Help recording Mesa Dual Rectifier 3 channel

thisundyingfire

New Metal Member
Jan 15, 2014
I've tried everything I know. I have the amp sounding good at ear level in the room. When I put a SM-57 on it I always hear a fizzy phasey sounding mess that's hard to get rid off. what the crap am I doing wrong?

Again it sounds good in the room/ear level (other than being loud).

Mesa 2x12 cab - V30's
SM-57
Cab is in decent room, pulled about 1ft out from wall.

Any tips that don't involve burning the whole rig and starting over?!?!

honestly, thats how those amps are. they always have a fizz. the phasey issue im not clear on.

you know what i do if im ever recording in rooms that are less than appealing. i drape a thick blanket or comforter over the entire rig, making sure that the blanket touches the floor and isolates the mic and the cab in a …..well, blanket…. it seems to kinda focus the mic more on the cabinet.

just pull some of the fizz out with an eq, and get the best result you can and commit to it. if its the tone you are getting, then commit to it. sometimes its not as bad as it seems, and you are just looking too intently under the microscope.

The phase thing sounds like you are micing dead center (I would assume). The few times I have recorded a three channel, I got the best results by off-axis micing at a bright mic position, and then staying away from the modern voicing.

I am surely not an expert but i was also very unhappy with my sound. So here is what helped to improve things for me.
Check all speakers to find the one that sounds best for you; check mic positions in all directions (moving away from the center to the left, right, up, down). And my best advice would be to use an off-axis position (less than 45°) with the mic facing towards the center.

I also recently changed the tubes of my 2ch-triple Recti and switched to EL-34s. The difference is enormous!
Since then i almost always get a sound that i prefer to any ampsim, even with low volume.

I tried going more off axis just prior to reading the last couple of posts. So this is to affirm what those guys said! Made a huge difference. I'd gotten a decent sound off-axis before starting the thread but not a great one.

Knowing that most seem to use on-axis method, I was worried :eek: that I wasn't getting the best tone even though my ears were saying "off" was better.

So as always, use your ears not the consensus (though the consensus works often too).

Also I've tried EL34's and 6L6s. I've still not decided which I prefer, goods and bads on both sides. But I've got a recorded tone I'm happy with now, so :headbang:

Also, with a Recto, you probably want some sort of TS in front of the amp!

Been telling this to our other guitarist for a few years now and he just doesn't seem to care.

On the subject of EL's vs 6L6s......I have a combo of Els and 6L6s in my Mesa Mark IV and honestly can't hear that much of difference when switching between the 2. (Mostly because the 6L6's are running alongside the EL34's which probably masks a bit of the EL sound). Even on amp sims (TSE x50) when I click to change tubes, I can't really hear it.

Also, with a Recto, you probably want some sort of TS in front of the amp!

Been telling this to our other guitarist for a few years now and he just doesn't seem to care.

On the subject of EL's vs 6L6s......I have a combo of Els and 6L6s in my Mesa Mark IV and honestly can't hear that much of difference when switching between the 2. (Mostly because the 6L6's are running alongside the EL34's which probably masks a bit of the EL sound). Even on amp sims (TSE x50) when I click to change tubes, I can't really hear it.

Yea, without a boost I don't see doing metal at least on the 3 chann. I've got a few. Using the 808 on this project, have a bad monkey that's good for some apps, and a metal zone that make it a blizzard of metal. Bjt that's for more of a brutal sound, this is metal but not THAT metal:)

I just want to add that the $40 Boss SD-1 is by far my favorite boost for the mesa dual 3 channel. I did a shootout at guitar center years ago with every screamer style box they had and I liked the Boss the best followed by the Bad Monkey. I recently splurged on the Maxon od820 and Im looking forward to putting through its paces when the Mesa is back from the repair shop, but seriously be sure to check out the SD-1.

MXR Custom Badass OD is my favourite boost for the recto.
The 100hz knob lets you pull a lot of low end flubber.
Best way to set up a 3 channel recto in my experience is boost going in then set all channel controls apart from pres (set at zero for now) at 12 o'clock then rotate the treble and find where the fizz is kicking in and bring it just below that level.
Next pull the mids a little to remove boxiness, then pull the bass a bit to remove mud.
Then turn up presence from zero until you hear the high shhh come in and set it just below that.
Balance the output of your overdrive boost and the gain control of the recto to find the amount of drive you are after.
The recto is a tricky amp to set up but I can get a killer sound this way.
My settings are usually
MXR gain zero, 100hz 11 o'clock, tone 12 o'clock, output 3 o'clock.
Channel 3 modern, silicone, bold.
Pres 8 o'clock, vol 9 o'clock, gain 1 o'clock, bass 10 o'clock, mid 11 o'clock, treb 12 o'clock and amp master at 12 o'clock.

Hope this helps

Here is a mix with Triple Recto set up as above.

Last edited by a moderator: