help me with stomp boxes?

Eld

. . . . . . .
Oct 14, 2001
Michigan
www.metalbite.com
Hey!

I'm looking for a stomp box for guitar. It's going to be used for distortion, so...

Anyway, I'm not to experienced in stomp boxes, so I'm not too sure. I've read plenty of reviews on the Boss Metal Zone and it doesn't seem to be that great, actually.

I read that the Ibanez TD-9 Tube Screamer(????) is really good, but then heard a comment that it isn't really that much distortion.

Anyway, any help is welcome

Thanks!

Boss is as good as any.

I'm running mine straight into a mixer (to kill the mids, kill buzz etc), then straight into my amp.

It sounds awesome... The tone is across between Human-Era Death and Sepultura's 'Arise'. VERY deep, but doesn't scamp out on the highs and mids for solos and shit.

i don't think you should get the ts9....it's not a pedal that is used for metal...more for rock

the metal-zone is one of the best distortion pedals out there but is quite pricey....the best distortion pedal out there IMO is the zoom tri-metal....it's similar to metalzone but has better range, just a durable and looks much better....

if u like distortion with v.low mids than i suggest u get the metalzone coz the trimetal is a little too fuzzy with the mids turned down to 0...however the trimetal sounds really good with the mid set about half-way and the treble and bass set to full

i have metal zone, you just have get the right settings, i traded my friend for his overdrive for a week, and i miss my metal zone, i get back monday

Metal Zone... get it... get it now!!!

Ive played with a few distortion pedals that sound good at low volumes, but when you pump them through your half stack they sound terrible.... metal zone still sounds perfectly clear and understandable at high volumes though.. and with such a range of sounds available you're sure to find the sound you want!!

I've heard it just has a ton of feedback, real noisy. That, and it's only good for rhythm and not lead. And, you can't really hear all the notes in chords or anything.

Anyway, just what I heard. Anyone know anything about those arguements?

Originally posted by Eld
I've heard it just has a ton of feedback, real noisy. That, and it's only good for rhythm and not lead. And, you can't really hear all the notes in chords or anything.

Anyway, just what I heard. Anyone know anything about those arguements?
Feedback/Noise: Never had any problems (and i play at full volume on a half stack), actually its good for feedback in the sense that i can get controlled feedback that sounds good when i want it, but when i dont want it its easy to avoid. As for noise i dont notice any problems at all.... when my band is playing the other guitarist is constantly clicking his distortion pedal off and on whenever there is a small break in guitar sound because otherwise he gets lots of shit (noise and bad feedback, the really high crackly horrible sounding stuff).. but i just leave mine on and get minimal noise (as minimal as a distortion pedal can get) and no bad hum or feedback. But i do have a very good guitar which may make a difference.

And with the metalzone there is such a big range of sounds ( get the MT-2) that you can easily find a sound that is both good for solo and for rhythm.. and i can hear perfectly well what notes and chords im playing..... the problem is most people have no idea what sounds good in a band situation and just punch in these useless sounds.

I'm using Boss TURBO Distortion DS-2 (yup that orange one :p) and I'm really satisfied with its sound.. I think it's just a bit cheaper than Metal Zone.. give it a try :)

Don't get the Ibanez dude! It's not an out and out gain pedal, it's for tweaking the tube distortion on your amplifier. I've never used a stomp box distortion effect that I like to be honest, I use a zoom gfx8 multi-fx.

I'm not a fan of the metal-zone's at all really, they always sound prosthetic to me. They don't tend to translate to my setup I suppose and they just sound, er, well, cheap.

The DOD death metal pedal is supposed to have the most gain of any stomp box, but is even noisier than the MZ series. You really need a noise-gate pedal to use those at high volume. I'd always recommend multi-fx if you're on a budget.