Help with pains

ElPredicador

Yeah... Whatever
Jul 27, 2002
Santiago, Chile
I have this strange pain in my index fonger on my left hand. I think it is probably due to a day that I started playing the necessary blonde, by tribal tech, which has a very stretching chord
e-x
b-4
g-6
d-7
a-9
e-x
and also made an inetnsive chromatic training.
any ideas on how to avoid this??

Stretch your wrists and massage your hands/forearms before and during your practices. Make sure you don't just bust into the hardest shit you know how to play when you start either. Warm up slowly.

I could do with some advice as well. For about a week now I've had some really weird feelings in my wrist. It's not exactly pain, it kinda feels a little like cramp or something. At any rate it is most certainly not a nice feeling. I've had it before, but it's never been as persistent as it is now; it could be though that it has something to do with the fact that I just got a new guitar, with a much thinner neck and forms that require some revision of the manner of playing I've been using for years. Maybe it's just my body re-adjusting a bit, but I'm a little scared nonetheless. Perhaps I should take a few days' rest and just play some acoustic guitar when I feel like making some music? Or maybe I should just let my left arm/hand rest as much as possible. I really hope I didn't injure myself in some way :ill: One thing's for sure anyway; I'm going to take warming up a lot more seriously from now on and have a good long look at the way I position my hand when I play. Does anyone know any good links with more information?

The King Of Terrors said:
I could do with some advice as well. For about a week now I've had some really weird feelings in my wrist. It's not exactly pain, it kinda feels a little like cramp or something. At any rate it is most certainly not a nice feeling. I've had it before, but it's never been as persistent as it is now; it could be though that it has something to do with the fact that I just got a new guitar, with a much thinner neck and forms that require some revision of the manner of playing I've been using for years. Maybe it's just my body re-adjusting a bit, but I'm a little scared nonetheless. Perhaps I should take a few days' rest and just play some acoustic guitar when I feel like making some music? Or maybe I should just let my left arm/hand rest as much as possible. I really hope I didn't injure myself in some way :ill: One thing's for sure anyway; I'm going to take warming up a lot more seriously from now on and have a good long look at the way I position my hand when I play. Does anyone know any good links with more information?

I had a similar problem when I would switch between my 5-string bass and 4-string bass. The 4 has a much thinner neck, and is more or a round shape, while the 5 is wider with a more oval shape. It usually doesn't take long to adjust, but I occasionally get wierd craps/pains in my wrist when I switch instruments.

Perhaps some basic wrist exercises before even playing would help?

--Mike

i bet lots of your wrist and finger pains are from typing on the fucking computer also.

I don't seem to have any pains whilst playing the guitar. I guess it's my many years of playing. I have become accustom. J/K

I actually find it a good idea to stretch before playing and do actual warming up before shredding or what have you. Play a few scales at a slow pace and then just work up to your normal speeds.