Another Opeth Acoustic Album?

Abedeth

Aug 7, 2008
Lebanon
I dont know about you but what really got me to admire Opeth and bow down to their genius is Mikael mastery of the acoustics.
I would very much enjoy a second acoustic/mellow album with more writhing acoustic sounds and incredible new twists in acoustic plucking offered by our one and only, Mr. Akerfeldt.
They are just too damn powerful in that domain. Another mellow acoustic album would be brilliant!

I know Damnation is not entirely acoustic but what I meant was, a soft calm record with some mind blowing guitar work.

Also, do you know any bands who have similar works?

I think mike should do it but as a solo artist. We all know that mike is a huge Nick Drake fan. So it could be interesting to see mike doing something like this. Solo acoustic record with short songs like coil or roads.

agree with u except for the short songs.

I dont mean 1:30 songs but im not a huge fan of 14 minutes progressive acoustic folk. The only long acoustic song I like is Desolation Row from bob dylan. Besides that I think it'S too much. Especially if it's only acoustic guitar and voice.

Mikael said he wouldn't do another Damnation like thing with Opeth as he wanted to keep that album unique.

But maybe he'd do it as a soloartist, yes.

I think it's a horrible idea to do it under the Opeth name. I mean Opeth is all about dynamics, it's not about just the heavy or just the mellow, it's about the combination of the two.

Instead I want another MAYH and Still Life.I am not much into the last 2 albums of them.Not that I hate them but well first 5 albums>all.

I think it's a horrible idea to do it under the Opeth name. I mean Opeth is all about dynamics, it's not about just the heavy or just the mellow, it's about the combination of the two.

I agree and though they probably could manage with another mellow album in terms of songwriting and everything, it would be just repeating what they've already done.

Technically, an acoustic album would be something new. Most tracks on Damnation at least feature an electric lead or solo + plenty of synthed Mellotrons. I could dig an Opeth album being all acoustics. Mendez on a big ass double bass :p

Fredrik ripping a banjo solo and so forth.

One thing I've always wanted from Opeth but never really gotten is acoustic music + growled vocals. They've done sung vocals over blast beats already, so why not try the other way around?

As far as similar bands, you can check out Green Carnation and their album Acoustic Verses. It's mellow and mostly acoustic. I don't find it as great as Damnation (it's a high bar), but it's pretty good.

Technically, an acoustic album would be something new. Most tracks on Damnation at least feature an electric lead or solo + plenty of synthed Mellotrons. I could dig an Opeth album being all acoustics. Mendez on a big ass double bass :p

Fredrik ripping a banjo solo and so forth.

One thing I've always wanted from Opeth but never really gotten is acoustic music + growled vocals. They've done sung vocals over blast beats already, so why not try the other way around?

He'd need a chair to reach the lower notes.

I wouldn't want to put any restrictions on Mikes creativity.
Not that he couldn't do it. I'd rather hear what comes naturally to him.

There are growled vocals over clean instrumental parts on "By the pain I see in others." Is that what you meant?