help me build my computer!!!!

friend of mine built a "top of the line" computer like what dell and alienware put out for 3k+ for just under 1200, that included the moniters, and thanks so far guys, keep up the suggestions, I will be on later tonight anywho but right now im getting ready for work, and feeling like shit

you're going to want to go dual core, and i would highly recommend an amd dual core over an intel, amd just trounces them there... the system i built for you would do well for gaming and audio editing, as well as many many multimedia apps.

BasilisK said:
Cooling: Zalman copper series HSF

It's pretty useless to replace the original heatsink if you're not going to overclock. Of course, if you only buy the tray-version of the processor, you'll need to buy the HSF separately.

As for the HDD's, I'd suggest to get Seagate or Western Digital. I use Seagates myself and have been happy with them, but more and more people seem to go for WD.

For RAM I would go for Corsair, OCZ or G.Skill. Although I have no experience of these manufaturers myself, these are widely used and trusted manufacturers.

For graphics card I'd get at least a Geforce 6800GS, you can get one below $200 easily.

For PSU I'd suggest a Seasonic S12-430, it's quiet and efficient. Although, if you want to be sure that future hardware upgrades won't force you to upgrade you PSU right off the bat, get the S12-500 model.

Since goth_fiend seems to have set his mind on getting an Intel-based system, I'm not gonna recommend any CPU or motherboard. Not going to comment on any cases either, as I find the case to be more like a user-preference item. Though I will say that be sure to get a case with at least two or three places for additional fans, so you can get a good airflow throughout the case, thus affecting HDD, gfx, chipset and CPU temperatures (of course you'll have to buy the fans, too =P ).

thanks guys, every computer I have every used is an intel based computer so Im pretty decent with them, havent use amd, but I have heard very mixed things about them

goth_fiend said:
thanks guys, every computer I have every used is an intel based computer so Im pretty decent with them, havent use amd, but I have heard very mixed things about them
like what? i moved from intel to amd and am so glad i did. had a p4 2.4C@3ghz, when it died i moved to an amd 64 3000+ at 1.8ghz stock, then overclocked it to 2.8ghz, then sold that and got a x2 3800+(dual core) overclocked it to 2.6ghz, still have it in another box, then got an Opteron 170(dual core as well), overclocked it to 2.75, and its been running at that clock since i got it in november. rock solid stable, fast as a bastard, and still runs cooler than an intel even when overclocked. and outperforms virtually any home computer out there. and most of the amd "issues" were mainly from the origional athlon days, and were generally associated with VIA chipsets, when i ran athlons i ran amd chipsets and had 0 issues... the Nforce 4 chipset is easily the best chipset out right now, its incredible.

www.newegg.com

BUild it there, on your wishlist.

HEre's mine

Intel Pentium 4 640 Prescott 800MHz FSB Socket LGA 775

Foxconn 915P7AC-8KS Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 915P ATX Intel Motherboard

CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory

Thermaltake Silent Purepower W0019 ATX 480W Power Supply

System HDD - Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L160P0 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive

Media HDD - Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L300R0 300GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive

Programs & Games HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3120813AS 120GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive x 2

Optical Drive - LITE-ON Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache ATAPI/E-IDE 16X DVD±R DVD Burner

ATI 100-437509 Radeon X1600PRO 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro 70SB036000000 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card

And this is my case here, only without the gay things on the sides of the front.

cs_3188_1_big.jpg

Elysian893 said:
you'd be quite disappointed if you compared that P4 to a similarly priced AMD. you're obviously building that pc for performance, why would you put yourself a step behind with your processor?

cause then i have to desing and built the whole fucking thing all over again. no thanks.

i hate how they are all linked to gether, if you get a new mobo, you need a new processor, then a new graphics card, then all that shit doesn't fit in the case you have, so you gotta buy one of them, then you gotta change the power supplu out to accomodate the different kinds of power pins.

fuck that.

Wings of a dream said:
So you've got 4 HDs???

not yet, this is a continuing project, i need a new mobo and memory NOW. but everything else can wait.

bobvex said:
cause then i have to desing and built the whole fucking thing all over again. no thanks.

i hate how they are all linked to gether, if you get a new mobo, you need a new processor, then a new graphics card, then all that shit doesn't fit in the case you have, so you gotta buy one of them, then you gotta change the power supplu out to accomodate the different kinds of power pins.

fuck that.
you're a noob. all you would need is a different motherboard and processor. seriously, thats the most noob shit i've ever heard.

Elysian893 said:
you're a noob. all you would need is a different motherboard and processor. seriously, thats the most noob shit i've ever heard.

last i checked a good processor/mobo cost around 300 bucks.

and to tell the truth, i don't care whether it's AMD or Intel. intel is better for media, and AMD is for power.

bobvex said:
if you get a new mobo, you need a new processor, then a new graphics card...

This is pretty much how my upgrade started.
I decided I wanted a better processor, so as an AMD guy I was naturally looking at the socket 939 CPU's. That meant getting a new motherboard and since PCI-Express is now teh shit, I went for a PCI-E mobo and thus had to get a new gfx card. Then I thought I will probably need a better PSU, so off to look at them. And since I was getting all this, I thought why not get a new case too. :loco:

Since I had three 512MB ram sticks, I decided to leave one of them in the old system. So then to get the old system running too, all I needed was some hdd for it. Bought one used and so I now have two systems:

Old system:
AMD AthlonXP 2600+
MSI K7N2-Delta
Club3D Radeon 9600pro
Maxtor 60GB ATA
Apacer 512MB PC3200
LG 52x CD±R/RW
Eurocase MDL5412A BLACK w/ 350W PSU

New system:
AMD Athlon64 3200+
DFI Lanparty UT-nF4 Ultra-D
Club3D Geforce 7800GT (replaced the original cooler with a Zalman VF700-Cu)
2x Seagate Ultra-ATA 200GB
2x Transcend 512MB PC3200
NEC ND-3500A 16x DVD±R/RW
Seasonic S12-430
Compucase Midi-Server 6919

Have to mention about the new CPU that it is supposed to be a temporary solution. I wanted to get an Opteron but since AMD wasn't shipping them anywhere when I bought the new stuff, I decided to go for just some decent CPU at the moment and then get an Opteron later when they're available. Now they seem to be available but I don't have the money just yet :ill:

bobvex said:
last i checked a good processor/mobo cost around 300 bucks.

and to tell the truth, i don't care whether it's AMD or Intel. intel is better for media, and AMD is for power.
more noob shit, go look up some benches, amd is slaying intel in everything lately.