that "MIX" programs like Wavelab can do that Logic, Cubase, Sonar, etc. can't? I've never used any "MIX" programs.

Fifth (not for Sic) Fruity Loops only makes drumloops as far as I know. Not for multitrack recording, other than that you can create drum loops and stuff in it for use in a multitrack recorder. I think, not sure though.

Sixth (not for Sic either, well partly), yes, Sonar is good. I'm guessing it's better than Logic, but we'll see.

Of course you´ve been waiting for me to say stuff like this, it´s what I do (at least part of what I do): Inform people of how Logic is marginally better than Cubase, that is.

First, WHAT? Are you IIIIIIINNNNNSANE?! I didn´t write that they had stopped developing it for Mac. I wrote that they had stopped developing it for PC and thus implied that they were only further developing it for Mac.

Second, latest version of Logic? Well, it depends on which Logic you´re gonna get. There´s Platinum, Gold and Audio, I believe. I, the stud and all-around hunk that I am, use Logic Platinum because my intellect is shiny like newly polished platinum. 4.7 is the newest version, I think.

Third, I said CUBASE, not Cubase SX, is known for crashing the shit out of computers all around the world (I know, cuz that piece of shit Cubase VST and Cubasis or whatever they´re called pissed me off doing it, which is why I use Logic). Steinberg claims they have cleaned up their act now with Cubase SX and eliminated this bug. I´ll have to see about that, as I´m gonna try out SX in the near future, to see what all the fuzz is about. Two songs, you say? HA! I´ve made four with DOOMDAMN on Logic. All totally killer and mind-blowing.

Fourth, uhm, yeah, I´m not too up-to-date with Mixing and Mastering programs myself, but I´ve been told that WaveLab is the shits when it comes to cleaning up the sounds and stuff. I don´t know.

1. Oh, I'm sorry, I sincerely appologize, I read your post wrong. I hope this did not inconvenience you in any way. Do you accept my appology?

2. Platinum is the big budget, pro, best one right?

3. My two Cubase SX songs are 50 times better than your 4 Logic songs, so I win.

4. I read on the protools boards about a program called t-racks or something like that yesterday. Some guy had mastered his shit in this program at first, and then he had gone to some nice, well reputated, pro mastering house and only got about equal quality, so he was mighty disappointed. That might be good too, unless he's a liar.

UPDATE: Logic Platinum 5.5 appears to be the newest version, it seems available for Windows! I'm downloading 2 CDs of 5.3 now though.

För det första, I, you are forgiven.

För det andra, II, yeah, Platinum is the grand mama of Logic, or, as Emagic says, "The most advanced Logic ever produced".

För det tredje, III, oh yeah? Well, I have a new homepage in the works for my latest opus, which is a heartbreaking story of a primate who´s been treated unjustly. It´s an epic song (clocking in at over 5 wholesome minutes...Beat that!) bound to make you cry, not because the music is bad - in fact, it´s extremely well thought-out and terrific - or anything, but because the storyline is so gripping and heartbreaking. You´ll see.

För det fjärde, IV, T-racks, eh? Might check that out, as I royally suck at mastering and mixing and I´ve been itching to learn it. You can only go so far with mixing and mastering in Logic and sound recording programs in general...which isn´t far at all.

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!! And here I´ve been fiddling around with 4.7!

Originally posted by serenesorrow
is sonar 2.0 xl the latest verision?

I think it's 2.2. XL is a fancier version with more stuff in it. The one with DR008 and crap is the XL, the regular non-XL doesn't come with it.

Hmmm... Very interesting thread. A few basic things to keep in mind when you plan to begin recording music.

The most important things ( from left to right ) when trying to make good music.

Direct recording to DAW ( like most of us are doing here I guess ):
Material -> Musician -> Instrument -> Pre-Amp -> A/D converter -> software

fenrisulven: I guess Sonar could be a good program for you. But also check out n-Track Studio. It's a small, easy to use multi track program. Some have stability problems with it but it has worked really well for me. It doesn't have a built in drum machine but you can use any VSTi drum machine with it e.g. LinPlug RM F. http://www.linplug.com/Products/RM_F/rm_f.htm
You can get free good quality drum samples from http://zerodecibel.free.fr/

Usually you use the same software for mixing as you do for recording. T-Racks 24 is a mastering tool. It's ok but not for professional use IMO. I like Sound Forge for mastering.

Hope that helps.

PS. I find it hard to make a song under five minutes long... ;)

I've got a copy of Fuity Loops and it's kinda cool but what I'm currently using is Reason made by Propellerhead software. It comes with a built in drum machine, sequencer, and it has a pretty decent synth as well.

If anyone would like to post a site to find some good drum samples it would be much appreciated.

-Chaos

Reason doesn't record audio, they're just software synths. So I use that along side with Cubase or Sonar or whatever, with the Rewire thing.

As for LM4, I prefer Battery over it.