Help, Radio Interferance when Reamping

MetalWorks

Apr 19, 2007
Sacramento, CA
www.myspace.com
I think the first time I ever Reamped it worked fine and was pretty silent once I engaged the Ground Lift Switch.

But it seems like every time I Reamp now I am getting some weird radio station interferance. Seems like possible AM radio or some Spanish radio station.

Its not audible when the guitar starts playing, but when the amp is idle and waiting for the audio to start its pretty annoying for everyone to hear that.

I have seen the same thing happen before when someone mistakenly used an instrument cable for a speaker cable.

Here is my audio connection for Reamping:

Reamp_Connection.jpg

Digidesign 96 I/O 1/4" output using TRS to XLR cable to Radial X-Amp XLR input.

1/4" Dimarzio Instrument Cable out from X-Amp Isolated Output to Maxon OD808 Instrument Input with Ground Lift Engaged.

1/4" Monster Instrument Cable out from Maxon OD808 to Peavey 5150 High Gain Input.

Im thinking either its the 1/4" to XLR TRS cable or possibly the X-Amp itself.

I have tried other instrument cables and speakers cables with no difference.

I have been in different rooms on different outlets and circuit breakers with no difference.

Anyone had this problem or have any ideas as to what the problem could be?

You may want to try a power conditioner.

I would definitely go with Wolfie's comments and kind of just take your time, spending a few hours nailing down where the problem is. Your connections look good save for the clean power.

Also, double check that your speaker cable is, in fact, a speaker cable.

Everything has been fine through the heads directly.

And this happened the last 2 recording sessions through every amp. VHT, 5150, XXX, Mesa DR, JSX.

And I have used everything from a 100 foot Pro Co Speaker Cable to a 6 foot Monster Speaker Cable.

I have run the Digidesign 96 I/O, AC Adapter for the X-Amp and I'm pretty sure the power cables for the heads from a Furman Power Conditioner and seems to have the same problem.

One of these models

PL-PLUSD_II-front_page.jpg

This really sucks.

I am wondering if I might be able to try using my Behringer Direct Box backwards in place of the X-Amp just to see if the same thing happens.

I have heard that you can do that as a Reamp technique.

The shortest I have tryed is a 3 foot.

And originally I ran a 100 foot speaker cable to another room in another structure.

Then I had that problem and tryed going through a short speaker cable in the same room.

On the latest attempt I ran a 20 foot instrument cable from the X-AMP Output to another room where the head was sitting on the cab.

Same problem.

I will try a 1 foot instrument cable and try to make sure each head is running off of the Furman Conditioner.

But if anyone else has experienced this, Im still open for suggestion.

I also emailed Radial Engineering in the mean time since it only happens when Reamping.

Are you using a balanced xlr cable? I have the x-amp and the first time I tried reamping I got the same thing, loads of annoying noises. I switched the xlr with the proper balanced cable that the x-amp called for and that sorted the problem I was having out.

This may sound weird, but if you have any type of lead vest or lead material, try wraping the xamp in it.... If that's what's picking it up, it will not let anything pass through it...

I know I know, who the hell has lead blankets lol

Are you using a balanced xlr cable? I have the x-amp and the first time I tried reamping I got the same thing, loads of annoying noises. I switched the xlr with the proper balanced cable that the x-amp called for and that sorted the problem I was having out.

unless someone specifically opens the connector and de-solders the pin3 neutral phase, all XLR cables are "balanced" cables.

It could actually be your guitar that's picking up interference.
no, he's already said it's happening when he's re-amping... no guitar involved in re-amping, just the guitar output recorded from a D.I. box... and he's made it clear it's happening when there is no d.i. signal driving the amp, so it's there ambiently. in other words, the radio signal isn't recorded into the D.I. track... it's being picked up live.

rough problem MetalWorks... i've dealt with it several times and sometimes it seems nothing works. often though you just need to examine every aspect of your signal path, especially the less obvious things... try these: make sure your 96 i/o's output level is set to +4. i'd also try using the X-amp passively... disconnect the wall-wart and use the direct out rather than the Jensen transformer isolated output.

disconnect the wall-wart and use the direct out rather than the Jensen transformer isolated output.

Interesting Approach, I didnt realize it worked that way. I knew that the Out2 was the only Isolated one according to the Red Line painted on the box.

I will give that one a shot.

And I am pretty certain all of the operating levels are +4 on the Digidesign gear.

But like you said, it also seemed like this is something that might not have an exact resolution. It has worked without this problem in the past and seems worse at some times than others.

I pretty much just tracked anyway hoping that its only present when the setup is idle waiting for the audio to hit play.

I will try Direct Output 1 without the AC Adapter tonight and see what happens.

James: What about the Ground Lift switch? I am pretty sure I connected the Output 2 because it was the Isolated Output that was affected by the Ground Lift Switch. I get a hum without the Ground lift engaged.

Would I possibly use the heads Ground switch if running passive Output 1 or some other solution to remove the hum?

I haven't tryed on Output 1. But I know it didnt work from Output 2 when I discovered the AC plug came out once.

And after checking the manual again, I see that I was confused about the ground lift for Output 1 and 2. Apparently 2 is controlled by the tweaker knob on the side.

This was also in the manual:

Why do you have to use Out-1 when using the X-Amp?
Out-1 is the primary ground path for the X-Amp and needs to be
connected to a properly grounded amplifier so that the chassis
can work as a screen against RF and other magnetically induced
noise hazards. Keep in mind that the X-Amp employs a floating
ground plane and needs to be grounded at either the input or the
output.

But it seems to me that I switched to Output 2 because I thought it was getting less noise when I had this sort of problem before.

I definately need to do some more experimenting with Output 1.

ground lift should work on both sides... it's likely just iifting pin1 of the XLR so it's in-line before the split to the passive or the isolated outs.

OUT-1 1/4" DIRECT feed from the X-Amp's Class-A circuit. This output should always be used to ensure proper grounding.
(Taken from http://www.radialeng.com/di-xamp-features.htm)
ok then MetalWorks, if Output 1 is Class A then you will have to use the power supply because it's not passive... but yeah, there is also your likely problem... or at least the major one, as deLuther discovered with a little internet research: you didn't follow the instructions that came with your X-amp. i don't have one... i use the John Cunbertti original Reamp, which is passive.

Yes... passive reampers is much simpler - only one out, so you always plug cable into proper output.
BTW I also use passive, Radial PorRMP - because Radial has distributor in Russia :)