acoustic versions of opeth songs

harvest_moon

The Progmaster General
Nov 15, 2004
does any one think it would be quite interesting to see complete acoustic versions of some opeth songs? In Flames and At the gates have done it to varying degrees and its always awesome. Im sure that Opeth would do a fine job of converting more of their heavier songs to acoustic versions for posterity

Well, the thing with that is, we already have acoustics from Opeth.. but some renditions of heavier songs could be cool..

Borknagar's in the process of doing an acoustic album.. I'm eager to hear that!

If you have ever seen the video of Mike, Peter, and Mendez showing how to play The Drapery Falls, they show everything without distortion. But they play it little by little while explaining each part. But you can see that the song would be cool even without distortion.

I always thought it would've been cool if they made clean adaptations of heavy songs and played it at a special live show, throw it on a CD/DVD, it'd be cool like that.

And then on the last song, we'd see a really really brutal version of something off Damnation, completely rewritten so that it's barely comprehensible.

Moonlapse said:
Not really. The dynamics of the tracks are what make them so special. To take out that heavy element pretty much takes the kick out of Opeth.

Opeth = heavy part + mellow part :loco: . I've never thought of hearing a Opeth heavy song in acoustic version. o_O . It's really awesome.

FRUGiHOYi said:
If you have ever seen the video of Mike, Peter, and Mendez showing how to play The Drapery Falls, they show everything without distortion. But they play it little by little while explaining each part. But you can see that the song would be cool even without distortion.
That sounds awesome - where can I see this?

no I don't think it'd work....

it'd be cool if opeth did something like MTV's Unplugged with all their acoustic stuff, not just damnation stuff......but fuck MTV

dew said:
I always thought it would've been cool if they made clean adaptations of heavy songs and played it at a special live show, throw it on a CD/DVD, it'd be cool like that.

And then on the last song, we'd see a really really brutal version of something off Damnation, completely rewritten so that it's barely comprehensible.
Amen to heavy damnation! :headbang:

I plan on doin a acosutic medley of Opeth songs....so far I have HArvest, Hope leaves, Isolation years and Drapery FAlls in mind...though only some parts of Drapery........I might thrown in some heavy parts too...played on acosutic offcourse.....!!!.......will be postin it soem time soon....!!!....PEAC EOUT

waz416c said:
I plan on doin a acosutic medley of Opeth songs....so far I have HArvest, Hope leaves, Isolation years and Drapery FAlls in mind...though only some parts of Drapery........I might thrown in some heavy parts too...played on acosutic offcourse.....!!!.......will be postin it soem time soon....!!!....PEAC EOUT
Can't wait to hear it.
This topic has reminded of a time a couple of years ago me and friend performed Harvest at an acoustic 'open mic' venue (two acoustic guitars and harmonized vocals). We introduced it as being by a Swedish death metal band; and then after we finished the prick hosting the event said "that was good to hear some death metal played acoustically for a change". What an ass - he obviously thought we were doing an acoustic representation of a death metal song, which Harvest is not (we said the band were 'death', not the song). This twat also thinks he's a really good musician but didn't have the intelligence to realise that even if we played Harvest on electric guitars instead of acoustic it still wouldn't be death metal.:loco: