Here is some POSITIVE input for the forum. ZERO negativity

ledmag

New Metal Member
Aug 31, 2001
Kentucky
Visit site
I have all opeth releases. I had a problem with MAYH. I didnt like it. I gave it 4 or 5 listens, ...no good......later, 4 or 5 again.......no good. this went on for a while.

Well, I was laying on my couch, just after smoking the very JOINT that killed ELVIS "the KING" Pres. I was there listening to my cd's, then it was OPeths turn. MAYH......It was like..........damn, this is good. Then I got to DEMON of the FALL.....DAMN that song is awsome. The way Mik says the catch line "demon...demon of the fall".thats good stuff OPeth heads....its good. The cd has got some most exellent acoustic work on it as well, but is very heavy to boot. The acoustic stuff is what i lik ethe most about Opeth.

Oh well, I just thought i would fill you guys in on my little story here.

Sometimes when I first hear an album I am not too impressed by it and even after a few more listens it still doesn´t hit me right. What is interesting is leaving it alone for awhile and then one day just deciding to pull the album out again and actually find something you missed before. I think it´s a mood thing...

...and Blackwater Park became an instant classic to me upon the 1st listen, while the other albums have taken more time. (I am in the minority here)

Oh well - they're all good anyways.

Well, for me, it was like this, and in order:

Morningrise: I got this when it came out and was immeditealy blown away since I had heard nothing at all similar before in my life. It sounded very medieval and forest-like to me. I loved it right away for it's oddness, and to this day it still feels pretty much the same to me.

MAYH: I got this without hearing any samples beforehand. I was immediately blown away once again, but this time the music was much more emotional and dark, heavier. Everytime I listened to it, it got better, until it reached the point where I was almost scared that I might be enjoying it too much! To this day, I think it is one of the greatest albums ever, and is probably the most important and enjoyable album I've ever had.

Still Life: I disliked this at first. The Moor and Godhead's lament were alright at first, but the rest of the songs did nothing for me. After about 6 months of listening, i ended up going to PEI by myself to give a presentation. I listened to the album a lot (alone) there, and I became fascinated by the beauty and the oddness of the riffs. That was like two summers ago. To this day I am still discovering new things in the album, and have been going through phases in which I become obsessed with certain songs. I am currently on serentity painted death, the last one (I've already had extended periods of obsession with all the other tunes on SL).

Orchid: Hmmm, is a cool album, but still haven't gotten into it. I have been having slight increase in interest of this one lately though....

BWP: I only enjoy a few sections of songs on this one, and I only throw it on in hopes that I will start to like it. I am about ready to give up though....It's not the Opeth that I've grown to love.

Originally posted by AngelWitch73
Sometimes when I first hear an album I am not too impressed by it and even after a few more listens it still doesn´t hit me right. What is interesting is leaving it alone for awhile and then one day just deciding to pull the album out again and actually find something you missed before. I think it´s a mood thing...

Your right, it has everything to do with MOODS. BUt once you hear a cd in a so called mood, and you like , IT sticks with you.or at least it does me.

It is a good cd.

Originally posted by metalmancpa
...and Blackwater Park became an instant classic to me upon the 1st listen, while the other albums have taken more time. (I am in the minority here)

Oh well - they're all good anyways.

Yes BWP was my fav untill I got STill Life, now they are an even tie for the first slot.

Originally posted by Till Fjalls
Well, for me, it was like this, and in order:

Morningrise: I got this when it came out and was immeditealy blown away since I had heard nothing at all similar before in my life. It sounded very medieval and forest-like to me. I loved it right away for it's oddness, and to this day it still feels pretty much the same to me.

MAYH: I got this without hearing any samples beforehand. I was immediately blown away once again, but this time the music was much more emotional and dark, heavier. Everytime I listened to it, it got better, until it reached the point where I was almost scared that I might be enjoying it too much! To this day, I think it is one of the greatest albums ever, and is probably the most important and enjoyable album I've ever had.

Still Life: I disliked this at first. The Moor and Godhead's lament were alright at first, but the rest of the songs did nothing for me. After about 6 months of listening, i ended up going to PEI by myself to give a presentation. I listened to the album a lot (alone) there, and I became fascinated by the beauty and the oddness of the riffs. That was like two summers ago. To this day I am still discovering new things in the album, and have been going through phases in which I become obsessed with certain songs. I am currently on serentity painted death, the last one (I've already had extended periods of obsession with all the other tunes on SL).

Orchid: Hmmm, is a cool album, but still haven't gotten into it. I have been having slight increase in interest of this one lately though....

BWP: I only enjoy a few sections of songs on this one, and I only throw it on in hopes that I will start to like it. I am about ready to give up though....It's not the Opeth that I've grown to love.

I had never even heard an Opeth song until i got my 1st one. It was a suprise...I must say.

Orchid Ithought was good from the start, but it was never my fav, it is missing something..nothing major...but still yet, something.

The bass guitar on MR is what grabbed my attention on that one.

Still life was the 3rd one i picked up..it was great from the first listen.the Moore..oh yeah

MAYH was essentially the musical turning point in my life and is certainly in my top three albums. It was my first experience with Opeth, I loved the album from the first listen and it has only grown since. MAYH, my favorite Opeth album and certainly one of the best albums ever.