Help me figure out the tunings in Control Denied&Death

Deadpool

The Elysium
Apr 27, 2005
www.myspace.com
Steve,I have a question,I am kinda stuck with this tunning thing in Death and Control Denied because of lot's of different information around(in guitar pro tabs etc.)

In ITP and Human,You were tuned your bass DGCF right? There wasn't any standart tunning.( I think other Death albums are same) So what about Control Denied.When it comes to 5 str bass.I saw your breaking the broken tab on the site and its DGCFBb.First is it really like that because it is hard to tune like that with all this neck configuration...(with 4 str bass,the tuning changings r ; E become D,A become G etc.) It seems it should be ADGCF when you analyze changings from standart tunning of a 5 str bass.My question is why to tune DGCFBb? and What was the Guitar Tunnigs when You Tuned to DGCFBb?

P.S.:Sorry for english mistakes,It s not my motherlanguage so...

Guitar tuning was most likely the same for TFAoE, D standard (DGCFAD)...DGCFBb is D standard for a five string bass tuned tenor. if it was a six string, it'd be ADGCFBb, since there technically isn't a B#.

I don't remember where Steve said this specifically, but I believe (if I'm putting words in your mouth Steve, flame me all you want :zipit:) he said that he often has no use for the low notes that the low B string provides, so he strung it with a high C instead.

yep...Woolfwood,s right about tunings ,and as far as i remember this info was written either in gear area on his w.page or in these tabs you ve checked. Cheerz'n'greetz yall:kickass:

Ok thnx for the answers,so He doesn't use standart string order(which comes with a standart 5 str bass)instead of B string there is a C string which makes his bass 5 str bass.For this, is there any modification needed?I think you can't turn a stock 5 str into EADGC(with Steve usage DGCFBb) bass without changing Bridge etc.

You just need a normal string set plus the high C string. I've personally been using a normal five string set, minus a .105 and plus a .95 (so it's .130-.95-.85-.65-.45) but people say that can cause neck problems, so I don't recommend you do it.

I use a six string bass, so I don't have to worry about these things. But if you decide to use the same type of strings in the same tunign as Steve, it might possibly facilitate a truss rod adjustment, or even a change or modification to the nut if there's too much space in the slots.

You can strung your 5string with EADGC strings
tension of each string is balanced, so it won't cause neck problems (though you should check relief few hours after change)

is everybody here playing sixstrings? five strings but ! somethin'else? tenor 5 str.?did you ever played 4 string 20 fret design at all? geezzz ...

Just tune the 4 string to D standard (DGCF). You don't HAVE to have the 5 string to play Control Denied, but it does make it easier.

It works more me, at least, until I get my custom conklin 120 fret 30 string bass. =P

EDIT: ... with fanned frets. =)

Superior said:
Just tune the 4 string to D standard (DGCF). You don't HAVE to have the 5 string to play Control Denied, but it does make it easier.

Yeah, you don't necessarily have to have the high C to play CD stuff, but songs like Breaking the Broken are a lot easier with a five, instead of moving all around the fretboard for that pre-chorus part

thnx for your help guys,yea I know I can play the stuff in 4 str with DGCF tune I just didn't know that Steve doesn't use standart 5 str bass with standart tune but High C instead of Low B.I wondered How He tuned DGCFBb from BEADG but I see it was wrong He tuned DGCFBb from EADGC.anyway thnx four your help everyone.

This tab of consumed in Mysongbook is really cool if u just want the intro otherwise there is some little errors.I think you should get a guitar pro, that is very usefull.Instead of looking for text tabs you can listen them and find what you are looking for in one site

There's notation for the inro for Consumed on my website. I think there's a PowerTab version as well as a pdf file to view. I didn't use a fretless on that song at all. The tuning and positions are marked for high-tuned 5 string. But of course it's possible to play it on a 4 string. Just slide up 5 frets and all the notes can be found. Besides having a few extra high notes, the high C string has position advantages over 4 strings. You are correct when you say my tuning on that album goes from EADGC to DGCFBb. Although I don't like to manuever around a low B, I do use Hipshots on the low string, so I can get down lower than the normal tuned string. In this case with a low D I have it rigged to where I can get down to C or C#.
SDG

HippieOfDoom said:
There's notation for the inro for Consumed on my website. I think there's a PowerTab version as well as a pdf file to view. I didn't use a fretless on that song at all. The tuning and positions are marked for high-tuned 5 string. But of course it's possible to play it on a 4 string. Just slide up 5 frets and all the notes can be found. Besides having a few extra high notes, the high C string has position advantages over 4 strings. You are correct when you say my tuning on that album goes from EADGC to DGCFBb. Although I don't like to manuever around a low B, I do use Hipshots on the low string, so I can get down lower than the normal tuned string. In this case with a low D I have it rigged to where I can get down to C or C#.
SDG

Unrelated, but something I noticed is that the intro to What If is very very similar to Changing Weather. Intentional? :D

Steve thnx for your explication and time,I was wondering what was your tune in Quo Vadis- Defiant Imagination album.Was it DGCFBb either and what was/were the basse(s) that you used(ESP/Carvin or Both)BTW this album is really good, great job with all these incredible bass lines.