help improve my gear/tone

innovine1

New Metal Member
Jan 24, 2012
Hey all,
I really could do with some help for improving my tone! I don't have much of a budget to work with though. I have a crappy no-name guitar with no-name pickups, going into a behringer DI and then Guitar Rig 5 (cheapest setup imaginable :)

I want a nice sludgy or postmetal sound, like amenra, tides, etc, some chunky chugg chugg but a lot of chords too. I

What should I upgrade to get a bit better tone? Everything sounds fizzy right now. Does the choice of pickups matter if its just going into Guitar Rig anyway? I don't want to spend more than a few hundred bucks, so what can I get for that? Will I even notice an improvement for that small amount of money?

I should add that I record at home, at night, with a sleeping family, so a real amp is out of the question. Live stage use is far, far in the future.

Goodly innovine1! Certainly ye pickups of thine string'eth-six-banshee play a parte most important in thine overall tone'age.

In addition, ye interface into thine computo-box 'tis of highest importance. Doth ye know'eth this device's rate of conversion from analog to digital? (For instance "24-bit/192kHz"?) A credo thee must remember, dear innovine1: quality in lead'eth to quality out!

This post now concludeth!

naa, I don't know that. It's just the inbuilt Line In on my laptop so it's probably rubbish. I've been looking at a Focusrite Saffire 6, do you think that'd be the best place to start, and maybe try new pickups a little later? I've read some good things about DiMarzio Super Distortion...

Forsooth! Ye Focusrite Saffire VI 'tis a fine choice, dear innovine1.
Ye Dimarzio Super Distortion be'ith a most celebrated pickup, which thee hath undoubtedly hearde in many Metallic odes. Lords Dave Murray and Adrian Smith both employ'eth this pickup, as well as ye Space Ace of Kiss!

This post now concludeth!