help me please

melodictouch82

New Metal Member
Mar 30, 2002
Cohoes, NY
Visit site
I need help ............I am a musician that is strugglin to make it some where in life and at the very least I need to keep on with listening to great musicians to stay motivated...I am a Dream Theater, Rush fan that decided to research some influences of Dream Theater after I saw them playin out in Conneticut on the 26th this past Tues. Can someone give me more of a spectrum for music i can listen to in order for me to expand my prog influences, I want the sickest bands out there in my library, musically talented, progressively kick ass, and work that resembles a machine steady rythm wise. Please give me a list of bands that I could look up and buy material from and anyweb sites that sell the stuff, i am new here and only found this place by chance. I was tryin to find out how to get a copy of Spastic Ink casue I don't know where to purchase it and their web site isn't sellin it for some reason, Please Help Me, Thanx everyone.
~ Randy From NY

You Shoul listen to Fates Warning if you really like Dream Theater Fates Warning is impossible not be in your "like" spectrum (sorry for the english I'm Chilean)

The albums you should start to are

1. No Exit
2. Parallels
3. Inside Out
4. Perfect Symetry
5. Disconnected

Then you should listen A Pleasant Shade of Gray that is an album with just ONE song with the same name that is magnificent. Then you should look for the Still Life live album where they play that entire song (52 minutes) without any interruption.

Then you find out what you were missing all this time
Of course if you know them already you haven't missing them.

Send me a mail or a private message to know your impressions of this great band

I think you should listen to Blind Guardian, and especially their latest releases:
Imaginations From The Other Side
Nightfall In Middle Earth
A Night At The Opera

Each one is a real masterpiece and they are also very progressive...

Lots of the above suggestions are good, but you should definately check out Symphony X. I found them browsing amazon reviews. In those reviews people argue over who's better between them and Dream Theater

I would recommend In the Woods..., Agalloch and theaformentioned Green Carnetion. I would also suggest Dan Swano's solo effort Moontower and the progressive metal band Wolverine.

Most of these can be found at www.theendrecords.com

I think you might wanna check out Pain Of Salvation if nobody already mentioned them fuckers. They recently supported Dream Theater on their latest tour.
They are good guys too, so it´s a win-win situation.

Nope, I don´t like them too much, but I think you will. I need more satan in my music.

King Crimson
Pink Floyd
Opeth
Tool
Bal-Sagoth

Several choices from the progressive spectrum. Meshuggah and Hypocrisy are great as well, but not exactly progressive. King Crimson practically invented progressive music, so I would begin with them. Red is probably the best one to start off with.

hi there...............good to see there are people like me who are still promoting heavy metal..................

I am the webmaster of http://www.metalforlife.com , though we don't sell CD as yet, we will pretty soon.

as far as Spastic Ink, the official site sells the CD, all u have to do is creat an account with paypal ..... http://www.paypal.com , and u can buy their CDs.........

as far as other prog bands..............checkout................

Digital Ruin album called "Listen" next best to Operation Mindcrime...................

Other prog/semi power stuff u will like I think is any Angra or kemelot CD....................keep the flame alive bro

You might want to try out Sonata Artica as they tend to play along the lines of power metal/prog metal.

Stratovarius is up that ally to and has been around since the late 80's
you can find all this stuff at Centurymedia.com for around $12 and I think Endrecords sells it to for $11 and they have free shipping for us folks in the states and canada.

-Sat

so your a musican? i have 3 words for you "Theory in Practice" thats the band you should imbred in your brain.
then.

listen to James murphy's solo work. called "feading the machine" and "contagon" (hes every bit as tallented as
and check out past albums of him in death, and testament, also alex skolshin'cks earlyer testament albums.
get every death album! (thats right every damn one! not just sound of perservance)

and if youd like some variance listen to Cryptospy for a nice heavyer technicality

btw, to the person who reccomended death (why only the sound of perservance, have you forgotten the mad technicality of human and individual thought patterns? grrrr, dont make me Poke you really hard! :p

-Necro

Can't be bothered to read all the posts but I know that if you don't mind listening to death metal then you should check out Cryptopsy, in terms of technicality and ability they are almost unmatchable.

yes i agree, only nile is on there level of brutal technicality.
though cryptopsy is got a big slope to top shrines.
though im totaly spyked to see there new album come out there new vocalist is much better then mike.

-Necro