Help . . . I'm from Kansas.

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
OK. I have a job interview in San Luis Obispo, CA. I am ignorant about these things because I am young, dumb, and from Kansas.

I need help on the following questions:

1) How do I find a flight, that is quick and economical, from Wichita, KS to San Luis Obispo, CA?

2) Can somebody please give me a few pointers on post 9/11 flight etiquette? I haven't flown since before 9/11. In fact, I've only flown 5 or 6 times in my entire life.

3) What would be the proper thing to wear to a semi-formal to formal business style interview? Don't laugh, but I only have one suit jacket, and it is brownish/tan. I could wear it with tan or black pants. If you think I should buy another jacket, let me know.

4) Anything else a country bumpkin should know about flying to an interview?

Thanks a lot!:cool:

npearce said:
OK. I have a job interview in San Luis Obispo, CA. I am ignorant about these things because I am young, dumb, and from Kansas.

I need help on the following questions:

1) How do I find a flight, that is quick and economical, from Wichita, KS to San Luis Obispo, CA?

First check the following (you're intelligent enough to figure out how to search for a flight, but be forewarned, you'll most likely be asked to register for all the sites you choose to try out.
http://www.travelocity.com/?Service=TRAVELOCITY
http://www.orbitz.com
http://www.expedia.com/Default.asp?CCheck=1
http://www.flycheap.com
http://www.cheaptickets.com

If that fails, check the major airlines, though in your neck of the woods, specifically check:
http://www.iflyswa.com/ - Southwest Air
http://usair.com/ - US Airways
http://www.americawest.com/homeIE.asp - America West

You can do a google search for any others (also check Frontier, out of Denver, and Horizon, out of Seattle).

2) Can somebody please give me a few pointers on post 9/11 flight etiquette? I haven't flown since before 9/11. In fact, I've only flown 5 or 6 times in my entire life.

I honestly don't know the security at any airports that you'd fly out of (never having been to Kansas), but a good rule-of-thumb is to arrive at the terminal or gate to check-in 2 hours before your flight is scheduled to take off. The nation's airports will definitely be involved in heightened security that we've gone to a Level 4 Threat. You can expect good, strong security, and slow-moving lines through metal detectors, etc. Expect to be wanded, and don't be surprised if you're asked to take your shoes off. Lastly, anything that might even possibly be construed as a weapon (or sharp), check. Don't try to bring it on the plane. Usually if you're patient, it all goes very well.

3) What would be the proper thing to wear to a semi-formal to formal business style interview? Don't laugh, but I only have one suit jacket, and it is brownish/tan. I could wear it with tan or black pants. If you think I should buy another jacket, let me know.

First off Nate, what type of company are you interviewing with? If it's a stereotypical city company, you'll want to to at least wear pressed pants and a jacket, with a conservative colored-shirt & matching tie. It's hard for me to guess, because I live near New York, and grey or black suit is still fairly mandatory. If you're interviewing with a "new" or "fun" or "laidback" or "techie/internet" company, you'll be lucky if they don't ask you to remove the jacket. :)

4) Anything else a country bumpkin should know about flying to an interview?

Are you staying overnight at all? Line up a nice dinner and treat yourself. Then ask a semi-normal looking local where all the tail is at. Go there. Drink. Board plane, come home. :D

Thanks a lot!:cool:

I fly about 12-15 times per year, so be my guest to ask me anything else you want.

Damn bro, do you work as a headhunter? :D

I can't add to what markgugs has thoroughly explained, but I will tell you to definitely check out the local scenery in San Louie and if you are a fan of good beer, some of the best microbrews are in that area. SLO Brewery comes HIGHLY recommended!

Thanks for the advice Markgugs and NAD. The interview is a month away, so I'll probably need more advice as I move throught the process. There might be other interviews as well.

Markgugs: The interview will be with a community commercial bank. I work at a bank that is pretty similar right now, but my current bank doesn't require a suit jacket. So I only have the one jacket. I need to get a black jacket sometime anyway.

In that case, it can never hurt to phone ahead and actually ask what the dress code is at the bank. Then dress 1 step nicer. If men are allowed to dress business casual, then wear a jacket & tie, etc.

npearce said:
How often do flight ticket prices change? If I wait a day or two to order tickets, will there be much of a price difference?

There is a 21/14/7 day rule. If you buy within 7 days of flying, they charge you an arm and a leg. So buy early if you want a cheaper confirmed ticket.

If you wait a day or two, then you just need to monitor whether you're going over the 21 - 14 -7 day timeframe. Does that make sense?

I didn't figure I could get a good answer there.

Here's another one.

Can anybody recommend a good garment bag? I will need to carry a suit, shoes, and other basic items in it. I am also 6'2" and about 210lbs. So I need a pretty good size bag to keep from smashing everything too much. If possible, I'd like to be able to use it for carry on. Oh . . . and I don't have a lot of money.

Thanks.

npearce said:
I didn't figure I could get a good answer there.

Well sometimes there could be a delay for the plane getting in. Or the crew have worked too many hours, and aviation law dictates that a pilot can only work 16 hours at a time - so they need to find a new crew. The permutations/combinations are endless...but weather is the main culprit for delays.

Here's another one.

Can anybody recommend a good garment bag? I will need to carry a suit, shoes, and other basic items in it. I am also 6'2" and about 210lbs. So I need a pretty good size bag to keep from smashing everything too much. If possible, I'd like to be able to use it for carry on. Oh . . . and I don't have a lot of money.

Thanks.

Are you nervous about this trip or something? Just relax, make a list of the things you need, and go to your local mall. There are typically three size suitcases you can get - you want the medium sized one. The large one will not fit into the overhead compartment, so you will have to check it at the counter. Then you have to wait for it to turn up on the carousel at the other end. It's a pain.

Ask our Dark One about his return trip from Hawaii. That will put your mind at ease....:saint:

I hate the mall. I guess I'll have to go and check out luggage and suits, though. I might find a bag I like, then order it online. The malls in Wichita are very expensive.

Thanks guys.

haddsie said:
Depends on the weather.

Unfortunately, it depends on a whole lot more than the weather.

Most airlines run the majority of their flights at or near 75% "on-time" status. But things like "rush hour" at airports, (yes) weather, technical problems, etc. will all affect the likeliness that flights will take off and land on schedule.

Nathan, go to any major department store; if you're lucky, MOST will offer 2 or 3-piece sets of luggage, and 1 of them is almost ALWAYS a garment bag. I will say this: if at all possible, get a strong, sturdy garment bag, the kind with metal frame support, that zips up and locks. Have you ever seen how airport employees treat peoples' luggage? Trust me, this is worth a few extra bucks.

When buying luggage, I would aso think about how long you plan to stay, if you're in and out, go with the medium sized bag, and maybe a backpack of essentials as well.

As with most flights I've been on, there's always that crude feeling that you've forgotten something. My advice to you is just what Jay's was, relax. Bring a book, or even a portable CD player (along with a nice selection of CDs) for the trip, and the two hours before your plane loads.

NOTE: Oh and, if you take that backpack of essentials... stray away from finger nail clippers, files, scissors... like they said, any kind of sharp object that can be taken for a weapon. They've taken three of my best nail clippers away... you know, the one with all the toe jam on 'em. Just...damn is all I've got to say about that.

Enterprise & Hertz are almost always the best combination of price & car selection. If you're just looking for a "point A-to-point B" car, than any rental agency will do (Budget, Avis, etc.); if you need something with a CD player, I recommend Enterprise or Hertz, since they seem to have a better selection of the mid-sized and above cars (which normally have CD players). Lastly, if you're not good with directions or maps, Hertz is the ONLY rental company that offers OnStar in their cars for an add'l $8/day - that's the product that has a female voice map your route and speak to you, actually giving you directions as you drive. Not a bad idea in Southern Cali, where one wrong turn means South Central Los Angeles, lol.

Thanks. I ended up getting a car through Avis. It was a good deal, so I took it. I'm not sure what all the bank will pay for on this trip, so I'm trying to save money where I can.

San Luis Obispo is actually in the Central Coast region of Cali. It is half way between San Fransisco and LA. Here's a good site to check out, if anybody cares.

www.sanluisobispocounty.com