HELP With Vocal Mix

Pman

Feb 18, 2006
UK
www.facebook.com
hi
i have been tracking the music for me and my band (im the drummer) and we intended to get this song mixed before the others
i tracked the drums with a click at 200bpm and 160 on the 2nd part
2 oktava mk012 overheads, sm57 for the snare and 2 cheap dynamic mics for the kicks, (to be replaced with drumagog)
then we tracked the guitars clayman style, 2 guitarists, so 8 tracks then 2 tracks of bass, one miced cab and the other as a DI
im not a great mixer so it sounds very mushy, but its alright generally
anyway my problem is the vocals
i can never mix them well into the mix. this was an sm57 with a muffler on, as when i use an oktava, theres bumps all over the place
anyway can anyone have a go at mixing the vocals into the mix please
the files are below
Slave Syndrome
Vocal Track

whenever i have problems getting vocals to fit i lower all the faders and raise the vocal on first then built everything else around it. sometimes if u add vocals in last, everything else is already so loud and you boost the vocals so much to compete that it sounds like its above the mix and not in it. also theres some eq'ing to be done but id start with raising the vox fader first and building around it.

MX582 said:
whenever i have problems getting vocals to fit i lower all the faders and raise the vocal on first then built everything else around it. sometimes if u add vocals in last, everything else is already so loud and you boost the vocals so much to compete that it sounds like its above the mix and not in it. also theres some eq'ing to be done but id start with raising the vox fader first and building around it.

Good call. Very pop-oriented, but good advice!

discordless said:
i'd say to rerecord that voice again with a popfilter. and tell him to use his lungs more , he seems a bit shy :D
aye i was just intending to redo them, but a bit more room between the mic and him
also i am intending to use a condensor pointing at his mouth but not infront of, as the breath just destroys the sound

MX582 said:

haha
american style mixing