Help Finding The Right Amp Head For Me???

fps

Sep 20, 2003
Hey all,

It's got to the point with my band that we need to have our own gear and settings, rather than borrowing from other bands at shows, so we can sound like ourselves every night, with our own sound, and take all the hassle and risk to our sound, as much as possible, out of the equation.

We play a broad spectrum of stuff. Some of it's hard rock, some thrashy metal, some grunge. I like a punchy clear sound (but not nasal, dislike upper mid spikes), and tend not to use as much gain as our other guitarist. Clean isn't the be-all and end-all, it's not destroy the world music, I want people to hear the notes, but it is heavy music, and it is riff-based, so obviously it needs some beef and chug. A coupla songs are gonna need something a touch more Crowbar-ish but it's not going to be the main sound. Provisionally I'm looking at going Marshall, a JCM of some kind.

What are the hard rock riffers out there using? You guys and the pros? BLS has great tone, I do like the Crowbar sound, but it's too much, and I love Soundgarden and AIC's tones. Any help is appreciated, I'm gonna search for info, but this could at least get a more customised response from the amp experts among you.

edit: how do i move this into the world's biggest amp advice thread just up there!?!??

What is your budget? The Peavey XXX (tube) and XXL (solidstate) are reliable, versatile and inexpensive. I use an XXL for both six- and seven-string guitars, initially as a cheap backup amp but now my main amp.

A Marshall JCM 800 would be good for some of what you described, or maybe a 900, but the current JVM might be better for the sake of versatility. There are also numerous digital or hybrid amps - Line 6, Peavey and Marshall all have their own "flavors" - if you aren't opposed to that sort of thing.

What is your budget? The Peavey XXX (tube) and XXL (solidstate) are reliable, versatile and inexpensive. I use an XXL for both six- and seven-string guitars, initially as a cheap backup amp but now my main amp.

A Marshall JCM 800 would be good for some of what you described, or maybe a 900, but the current JVM might be better for the sake of versatility. There are also numerous digital or hybrid amps - Line 6, Peavey and Marshall all have their own "flavors" - if you aren't opposed to that sort of thing.

I'm going second hand, so I can get something high-quality that is in good condition. My budget is about £500, not sure of the conversion rate. No objection to digital but it's not really the sound I'm after, need something a little more organic than that I think. Peavey XXX interests me for sure, heard it literally doesn't have a clean channel though??

I'm going second hand, so I can get something high-quality that is in good condition. My budget is about £500, not sure of the conversion rate. No objection to digital but it's not really the sound I'm after, need something a little more organic than that I think. Peavey XXX interests me for sure, heard it literally doesn't have a clean channel though??

Nope. That's the 5150 or 6505 series. The Triple XXX has a damn good clean channel and is much more versatile. I used to have a 6505+ which was fucking amazing for the price I got for second hand (unfortunately no proper clean channel though), but I recently traded it for a Framus Cobra.

I've never been a fan of any Valvstate amps that Marshall put out, but that 8100 is actually a damn good amp. I don't think I'll ever go back to solid state amps now, the sound of tubes are just amazing.

Nope. That's the 5150 or 6505 series. The Triple XXX has a damn good clean channel and is much more versatile. I used to have a 6505+ which was fucking amazing for the price I got for second hand (unfortunately no proper clean channel though), but I recently traded it for a Framus Cobra.

I've never been a fan of any Valvstate amps that Marshall put out, but that 8100 is actually a damn good amp. I don't think I'll ever go back to solid state amps now, the sound of tubes are just amazing.

Then I'll have a look at the XXX, thanks. Valvestate were awesome. I mean awful. Yeah, awful.

Bought a Randall V2 second hand for £400 absolute bargain. Well happy, it's arriving soooon!!

Oh thank god you got something worthwhile. The V2 is absolutely brutal and can do damn near anything you want. Watch the low to low-mid frequencies though..that sumbitch will get boomy FAST!! :eek:

Oh thank god you got something worthwhile. The V2 is absolutely brutal and can do damn near anything you want. Watch the low to low-mid frequencies though..that sumbitch will get boomy FAST!! :eek:

mate i took it to practice for the first time tonight, the sound, the volume, the headroom on this thing!! i'm not a high-gain guy, i like my mids, i like clarity, heavy and huge, and this thing's got it. the distortion is so distinctive to this amphead- huuuge and heavy, but clear as glass, no fizz, milky upper-mids. (can hear it on Arch Enemy's Rise of the Tyrant and Mudvayne's The New Game)

as for boominess i have the bass down around 5 at the moment, could feel the air blasting against my legs- refreshing in a hot room. Bringing the 6-track eq into play gave me a bit too much boom so i'm gonna have to go back n work with it some more. It's gonna take a long time before I have all my settings down for sure, but I can tell it's got what I want, and that's put a great big smile on my face.

now if only there was a way to make it 20lbs lighter....

mate i took it to practice for the first time tonight, the sound, the volume, the headroom on this thing!! i'm not a high-gain guy, i like my mids, i like clarity, heavy and huge, and this thing's got it. the distortion is so distinctive to this amphead- huuuge and heavy, but clear as glass, no fizz, milky upper-mids. (can hear it on Arch Enemy's Rise of the Tyrant and Mudvayne's The New Game)

as for boominess i have the bass down around 5 at the moment, could feel the air blasting against my legs- refreshing in a hot room. Bringing the 6-track eq into play gave me a bit too much boom so i'm gonna have to go back n work with it some more. It's gonna take a long time before I have all my settings down for sure, but I can tell it's got what I want, and that's put a great big smile on my face.

now if only there was a way to make it 20lbs lighter....

And not be so lop-sided when carrying it!! :lol: Why they decided to put a bigass transformer all the way to the side of the amp thus making it unbalanced is beyond me.