Help with click tracks

martyfireball

myspace.com/studioferox
Sep 5, 2003
belfast, UK
www.myspace.com
Hi guys, i'm sorting the clicks for our new EP and am interested in how others go about getting the tempo and what changes you make throughout the tracks. My method was to record the band at practice then take it home and work out the bpm using Soundforge. I usually knock a few BPM off to compensate for the live speed. Any other comments or ideas?

I believe Mr Sneap mentioned he sometimes knocks it up a couple of BPM's for the chorus, and i've tried this on the tracks where it suits. Otherwise the tempo's are pretty constant throughout the tracks. Is this the norm?

Cheers
Marty
Devilmakesthee
http://www.devilmakesthree.net

hi guys,
my click track is constant all time! faster in chorus? - i haven't tried it but i can't believe this sounds good when your song seems to be built for one tempo and it raises in the chorus, means its getting slower for the next verse - hmm? but maybe it sounds good on some songs - sure not in general!

i do not record my band first and then i set the tempo! i (drums) speak with my band about the tempo - grab a metronome and then we have it!

so i have ones song tempo and everything fits quite good in the sequencer - when i have a tempo change ( sometimes in endparts) i have to record the slower or faster click and turn off the metronomes click in the song.

that is my way - bye alex

your way makes tons of sense. i've never tried raising the tempo on the chorus, but i can see how a few beats could make it cool. when we write, we record it with a drum a machine , but when we gear up to record, we jam with the whole band, record it, and then figure out what tempo we're playing at and work from there for the final recording. this way you kind of avoid the whole speed everything up live thing a little bit. It works better for us then just picking a random tempo to play at.

martyfireball said:
Hi guys, i'm sorting the clicks for our new EP and am interested in how others go about getting the tempo and what changes you make throughout the tracks. My method was to record the band at practice then take it home and work out the bpm using Soundforge. I usually knock a few BPM off to compensate for the live speed. Any other comments or ideas?

I believe Mr Sneap mentioned he sometimes knocks it up a couple of BPM's for the chorus, and i've tried this on the tracks where it suits. Otherwise the tempo's are pretty constant throughout the tracks. Is this the norm?

Cheers
Marty
Devilmakesthee
http://www.devilmakesthree.net

I write the music, deciding on tempos along the way to enhance the flow of the song.

Then I set up a tempo/time-signature track in Cubase SX and record scratch rhythm tracks to make sure it all works. I use these scratch tracks as additional reference for the drummer.

The resulting click tracks are used for recordings, rehearsals, and gigs

Personally I have never really understand why people insist on this
1 tempo = 1 song rule
Music is emotion through time, and emotion changes through time...