Help me plan my English classes

That depends if you're talking about the Camorra from Naples, the Mafia from Sicily or 'Ndrangheta from Calabria. La Cosa Nostra is strictly mafia, which is from Sicily.

The mafia pales in comparison to 'Ndrangheta. These guys are like Illuminati powerful, and have their hands in just about everything illegal in the world. Tony Soprano is a peasant in comparison to these people.

Yea Sicily, Sardinia, and Naples. I went to Paterno in Naples. My family always worked once they got here, laying bricks or behind a cash register or something stupid. My great grandmother still grows vegetables as well, the front lawn of her old house used to be all corn, now she sticks to tomatoes and Swiss chard and stuff. But you're right about most of the southern population being lazy. Would like a few guest speakers lol?

Yeah man, I wouldn't want to live anywhere south of Rome. Southern Italy is one of the best places to visit, but it fucking sucks if you live there. It's absolutely beautiful there in places and the food is outstanding, but that's about it.

Your family obviously has a good work ethic because they left the south, :lol:.

If you wrote a blog about every aspect of being an American living in Italy, I would totally read it! I'm loving this thread! I never knew that the south of Italy was their Mexico. :lol: Do tell more!

Also, Did Americans perfect the pizza, or is it better there?

Hey guys, hasnt it become rather dumbassed with this converting all threads into hamburger and pizza jive ? Where's your pride, man ? :loco:

If you do this all over the place, you're just confirming people's prejudices about metalheads being joint-smokin, beered-up, asinine lamebrains :erk:

Nicky.

If you wrote a blog about every aspect of being an American living in Italy, I would totally read it! I'm loving this thread! I never knew that the south of Italy was their Mexico. :lol: Do tell more!

Also, Did Americans perfect the pizza, or is it better there?

It depends on what you call pizza. Of course, the garbage that is Papa John's, Dominoes, Pizza Hut, etc. is pure shit. Well, it's good when you're starving but it's shit.

You have to understand that in Italy, pizza isn't junk food like it is in the US. It's actually healthy for you and you can eat it every day without getting fat. What makes pizza so good in the US is usually all the shit they put on it, all the grease, fat, etc. If you like it that way, then you're going to prefer American pizza. Just make sure you don't eat too much of it or you'll get fat.

It all comes down to personal taste. Italian pizza is typically thin, with lots of toppings, and the ingredients are all natural. I don't know where most of these people who are saying American pizza owns Italian pizza are getting it from, when the only people on this board that I know of that's been anywhere in Italy are Max and Karen. Oh yeah, and the new guy with the hot chick in his signature. The north's pizza is good but it's much, much better in the south. If you've eaten pizza in Venice or something like that, I feel sorry for you. Venice is the worst place in Italy to eat, but tourists are so stupid that they'll never know the difference. Everything there is mediocre. It's like the scene in National Lampoon's European Vacation, where the French are microwaving dinners and serving them to the customers, and everyone's like, "Wow, it's amazing!!!" Yeah, Venice is about the same.

I've never eaten a better pizza in the US than in Italy, but then again, pizza in the US is different in different places. Another thing, pizza anywhere north of Rome is good, but nothing in comparison to Rome and south. It has nothing to do with how they cook it, it's more the climate and ingredients used. Again, it all comes down to personal taste. If you like thick crust, blech, then you probably won't like Italian pizza. There is no such thing as genuine Italian pizza in the US. However, like Karen said, there's a place near her home that cooks great pizza, even better than here. I'm sure it's true, but I'm sure Italians would disagree, mainly because they don't like heavy food like we do. Again, it comes down to personal taste. To get the same taste, you would have to import the sausage from here in Friuli or Trentino, the salame piccante (what Americans call pepperoni) from Calabria or Sicilia, the tomatoes from Emiglia-Romagna or Campania, the prosciutto from San Daniele here in Friuli, or the mozzarella from Campania in Naples to get the same taste, but it still would be different due to the climate and lack of freshness due to shipping. It's kinda like the difference between California wine and French or Italian wine. It's good in California, but a Cabernet Franc or Refosco from here would own anything California could ever produce.

But again it all comes down to personal taste. I've eaten pizza all over the place here, and my absolute favorite pizza is this itty bitty pizza place here that serves pizza only once a week because they bring it around in a portable kiosk. I don't know why, but their ingredients are super fresh and the way they cook it makes me wanna slap my mama. Others from the south may disagree, but that's just my personal taste. Same thing with Americans and Italians thinking their pizza is better than the other. I have eaten bad pizza here, though. It's not that just because it's from Italy it's automatically good, because the pizza I had a few months ago was like eating rocks with sand on top. I don't know what happened, because the place used to be really good but now it's shit. I think one could argue that there are MORE pizza places in Italy which are better tasting than in the US, but not that every single one is automatically better because they happen to be in the Republic of Italy. In fact, one of my other favorite places to go around here is a pizza place owned and run by Albanians. They have a special kebab pizza that I absolutely love.

People can open up a pizza place in the US and cook it exactly like they do in Italy, but it would probably be different. I'm not gonna say better or worse because that would be dealing in absolutes, and this is something that comes down to personal taste. The Mediterranean climate and the ingredients here are the secret to making it taste so good. Again, it's not that Italians are master chefs, they just have an advantage with the ingredients.

Morganna, I'll just use this thread as a blog when anything stupid/interesting happens to me here in this fun but fucked up place. :) Italians are very one-dimensional and closed-minded people; even more so than Americans...it gets pretty strange sometimes. It's just that the few things they do well, they do REALLY well.

Hey guys, hasnt it become rather dumbassed with this converting all threads into hamburger and pizza jive ? Where's your pride, man ? :loco:

If you do this all over the place, you're just confirming people's prejudices about metalheads being joint-smokin, beered-up, asinine lamebrains :erk:

Nicky.

GTFO

Nicky.

There is pride in hamburger and pizza.

Nicky.

Hey, some of us here just like the meat, sans beer and weed. Not that a good beer every now & then is a bad thing.

Derick and I had some ace barbecue last night. Sonny Bryan's ftw :headbang:

Oh DW, I'm not talking about papa johns, or domino's. ewww. lol. I mean like the mom and pop type places. There were a few authentic Italian restaurants in Maryland, of course many of these closed down. It was hard for a mom and pop place to really make it where I used to live, because everywhere was so chain driven. But at least they said they were authentic, they were run by Italian family's. Which by the way, don't ever take the food back and say you don't like it in those places! I made the mistake in Ocean city once. They were pissed! Everyone stopped what they were doing, and immediately had to question why in the hell I didn't like it. But, this wasn't pizza, this was a meat ball sub. The old guy, who I assumed was the grandpa was the most pissed. I felt like crawling under a rock!

But if it's as you say, it may be better over there. Anything can be made better by ultra fresh ingredients. Also, real mozzarella is better too! I've always wanted to go, and will someday. My friends mother took a huge European vacation and the next year just went to Italy, rather then the whole package.

I think, if I were to have a favorite pizza joint, and I won't count the places that closed down, like Luigi's (RIP) and the Happy Italian delight, (RIP) I would have to really say Ledo's. It is not mom and pop, but the pizza is damn unique. I've had good pizza since then, but not pizza that made me say wow. Not since Luigi's.

Oh, and as far as American pizza goes, New York style is definitely better then Chicago style! Anyhow, it's pretty much why I don't eat pizza as much as I used to, and I love it. It's really hard to get good pizza. Oh, I love to make it at home! I've never been able to make a decent crust myself though. I think I knead the dough too much, because it comes out a little tough.

I'd love to hear more interesting stuff, keep them coming! :)

Hey guys, hasn't it become rather dumbassed with this converting all threads into hamburger and pizza jive ? Where's your pride, man ? :loco:

Nicky.

Normally, I wouldn't respond to a post like this, but I'm compelled to in this case.

I think you need to hang out on this board a little longer before you go making these assumptions.

People talk about food everywhere, not just on this board. Also, If you've been paying any attention our food conversations go beyond hamburgers and pizza.

blahblahblahblah
yeh i been to italy, and like you said american pizza and italian pizza are totally different style. i prefer the american style (the good kind, not chain-restaurant garbage), but i definitely like thin crust best. no one can touch italy in the frozen treats department though, i would kill someones mamma for a cup of legit gelato right now.

edit: the sandwich type things in italy were hella good

Normally, I wouldn't respond to a post like this, but I'm compelled to in this case.

I think you need to hang out on this board a little longer before you go making these assumptions.

People talk about food everywhere, not just on this board. Also, If you've been paying any attention our food conversations go beyond hamburgers and pizza.

ok this is the post I meant to talk about pork butt after, my bad.