[help] Profire 2626 headphone out too quiet.

nezvers

Beast
Oct 5, 2010
Latvia, Riga
Profire 2626 headphone out is too quiet. I'm using ATH-m50 headphones and my macbook pro13" and Line6 UX2 are blasting them over 20% of volume fader. But with 2626 I can even talk with other people when having volume to the max and playing crushed mix against limiter. I've tried to find answer in google, but none has mentioned such thing. It would be stupid that 3636 was intended to be used with headphone amp, because L6 UX2 is powered with USB an still blast headphones.
Am I overlooking something in it's mixer?
Also seems like master volume knob doesn't affect both headphone outputs when they are set to be affected.

If you are using protools route set up a fader just for the headphone mix, and blast the volume on that with no limiting, if your talking about the internal limiting in Pro tools, then your shit out of luck and going to need to get a headphone amp.

Use headphone 2 output. In your profire router set ANALOG OUT 3/4 to software return 1/2 (if you are not using these outputs for any outboard or whatever and software return 1/2 is also main monitor output. Then under the Setting Tab of your profire CP uncheck ANALOG OUT 3/4 in the MASTER VOLUME KNOB thing. That is how i do it. Might have misunderstood your question tho, barely read it really :D

Profire has plenty enough gain on headphones if you've set it up right, take a screenshot of the M-Audio mixer for us to look at will you man?

HP Out 1 is linked to the master volume knob on the front of the Profire, so I bet you've got that down to not have your monitors tearing your head off, and it's effecting the level of your headphones.

As Joelegend said if you use HP Out 2 set to be fed from software return 1-2 (so the same mix as is coming out of your monitors) and set the master vol to only control out 1-2 then you'll have an headphone output with level control independent of the master volume.

Normally I wouldn't need to pass my win7 volume over 13% but on 2626 I have it maxed and it isn't as loud as with other headphone outs. And both 2626 headphone outs are having same loudness (kinda comfortable loud).
All knobs and faders set to max. Same output routing for both headphone outs and master volume should control them both, but actually I've tried to activate all master volume controls and looking on mixes view + turning master volume it doesn't do anything.
Same volume from reaper/ FL Studio and win player.
Router.PNG

Mixer.PNG

Settings.PNG

Win%20volume.PNG

Is is still the same if you switch the relevant analogue outs to mixer out instead of software return?

With analogue in for HP1 I hear only instrument input (in my case guitar DI), if mixer out volume = software return volume = if aux 1 that's being fed with signal.

I was playing around in my 2626's settings, trying to disable the Master volume being linked to headphone out.....I disabled something that made all the volume SUPER fucking loud, just forget what it was.

I have mine set so my master volume doesn't affect the headphone volume, so I can turn off my monitors if we are tracking something with live mics in the "control room".