acoustic versions of opeth songs

TattooAnt said:
Can't wait to hear it.
This topic has reminded of a time a couple of years ago me and friend performed Harvest at an acoustic 'open mic' venue (two acoustic guitars and harmonized vocals). We introduced it as being by a Swedish death metal band; and then after we finished the prick hosting the event said "that was good to hear some death metal played acoustically for a change". What an ass - he obviously thought we were doing an acoustic representation of a death metal song, which Harvest is not (we said the band were 'death', not the song). This twat also thinks he's a really good musician but didn't have the intelligence to realise that even if we played Harvest on electric guitars instead of acoustic it still wouldn't be death metal.:loco:
Yeah, he's definitely a prick for not having heard of Opeth.

I want to do an acoustic cover of December Flower, which is a really heavy intense In Flames song (with an incredible solo).

dew said:
I always thought it would've been cool if they made clean adaptations of heavy songs and played it at a special live show, throw it on a CD/DVD, it'd be cool like that.

And then on the last song, we'd see a really really brutal version of something off Damnation, completely rewritten so that it's barely comprehensible.

I couldn't agree more. But not for just one song. I think the reversal of dynamics is always a good and refreshing thing for songs. I've been thinking of making a heavy version of Harvest for quite a long time. :D

MasterOLightning said:
This is a rather cool idea. I'd like to see a Damnation song played heavy, too.

Little known fact: Niklas Sundin plays the solo on December Flower, not anyone in In Flames.
I don't know who Niklas Sundin is, but he's the man.

Sanzen said:
I think he produced that CD.
Then he is the man x2. Jester Race is one of the greatest metal albums ever, I'd rank it close to Still Life and Morningrise.

Jude said:
I don't know who Niklas Sundin is, but he's the man.

I agree, he is a good guitarist...

Sanzen said:
I think he produced that CD.

I think he's the lead guitarist from Dark Tranquillity...no wait, I know he is ;).

The only reason I know that is because while watching the video for The Wonders at Your Feet (the live version) Mikael Stanne screams out " Niklas Sundin" right before he goes into a solo.

And that sounds logical too because Anders used to do vox for Dark Tranquillity way back in the day and Stanne did guitar...then Anders left for Tiamat (maybe...can't remember) and Stanne moved to vox...and we are at where we are now.

Jude said:
Then he is the man x2. Jester Race is one of the greatest metal albums ever, I'd rank it close to Still Life and Morningrise.

Word. The Jester Race is out of this world. Best In Flames. I just wish Anders and the guys can make something even better then that. WHen I heard that album in it's full....I was like..."woah what?! "This is cool.:)"

That and Whoracle are great albums. These days, In Flames is just going a tad too hybrid.

It's there music, though. I just like the older stuff better.

A Reason To Sing said:
Word. The Jester Race is out of this world. Best In Flames. I just wish Anders and the guys can make something even better then that. WHen I heard that album in it's full....I was like..."woah what?! "This is cool.:)"

That and Whoracle are great albums. These days, In Flames is just going a tad too hybrid.

It's there music, though. I just like the older stuff better.

I agree...IMO everything prior to and including Clayman is their bestwork. If only the recording on Colony was better :(