Help me find a studio guitar!

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

Now that my love affair with EMGs is over, I'm looking to load myself up with another guitar. I'm a bit clueless as to what's out there and desirable at the moment, so I had hoped to list off a few criteria and hopefully get some pointers from the more keyed-in plank spankin folks on here.

- The body wood must be mahogany. Ideally either with a natural finish, or with a quilt or flame maple veneer. Would love to avoid thick layering of lacquer, if possible.

- The neck should be mahogany, with an ebony fretboard - ideally set neck, rather than bolt on. The neck needs to be well crafted, with no warping, so that the intonation across the board is as close to perfect as possible, even with regular frets. The profile of the neck should, ideally, be close to the average Jackson profile, with similarly 'fast' feel.

- The scale should, ideally, be 26.5" or more. The guitar's ability to hold tune exceptionally well is absolutely mandatory.

- Unsure whether I want a 6 or a 7-stringer at the moment, so I'm happy to look at suggestions for either.

- Passive pickups as stock would be a bonus. I plan to replace them with a Seymour Duncan SH-6 and '59. That's unless the guitar happens to come with those in place.

- Stainless steel frets are a huge bonus. After getting them on my Hellraiser, there is no chance I'd want to play a guitar without them.

- No floating tremolo. Either a stop tail bridge or string-thru would be fine.

- Some kind of locking tuners like the new Grovers would be a nice bonus.

So... any starting points for me?

That some pretty specific specs. The 26.5" scale length is going to narrow down what is a available a lot.

Looking at those specs, I think you're best off finding a skilled luthier to make you a custom axe. The 26.5" scale requirement I find a bit odd, but if you're mainly dealing with very low tunings, I guess it's reasonable. And I'd strongly suggest not getting a 7-string for your main studio guitar unless the vast majority of your clients use them. A 7-stringer can feel horribly strange to someone used to 6-strings.

I can think of 0 production guitars with those specs.

26.5" I only know of 7-8 string schecters and the ibanez RGD. The RGD is obviously much different than your specs...

Definitely don't think you need those exact specs, but I do approve of wanting a longer scale length. I'm used to 27" now and I quite like it.... the tone is nicer for cleans (brighter), a little more crunchy with distortion, and intonation and tuning seem more accurate /table.

I'm not a huge fan of schecters, but I believe they just came out with a 30" baritone 6 string... Not sure of the rest of the specs, but it would be cool to check that thing out.

At least my Hellraiser C-1 was covered in a ridiculously thick layer of finish. Felt almost like plastic, and unfortunately I think it affected the tone as well. My current axe has a really, really thin layer of melamine finish, and it feels and sounds like proper, good wood. Dings easily, but sounds lovely.

Looking at those specs, I think you're best off finding a skilled luthier to make you a custom axe. The 26.5" scale requirement I find a bit odd, but if you're mainly dealing with very low tunings, I guess it's reasonable. And I'd strongly suggest not getting a 7-string for your main studio guitar unless the vast majority of your clients use them. A 7-stringer can feel horribly strange to someone used to 6-strings.
I agree with all of this if your budget allows.

At least my Hellraiser C-1 was covered in a ridiculously thick layer of finish. Felt almost like plastic, and unfortunately I think it affected the tone as well. My current axe has a really, really thin layer of melamine finish, and it feels and sounds like proper, good wood. Dings easily, but sounds lovely.

Slightly OT, but a remember hearing a before and after this guy did with his Hellraiser. I was a little surprised by how noticeable the difference in tone was after he stripped it.

That's a tall order and you'd probably have to go custom.

I'd get this and mod it but I like les pauls.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...udio-baritone-electric-guitar/h71178000001000

or this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...orer-baritone-electric-guitar/h71158000001000
Not necessarily from MF but Sweetwater I believe carries them as well.

I think you should go custom and get exactly what you want. I agree the finishes on the schecters are very thick and i'm sure they impede the resonance of the body and dampen the tone.

-John