Help me to choose a headphone

Oct 22, 2008
Turkey
www.soundcloud.com
I'm looking for a headphone for tracking and mixing. And before any of you guise say it's a big no-no to mix with headphones - yes i'm aware of that but atm i need some cans and because of work I'll be doing my mixing at late hours so a headphone is what i need.

My price range is not so high so i'm down to two options: Audio Technica ATH-M40h and Sennheiser HD 428. I'm looking for a frequency response as flat as possible (and yes they won't be colorless in terms of sound, but I'm guessing they will beat my 10 dollar philips headphones lol!)

Which one would you choose? Any other brand or type that I missed in the same price range with more juice?

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but M50 atm is out of my price range. I'm guessing M40 would be a little more bassy than Sennheiser and i don't know it that's a good thing with them being closed and more responsive to bass frequencies. I really don't want a boomy sound, just warm.

For mixing you shouldn't want anything close to warm.

You should want something somewhat analyctical and neutral, even somewhat cold, but not warm. :/

I'm loving my AKG 240Studio A LOT!
not sure if they're in your price range though

Seriously? I have a pair of K240 DF's (the 600ohm ones, with the words STUDIO MONITOR) and I absolutely hate them. Serious lack of low-end. It's not a faulty pair, either, since a friend of mine tried a pair and the first thing he complained about was the weak bass response. Are yours a different model?

Seriously? I have a pair of K240 DF's (the 600ohm ones, with the words STUDIO MONITOR) and I absolutely hate them. Serious lack of low-end. It's not a faulty pair, either, since a friend of mine tried a pair and the first thing he complained about was the weak bass response. Are yours a different model?

the exact model I'm using and loving...well, mine don't say "DF" but 600Ω and "studio" on them

they are a bit thinner down there, kinda the headphones equivalent of the ns10m I guess :D.
very details and open sounding though, great to "zoom in" seperate instruments, like just a hihat, just the guits etc

the exact model I'm using and loving...well, mine don't say "DF" but 600Ω and "studio" on them

they are a bit thinner down there, kinda the headphones equivalent of the ns10m I guess :D.
very details and open sounding though, great to "zoom in" seperate instruments, like just a hihat, just the guits etc

Ha, I can definitely see the NS10-analogy, so I guess we're talking about the same cans then :D It could be that I only had experience of the K271's when I bought these, so my expectations got me disappointed when they didn't sound the same at all. Maybe I'll just have to give them a bit more love and try to learn their sound better :)

i could never mix with headphones, it's just frustrating and claustrophobic to me. i dunno, it just didn't work for me.

but at those price ranges, i don't think there's anything that "flat response" available. which ever ones you get, you'll learn to mix on them. but i would personally go with the AT. the Sennz will break pretty soon.

I'd still say save a bit more and get the ATH-M50s. They cost a bit more, but they will be worth every cent.

I looked the other ATs up and they didn't seem to cost that much less than ATH-M50s? Last I saw they cost like 150 euros, and the other ATs seemed to go for 130.

Why would you want closed cans? I've had nothing but trouble with them -
especially when mixing, the last thing I'd want is the feeling of constant
pressure on my ears, which in prolonged sessions can very easily
lead to headaches.

I'd suggest giving the audio-technica ath-ad700 (open design) a try,
IMO they are very comfortable and have an analytical sound.

The best sounding Headphones are worthless if they are uncomfortable
and cause you headaches.

@sopulurn: the price between the two is bigger than that. I looked it up at thomann.de, both there and here in my country M40 is almost half the price of M50.

@Roman: I want closed phones for possible vocal recordings near future. And i don't tend to mix in long sessions, gotta reset the ears once in a while.

Thanks for the suggestion guys i guess i'll get M40s

So I've bought the M40. Cool cans, comfy and detailed sound. My only complaint is the lack of bass. I know the sound will be more flat than regular headphones and not so colorful, but it sounds like a high pass filter built in around 130h area. Or should i wait for them to break in?

I would suggest Sennheiser HD25-II's as secondary pair as they have massive low end. Note: not the same thing as HD25-II SP, which is an inferior model.

HD25 II
Sennheiser_HD25.jpg

HD25 II SP
hd25SPII.jpg

HD25-II's aren't too comfy though. Good for work on the road, but I wouldn't use them for studio work.

I'd just say the I had both, the M40 and M50, and there's an abyss between 'em in all aspects:
- comfort: very important if u r willing to use it for mixing or pretty much anything that takes longer than a few minutes. Of course this item is a bit subjective 'cause comfort depends on how the cans adjust to your ears. The "sitting" will affect the sound too.
- sound: for me the M40 lacks bass and has too much low-mids.
- appearance: not important AT ALL, but the M50 is prettier. lol

But, as I said (or mentioned), as cans sit VERY close to your ears, evaluating them becomes almost something subjective and I hope you adapt well to the M40. Not saying they're bad, especially for the money, but when you can, the M50 will be an upgrade.

Cheers

k, I wanted to know myself, so I ordered a set of ATH-M50.
they don't sound bad...actually they sound pretty good.
But I think the bass is way over accentuated, wouldn't wanna mix on them or use them for critical listening.
for that I still prefer my k240 by far.
I actually think I'll return these and get a second set of k240 instead.

bit dissapointed I must say...think m50 would be good for wannabe rappers or DJs though.

well, perhaps I just have to get used to these, but I think something is seriously wrong in the lowend, I do like the high-mids/highs though, cymbals and hats sound nice and clear/3D.
I guess closed cans just don't sound as "true" in the bass region as open ones.
I also think these cans are rather fatigueing, just listened to 3 songs ion a row and my ears hurt

why is everyone here liking them that much? am I stupid and have just to get used to them?
damn, if I was to mix on these my mixes would turn out thin as fuck.

i have two K240 (Studio)and i love them, since years.. i use it nearly every day
my vote goes for them too

i also have a Sennheiser DT-770HD, and i hate it..dont like it at all
i bought it because of the isolation.. but i rarely use it.