Help with my bass gear purchases

Radd

Self Portrait
Jul 19, 2005
NJ
www.soundclick.com
After finally getting a mic pre (Vintech dual 72) and plugging my bass direct in I was amazed at how good it sounds. It could definitely do with some tweaking though and my bass is crappy, a fender squire II precision with stock pickups and horrible action.

I'm very interested in the Sansamp bass driver and a 5 string bass.
I'm also curious about the Bass PODxt live (wasn't impressed by sound samples on site) or Boss GT-6B but strongly leaning towards the sansamp as I've read great things about them and their ability to produce the SVT sound extremely well. I will want to use different effects on occasion but am considering using my Boss GT-8 for that. :erk:

As far as a bass goes I have my eye on this:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBASR505
or something like it cheaper on ebay. I don't want to spend more than that.

Anyone have any opinions on these products or can recommend to me any other similiar options?

i have a similar model SR475, i hate the pickups, but the neck is nice and i've never had issues with it. I suggest getting a bass with passive pickups. i find myself playing my old mexican jazz bass more than my ibanez, the pickups are the reason.

EDIT: it appears that that one has bartolini's in it, which are good pickups. try it out first and see if you like it.

I have a bass pod xt and the sans amp bass driver. I may sell the bass pod soon. It has lots of effects and lots of tweakability, but the sans amps sounds good, the bass pod sounds OK.

I've recorded several Ibanez basses. NONE of them has sounded very good. Everything that I have recorded that I liked was in the $1000 range, so I'm not much help.

+1 on the not-liking-Ibanez-basses. My bassist plays a MusicMan Sub - for metal, I'd steer clear of them too.

Personally I'd look for a Warwick on eBay - they may not be very metal, but their reputation speaks for itself. There are some great basses by smaller companies too - Peavey (okay, in bass terms they're small), Aria and Cort have some really nice basses, and they're likely to be a bit easier on the wallet too.

Steve

The bassist in my old band has an Ibanez SR505, it's really nice looking and plays very easily. As far as the tone I have to go with the guy that said he doesn't like the sounds...it's alright I suppose, but the Spector 5-string he just bought a few months ago completely owns it. Was like $700 from Guitar Center.

~e.a

fuck ibenez i owned one for about 1 week and i pawned that off on the local guitar store.

i used a washburn and loved it but i think esp basses are looking pretty sweet never played one though :err:

Matt Crooks said:
I have a bass pod xt and the sans amp bass driver. I may sell the bass pod soon. It has lots of effects and lots of tweakability, but the sans amps sounds good, the bass pod sounds OK

I agree 100 percent, I would say the sansamp bass driver is a studio necessity, even if you have a killer rig it will add that much more to it. Conversely the pod is a useful tool (sometimes)

Certainly one of the best things you can get for your studio for under $200

I own an ibanez fretless and it sounds and plays well until you plug it in.o_O
I would recomend you look at spector and lakland stuff.
IMO 35" scale makes a huge difference in getting the B string to sound a lot clearer and more articulate. FWIW I've never cared for the way warwick stuff plays.

everybody's x said:
Laklands are kickass, but are you going to get one in that price range? if so please show me the way
Point taken but you can get one of their non-american 5-strings for $700.
Granted I failed the price range thing but to me it is worth $120 extra to get an excelent instrument.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lakland-Skyline-5501-5String-Bass?sku=517702
It's possible you could find a used one for less.

Originally Posted by Radd
I guess I could get a 4 string and tune down

Not necessarily but I don't know that you would save much money. There is a pretty good chance you would have to get a new nut (or at least get some work done to accomdate the larger strings.

egan. said:
I would recomend you look at spector and lakland stuff.
IMO 35" scale makes a huge difference in getting the B string to sound a lot clearer and more articulate. FWIW I've never cared for the way warwick stuff plays.
What Spector models would you suggest in my price range (including used ebay)? Any?
4 or 5 string.

GuitarGodgt said:
How low are we taking?
B :lol: Yeah, I guess if I don't want the strings to be flopping all over the fretboard and hitting the pickups and sounding like ass than I should get a 5 string like I want anyway. :loco: