HELP PLEASE .... Pro Tools + possible soundcard issue...

Skinny Viking

¯\(°_o)/¯ How do Lydian?
Oct 10, 2007
Philly
www.facebook.com
Yo guys

Ok not sure what the problem is but I'll do my best to explain ...

Just recently updated some things. Got a new pc (Rain Recording Solstice quad core) and have spent the last few days loading my programs and all that happy horse shit. Anyway, I also just upgraded my Pro Tools from 6.9 (LE) to 7.4 I've had the install disc for a while actually, was just waiting to finally be able to afford a new pc. Anyway onto the problem... So I have my PT loaded, my plugs and pretty much most of anything else I use. Copied over a session from 6.9 and dumped onto my new audio drive, opened ... everything is there and is working better than I could have imagined. This was as of last night. Today I took my soundcard out of my old pc (Soundblaster Audigy 2) and put it in the new pc. Pretty simple hookup, pc detects new hardware, use install disc, all seems to be working. I open PT and try opening my test session. It opens with a nice big fat fucking "Access violation" error. WTF??? So I close it and try opening again. This time as its loading it tells me certain plugins (my mcdsp ones) had to be disabled because of resources or something. WTF???? I had enough resources on a 2.3 P4 with a gig of ram but not 3.0 quad core with 4 gigs of ram????

This has happened multiple times now tonight and I'm pissed. I'm almost certain it has to do with the soundcard but why if it worked fine in my old pc with PT 6.9? Is it a driver issue maybe? I know I could check by just taking the soundcard out but I would really like to have both working. As for my setup, I'm running PT LE 7.4 on the above mentioned RR Solstice. Oh and before anyone asks, YES, I own my PT and plugs.

Any help or insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

i just looked on the duc and apparently a couple guys over there have alot of problems with soundblaster soundcards...the thread i found said that if you can, try and stay away from it...not much info in the thread aside of "try not to use it" link here ....cant u just use ur mbox or whatever interface you bought with pt?

i just looked on the duc and apparently a couple guys over there have alot of problems with soundblaster soundcards...the thread i found said that if you can, try and stay away from it...not much info in the thread aside of "try not to use it" link here ....cant u just use ur mbox or whatever interface you bought with pt?

Hey man, thanks for the reply ... yeah I've heard of some problems with the SB cards and PT but the thing that bugs me is I had both working just fine on my older pc. I'm not a hardware guy by any stretch of the imagination ... if I'm able to just use the mbox for listening back on my system after I bounce down a mix (opening in something like WMedia player or something), thats great, takes care of one part of the problem. There is another part of the problem which is I was running my midi controller keyboard into the SB. I have an immense bank of soundfonts that I use and for the longest time I was simply running a line from the out of my SB into a DI box and then into my Mbox. Never had problems before, its only been since I upgraded not only my PC but also my version of PT. I also ran the self diagnostic tool on the SB and it says everything is working great but I get no sound with anything. I'm already in the process of a complete clean reinstall of everything and doing a backup after each step which is beyond tedious and I don't even know if its gonna work.

Thanks for the link though, I appreciate it. Maybe I can dig out some more info with whats there

Cheers!

Yeah thats really about as far as i can take you...def check compatibility grids and shit though being ur updating stuff some plugs or hardware might then not be compatible..sometimes PT is worse then a ragging girlfriend..the DUC is your best bet when it comes to pro tools specific problems theres a ton of knowledge on that forum,its helped me out alot...btw what OS are you running?

XP Pro SP3

Yeah I just finished making a list of plugs I have and checking for compatibility with PT LE 7.4. Looks like I should be fine, there's a couple of wrapped vst plugs that might be a little weird but nothing on their sites saying they shouldn't work. Stuff like Freeverb 2, Boogex, etc

Thanks again pitching in!

Why using a audigy as your sound card?
Most modern Mother boards have those shitty sound cards that work just fine.
Sound blaster audigy doens't add anything better than those shitty ones.

for the midi

the Mobo has an integrated realtek card ... I only wanted the Audigy for the midi inputs and to use my soundfonts

ok I think part of the problem has been solved ...

uninstalled all of the audigy stuff and removed soundcard. Never knew this but it seems I can actually use the MBox itself as a soundcard for stuff out of PT. Soooo ... disabled onboard audio card, made MBox my default and voila, I have sound again both in and out of PT. Now I just need a workaround for my midi problem although I may have that figured out as well, have to check out a few things. I think I may have found the buggy plugin too. Thanks again Dalin for trying to help

Cheers!

is it the original oxygen or the v2? the v2 i think is already usb at the end of the connector im not sure about the original one though but if you have a usb hub then you can buy a "midi to usb" connector and then just plug it into the hub and ur comp should still be able to recognize it...if you dont have a hub then go pick one up i got mine for about 30 bucks and it has 5 ports on it...make sure its a/c powered though...pro tools doesnt mesh well with hubs that dont have there own seperate power running through them for some reason