Help me find a studio guitar!

I'm out of the loop with guitars and specs, but will say this at least- do not bother with anything Schecter that is newer than yours, and to that effect stay away from Korean made.

Knowing you well and how spcific you are about everything I think any Korean made guitar from the last 30 years will only cause you grief.

I'm out of the loop with guitars and specs, but will say this at least- do not bother with anything Schecter that is newer than yours, and to that effect stay away from Korean made.

Knowing you well and how spcific you are about everything I think any Korean made guitar from the last 30 years will only cause you grief.

I disagree. Sounds like you probably had a bad experience with a bad brand or batch or something. ESP LTD Korean models made prior to 2007 are known to be great. Now, I mean, for the price, they're awesome and you won't find a better build quality in that price range. If you're comparing them to a PRS custom or another custom shop or high end guitar, of course by comparison it may not be amazing... but for what they are, they're a great deal. I'm not sure how Schecters are, but LTD Korean made are pretty impressive imo.

I thought the LTDMHB400 had a rosewood fingerboard, not ebony.

Whoops, of course you're right! Both 400 and 401 have rosewood fretboards, sorry for posting the wrong info. The MHB-400 (my model) had a maple body as well but the MHB-401 comes with a mahagony body.

I disagree. Sounds like you probably had a bad experience with a bad brand or batch or something. ESP LTD Korean models made prior to 2007 are known to be great. Now, I mean, for the price, they're awesome and you won't find a better build quality in that price range. If you're comparing them to a PRS custom or another custom shop or high end guitar, of course by comparison it may not be amazing... but for what they are, they're a great deal. I'm not sure how Schecters are, but LTD Korean made are pretty impressive imo.

+1 on this one. My particualr exemplar was build marvelously nice in a korean factory. Might be a "winner-guitar" but to this day it's one of the finest instruments I own. Compared to Schecter I'd say it's at least as well crafted as the Schecters. Compared to Epiphone the Epiphones are built like this :zombie:.

Searching for the facts of the guitars I found out that ESP doesn't build em anymore nowerdays. Maybe some dealers have a little stock left. Looks like they are wanted hard on forums as well: WTB threads

Edit: Haha, I even got a pic of it as my forum avatar :)

So Ermz, what's the verdict... any of these you like?

I was actually GASing over at the Rondo page, spotted this, and thought of this thread. The only thing it's missing is a maple top, but there are other Agile's on their site that fit your specs almost perfectly.

septorelite627dncebwhite5.jpg
septorelite627dncebwhite1.jpg

(Agile Septor Elite 627 EB DNC White)
Double cutaway light weight mahoganny arch top body
27" scale
USA Made Seymour Duncan blackout pickups
Neck-Thru body design for improved sustain
Cepheus 6 extrended range bridge
Ebony fretboard. Position markers are located on the side of the neck.
24 Extra Jumbo 2.9mm frets and a 13.7" (350mm) radius neck for fast play
Grover Die Cast tuners
Reverse Headstock, string through body.
Width of the neck at the nut: 1 7/8"; at the 22st fret: 2 3/16"
Uniform Neck Profile - For ultra fast playing - 21.5mm at the frest fret and 22mm at the 12th fret.
Thickness of neck at the first fret approx 11/16"
Overall length, including the strap button: 41"; Scale length: 27"
String Gauge: 009, 011, 016, 024, 032, 042
Actual Weight is only 8.5 lbs

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. So far none of the production models really fit the bill. Some get really close, but none quite get it.

Even now, I think the closest production model to what I'm after is the Jackson SLS 3. Maybe I should compromise and just use a standard 'never-be-in-tune' 25.5" scale guitar, just for all the many thrash guys we get through here playing in E and Eb. It's a guitar that has a great feel, and I'm sure potentially great tone, if paired with the right pickups. Maybe use that to test the waters, before going all out on a baritone custom.

Not sure... it's a tough one. I've been blowing so much money left right and center on failed studio bass guitar attempts - I'm sort of hesitant to start the process again with guitars. I know nothing short of an ideal instrument will stay here for long.

that is if an ideal guitar that fits to every single player that will come through your door exists.
I highly doubt that.
The SLS 3 looks like an awesome guitar tho

No love for the Squier Bass Ermz? edit: nevermind, just saw the other thread

Okay, after looking through some options, I decided to look more closely at the Agile guitars. Since I'm happy to just buy a guitar for myself to start with, the 7-string with 27" scale is a valid idea again.

I'm thinking some of the Agile models need a very minimum amount of modding. A simple pickup swap, and perhaps new bridge (keen to try bass-style ones with individual saddles). They're so cheap, that it's almost a no-brainer.

Plus neck-thru... mmm.

Agiles seem to vary quite a bit in quality from what I've read. Hit or miss.
Although to be fair, it's not really any different from the experience with Gibsons it would seem, except that with Gibson you could be paying upwards of $5000 for a complete turd :lol:
Probably still much better off going the custom route, but it's a matter of whether you'd want to wait really

Maybe I should compromise and just use a standard 'never-be-in-tune' 25.5" scale guitar....

You know Ermz, I think its great that you are such a perfectionist, but I think this is a little harsh. I mean, sure, guitars aren't perfect, but the Equal Temperament system isn't either, at some point you have to say "Fuck it, close enough for Rock N' Roll!" I mean, 30+ years of heavy metal has been built on 25.5" and 24.75" guitars, it's not like they completely suck!

That being said it would be mighty cool if you fixed your issues with an Agile or something, but I don't think obsessing over it this much is healthy! I mean that with the utmost respect!

Have you tried the Buzz Feiten, Earvana, or True Temperment Fret systems? If you are that serious about precision tuning, those might be solutions you'd like to look into.

Friend of mine just ordered an Agile, along with a set of 7-string SH-6 and '59 pickups. Pretty much exactly what I was looking to try. Can't wait to record it!

FWIW, regarding the scale thing... I recently recorded some tracks with a prog band that came in with Hellraisers much like mine (except with Bareknuckles). There is something absolutely awesome about the way the chords and their solidity with a 26.5" scale. It's just something you don't get on a regular instrument. It seems to sound more sterile, mechanical, heavier... So I really can't wait to try the Agile with 27".

I found the necks and fretwork not up to scratch. What you are saying is that nearly every record made is out of tune. Nickleback, Alice in chains, the black album (I'm naming randy projects here) have unbearably out of tune guitars? ESP when you consider some were even cut on 24.75 scale lengths I just don't see it adding up. Nickel back tune pretty low in some songs as well.

You should always strive for improvement, no matter how good/shit your last attempt was. There's no excuse for not trying, and kudos to Ermz for pushing the envelope.