Help me out with the WOE IS ME track? please!

Feb 18, 2011
Alright so lately i havent been to happy with the way my original recordings were turning out so I decided to just basically completely copy a song that I really like the way the production sounds. in this case its a song called "Delinquents" by Woe is me. I figured if i just copied that and tried to make it sound close I could create somewhat of a "format" for future original songs. anyways i cant get everything to sound clean, the guitars im not too happy with, the drums are the Joey Sturgis Black and Gold custom kit.
so here's the original song

and here's my rough draft
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23702650/woe%20is%20me%202.mp3

and here is my rough draft with "Sparkle" on it from Izotope Ozone
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23702650/woe%20is%20me%20example%202.mp3

The guitars are what im mainly trying to get right Its pod farm as you can tell, I asked Cameron Mizell the producer what he uses for guitars and he said "I run a chain with various solo guitar models and lecto paulin plugin as if it were a real setup" so idk.
also how can you bump up the volume of the overall track, the original is like 5x louder than mine

Last edited by a moderator:
I gave up trying to copy and I wont bother trying again the endless frustration it will cause you will waste more time than you can imagine.

Trust me dump the copycat approach, it takes time to learn but copying stuff wont help with the process only hinder.

No one else who is worth their skills ever did it this way.

I have recently vowed to put away my reference songs and get on with it.

I gave up trying to copy and I wont bother trying again the endless frustration it will cause you will waste more time than you can imagine.

Trust me dump the copycat approach, it takes time to learn but copying stuff wont help with the process only hinder.

+1
Try to do your own thing, because when you try to copy stuff from very experienced engineers the only thing you'll get is frustration, when you notice that your mix is so much worse.

You uploaded the original song! :err:
Doesn't seem legal to me.

This.

Seriously, if you think about it by creating a "format" for future songs you are essentially creating a "preset" for your songs. I think a lot of people try this but I think most people on this forum will agree that you need to treat each and every song independently. Over time you will probably do a lot of things the same song to song, but not everything. By creating a format that you re-use you aren't really giving yourself the opportunity to experiment and possibly refine your process It's just shooting yourself in the foot.

This.

Seriously, if you think about it by creating a "format" for future songs you are essentially creating a "preset" for your songs. I think a lot of people try this but I think most people on this forum will agree that you need to treat each and every song independently. Over time you will probably do a lot of things the same song to song, but not everything. By creating a format that you re-use you aren't really giving yourself the opportunity to experiment and possibly refine your process It's just shooting yourself in the foot.

I agree with the whole preset thing, although basically what im trying to do is not so much try to completely copy the original production rather than at least make my own production of the song that actually sounds good. so from then on ill know which things to do to whichever song im working on sound good. the song that i posted i dont think sounds "good" and thats where im trying to get help lol.

I think you are missing the point. You should be tweaking the song based on what it sounds like it needs though rather than what has sounded good in the past. And if you want help on that specific song you should post it in the "Rate my Mix" sub forum.

I think you are missing the point. You should be tweaking the song based on what it sounds like it needs though rather than what has sounded good in the past. And if you want help on that specific song you should post it in the "Rate my Mix" sub forum.

ahhh I see, should've known that. Ill just do that then, thank you

cameron uses waves guitar for almost everything. a band I work with quiet often just went through chango (famous last words) about a month ago. on a side note Im being given a production credit on this cd as he used almost all of my programing from the preproduction I did with them. cds being master by sturgis and being released through outerloop managment.

If you want anymore details I will tell you all I know

there's nothing wrong with you trying to emulate a production that you admire... i don't know what kind of guitarist i would be now if i never tried to emulate curtain techniques from some of my favorites.

just keep plugging away, man! :)

cameron uses waves guitar for almost everything. a band I work with quiet often just went through chango (famous last words) about a month ago. on a side note Im being given a production credit on this cd as he used almost all of my programing from the preproduction I did with them. cds being master by sturgis and being released through outerloop managment.

i like that joey is mastering everything by chango these days.

also, waves guitar? as in the amp sim? i thought they used lecto..

mind sharing the band name? My buddy runs outerloop management and I was curious...

sounds very detuned to me, especially the long notes, tune your guitar and try to stay in tune! :)
the woe is me production is clinically perfect, try to play more spot on.

cheers
S.

I love the parts where the guitar is cut to make that kind of rhythmic effect... Like in the very beginning of the song. Is this just simply cutting the track in the right places or is there another method of doing this?

Also, does anyone know what kind of drums samples they used on the record? They're very clicky but still have a really nice punch to them....

I think it's this program called glitch something. Woe is me definately overuses the effect imo. Or was it the other band that sounded just like woe is me. Can't remember.