Opeth - Damnation vs. acoustic album

Metal Marc

New Metal Member
I was talking with a fellow Opeth fan about how killer we feel that Damnation is. He thought it would be cool to put out an album of acoustic versions of Opeth songs from previous albums. I thought that might be cool but now I don't think that would be cool. The more I think of it, I don't think I'd want to hear an acoustic version of "Demon Of The Fall" or ...at least not on a proper album.

Well Opeth unplugged would work to a certain extent. But anyone who hasd heard Alice In Chains unplugged would argue that sometimes yhe power is thw whole point. Not that I am comparing Opeth to AIC.
The point being that it seems an OK exercise but the unplugged formula works better for some bands. Kiss for example made it work because of the blues based nature of their songs and the melodies. Opeth would find it tough to carry some of those pieces into an acoustic format.

narcisco said:
Well Opeth unplugged would work to a certain extent. But anyone who hasd heard Alice In Chains unplugged would argue that sometimes yhe power is thw whole point. Opeth would find it tough to carry some of those pieces into an acoustic format.

I agree. It would be interesting to hear, but it doesn't work for everyone all the time.