help me build my computer!!!!

goth_fiend

happiness is jagermiester
Jan 15, 2004
california
heres my lowdown I want to build a MONSTER computer, a computer that will be able to handle anything Im able to throw at it, gigastudio, pro-tools, you name it, I want to be able to handle it. heres the thing, I dont know squat about modern computers, my latest computer (excluding the one I use for the net) is a pentium mmx overcloaked to 366mhz (yeah, its that old) the one thing I do know for sure Is that I want a pentium 4 chipset and a badass case like this one

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1289171&CatId=1509

Hmm I would go with an AMD processor but whatever you prefer. ASUS motherboard, umm get a few hard drives I guess, I use western digital for regular use and backup, and seagate for just backup. For video card, go with something from Nvidia. I'm not sure which card to prefer bcuz I don't know how much your willing to spend. Get a pretty good power supply and CD-RW or DVD combo drive and that's pretty much it I guess. I have an AMD 2000+ processor, western digital hard drive, asus motherboard and a nividia geforce 6600 and my comp has been running fine for a year and half with not one crash or severe problem yet.

I'll add more to this later, I can help you out with more stuff but I got to go for now.

nVIdia graphics for sure, that much I know, as for my budget, I would really like to stay at around $1000 at the most

Alright, do you know what TYPE of video card your getting? AGP or PCI-Express? You need to know that to know what kind of motherboard you need to get. Also, with the case, it could have a tendancy to rattle a bit. I got rid of that problem pretty easily but it's still kinda noisy. As long as you don't need absolute silence it'll be fine, it doesn't annoy me a bit.

so heres whats up so far that I know is ironclad

P4 chipset w/ pci-ex graphic's port
2 gigs ram
250GB HD
DVD-R

i'm not so sure on this, but you have to get certain ram depending on your motherboard (or it's something in regards to motherboards and another part). sorry if i'm wrong

Deathroller said:
i'm not so sure on this, but you have to get certain ram depending on your motherboard (or it's something in regards to motherboards and another part). sorry if i'm wrong
Yeah you can't just get any RAM, I'm not too sure which brand to recommend, I've always gotten Kingston, but that's pretty basic, there are other types out which boost performance, I'm not really an expert in RAM though.

I wish I had enough money to build my own comp. i hate having to share this pc with my brother

im doing this over the coarse of the next 2-4 months, maybe longer, we will see how much everything will cost, luckily I have a spare copy of XP here

goth_fiend said:
so heres whats up so far that I know is ironclad

P4 chipset w/ pci-ex graphic's port
2 gigs ram
250GB HD
DVD-R

It might be better to get 2 120 gigs instead of going for the 250 maybe, or get 2 250's if you can, so you have one to back up stuff. I have 3 hard drives, I use one for running xp, and I have 2 for backing up stuff, I unplug the 2 I use for backups when Im not using them. It's a good thing to have if something ever goes wrong.

With your budget and preferences (like Intel), I'd go with:

ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe (socket 478, max 2GB RAM, AGP x1 PCI x5)
2.8Ghz or so CPU with HT (if you see a 3.0+ for under $200, go for it)

Cooling: Zalman copper series HSF, replace stock 80mm/120mm fans with Cooler Master, AC Silencer for whatever VGA you choose, Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound, and I'd upgrade the stock PSU with a Cooler Master with a 120mm, minimum 450W.

Maxtor HDD, Viking RAM (as much as possible), and the remaining basics (CD/floppy drives, cables, etc).

Should make it under $1000 no problem.

PCI-E is faster for graphics, but the boards, VGA's, and RAM (DDR2 only as far as I've seen), will blow your budget away before it even resembles a PC. As of now that shit's really only necessary for hardcore online high-end gamers.