Help, recommend me some drum mics......

Shredfiend

Sep 2, 2004
I need to pick out some mics for my drummer.
We'll need a couple of overheads, hh, snare, 2 toms and a floor tom.
My last drummer had his own mics,SM81's,57, couple of Senheisers. Unfortunatly, now we have to get some more. We have a buget of $700 to $1000 with stands and some cables.

A friend mentioned the Shure PG series but GC said they were being disontinued.

Any help is appreciated.

pretty much what every one else has said..

but...
royer 121's on overheads, and senheiser kick mic on floor tom

Not sure the gear recomended will fit your budget. Have a look at a SM57 for snare, Senheiser E604s for toms and the Senheiser 901 for the kick.

Ok you're going to want a Neumann U87 for every drum and a pair of Shoeps for the overheads.

:lol: You're a dick... lol... They HAVE to be original vintage.
yeah he can go ahead and pick me up a left handed monkey wrench and some magnetic tin foil while he's buying them.

Seriously though, either it's national don't read the thread content day or there's an 80% off sale at Sweetwater, either of which would be perfectly fine HAD SOMEONE BOTHERED TO INFORM ME

+1!!!!

ALSO! was it just me or was the forum down yesterday?

EDIT: I see fucking nothing unusual at sweetwater...
the forum has been going into random spurts of displaying blank white pages for the last three days when I'm in the middle of shuffling through important threads

Shredfiend, to keep myself from looking like a sociopath here's what I've gathered.

SM57 on snare is basically a must $99

Sennheiser e604s don't stand up to the 421s but three of them are the same price as one 421. $330 for a three pack.

a set of Rode NT5s for the overheads are gnarly, though Greyskull mentioned the Royers and I'm sure they're awesome (some really amazing overhead tracks have been done with them) but I could probably sell a kidney and not be able to afford a pair of them. The rodes will run you around $400

that leaves you a few hundred to spend on a hat mic, which I am not informed on whatsoever nor have I ever mic'd a hat in my life

guys around here seem to worship the D6 on kick but I have not heard it, though I can tell you don't get the AKG D112 it sounds like smacking a rabid squirrel with a bible. but you didnt say anything about kick so...

DEFINITELY BUY THE AUDIX D6... I own a Beta 52 and I now use the beta on my floor tom!

which ads this interesting 808 bassy effect which can be VERY useful. IMO
Which reminds me, i said something to a classmate about people liking the D6 and he got so pissed off I thought he was going to hit me :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

audix is okay, i prefer shure or the akg mic for the kick.

a lot of you seem to be forgetting a lot of vital things.

first, he already has a few mics. second, he has 1k to spend. third, he never said anything about what he was recording with. so with that do you have a mixer? digital interface to hook up to your comp? what are you plugging these mics into? lastly, does he even have cables/stands? thats another 100+ right there. if you buy the 3 pack of Sennheiser e604s it'll come with clip on "stands." now you need stuff for the snare, and over heads. basic boom stands run 20-40 each, you'll need 3 of them, thats about 100 there. cables depends on the length, but figure another 30 each. thats another 150 or so there. now you mentioned something about stands and cables, did you mean that 1000 as a final total with stands and cables, or that you have 1000 to spend and you already own stands and cables? speaking about that, what do you already own?

Overheads: I'd recommend the rode NT-5s or the Oktava M012 (I use these) I'd get these in a match pair. they are both around 400 total. add this to the 430 (Sennheiser e604 + SM57) and you got 830. plus another 250 and you are way over your budget. I'd suggest saving up a bit more or using less mics and trying to maybe use one mic for two toms or use just overheads and a kick or something along those lines, it gives you less control, but it may be just what is in your budget at the moment.

also hi-hat mics are overrated. get a good drummer and position the mics well, it'll be useless.

haha yeah, they aint cheap!
heres some more sensible alternatives.

beta 52
57's x3
421 x 1
sennheiser 902 for kick and floor tom
rode nt 5s for 0hsn and maybe another set for hats and ride
oktava mk219 x2 for room

I can tell you don't get the AKG D112 it sounds like smacking a rabid squirrel with a bible.

Whoa, whoa... The D112 is a great mic, and is probably on the vast majority of real kick drums in your cd collection. It kicks ass on bass cabs, too.

Last album, different drummer who had mics. We used 2 sm81's OH and some E604s for toms. 57 on the snare, and I can't even remember what we through on the HH.

I'm thinking about buying the 3 pack of 604's. And I have a 57 for the snare. I'd still need 2 OH, a HH mic.

I picked up an Audix DP5 set New on Ebay for $459, normall sells for $659 on most internet sites.

Was a killer deal including i5 for Snare, D6 for Kick, D4 for Floor and 2 D2's for Toms. Comes with all mic clips and 4 D-vice mounting clamps. That and a nice case that actually holds my Neumann KM184's when you remove the top foam cut outs for their overhead mics. There is storage underneath that still holds my D112, SM57, 3 SM58's, Beta 58, Beta 57 and 2 other cheap Audio Techinca mics plus the clamps.

Awesome.

They do have other drum packs as well.

Whoa, whoa... The D112 is a great mic, and is probably on the vast majority of real kick drums in your cd collection. It kicks ass on bass cabs, too.
I was exaggerating, I haven't slept in two days, but Nordstrom kinda turned me off of the D112 permanently. As much As I like everything else he does I don't enjoy his kicks. Also the few times I've tried to use one it was a bitch to position and thus the kind of person looking for a budget set of drum mics probably isn't the kind of person who would want one.

I should also clarify that there are non-metal albums where the D112 is nice, but I jumped to the conclusion that he's in a metal band, and I will probably be wrong just to make me look stupid :lol: