There will never be another album like Damnation by Opeth again.

Damnation is good, but I wouldn't miss it if someone stole it from my collection. Mikael sings too samey on all the tracks. I mean, yeah, he's singing clean, yeah, but all the songs seem to carry vocal melodies that are so similar the whole CD just blurs away. The lyrics could have been much better too, considering that's a huge focus with cleaner music. Having said all that, the MUSIC varies so little as well that it's quite naff. I can listen to any random song on Damnation and love it like I love anything else by Opeth, but having heard that one I feel like i've heard the whole album. That sucks. Thank fuck they're not considering doing an all-acoustic album again.

the problem is most of you are true metalheads. and if something is not metal youre able to enjoy it but not to love it.

Mariner said:
the problem is most of you are true metalheads. and if something is not metal youre able to enjoy it but not to love it.

thats not true at all, most of my favorite opeth songs have the best accoustic/clean parts. I love metal...opeth/emperor(but not most BM)/Agalloch(tons of accoustic)/Dark Tranquillity ect ect. But I listen to Porcupine Tree and Antimatter just as much.

when I think of true metalheads I think of dumb drunken bastards at slayer shows or guys that think the whole point of black metal is to kill people and wear corpse paint...or this moron at my school that shows everyone he can find the mayhem cover with the guys brains blown out because it's just soooo coool man. I don't find many opeth fans that are that sort of metalhead. To really enjoy opeth you can't be that close minded and only like metal...otherwise you would be bored half the time.

Mariner said:

yes, not true. my favourite band of all time is Pearl Jam. i enjoy no metal band's music as much as I enjoy any of Pearl Jam's albums.

and yes, i'm a metalhead.=)

fadingessence said:
thats not true at all, most of my favorite opeth songs have the best accoustic/clean parts. I love metal...opeth/emperor(but not most BM)/Agalloch(tons of accoustic)/Dark Tranquillity ect ect. But I listen to Porcupine Tree and Antimatter just as much.

when I think of true metalheads I think of dumb drunken bastards at slayer shows or guys that think the whole point of black metal is to kill people and wear corpse paint...or this moron at my school that shows everyone he can find the mayhem cover with the guys brains blown out because it's just soooo coool man. I don't find many opeth fans that are that sort of metalhead. To really enjoy opeth you can't be that close minded and only like metal...otherwise you would be bored half the time.
okay dont get me wrong, but how many people replied on me comment? only 2. so there is much truth in the fact that people who're listening to opeth are much into death, trash, black and stuff. its more unlikely to encounter someone into opeth who listens most of the time to gothic or pop or rock.

good to see you listens to Antimatter! you should be aware of the fact they play at the westcoast of the USA in may (or was it june?)
anyway check out the dates on the forum or on this website ;) www.antimatter.tk
dont miss the gig. one of the most special experiences i ever had

Mariner: I'd also like to respond by saying that I'm no oure metalhead who isn't open minded enough for Damnation. Sure, I love thrash, death, doom, etc. metal but my CD/record collection had 80's pop, electronic, trip-hop, some rap, classical music, that I love, not just enjoy.

all i hope is that they stop trying to sound like porcupine tree... i don't know, but since steven wilson got involved with opeth, the band seems to be slowly losing their unique sound. i like the atmosphere on the earlier albums much better. since BWP their music has become a little melodramatic, with too much dissonant chords and stuff, i mean, orchid and morningrise, those two also expressed emotions like hope, not only utter fucking sadness. music weighs heavy on a man's mind, you know, and i often find their latest work too risky to listen to, because it might fuck up my mood and stuff... right?