"The Grand Conjuration" - I don't understand the negativity

MetalManCPA

Papa Opeth
May 19, 2001
Visit site
I find it quite amazing all of the negative press here and elsewhere this song has receieved. All of the negativity makes it seem this song is no better then a bad Brittany Spears song. TGC happens to be my 3rd favorite on GR behind Ghost of Perdition and Baying of the Hounds.

This song doesn't have the same technical merits as other Opeth songs, yet I think it holds it's own power. It's repetetive, but Opeth hasn't been repetetive before with long outtros? I happen to like the song in it's lengthy pounding simplicity.

What are your feelings (with reasoning) about this song?

I agree with you. I remember when the song was first leaked, a lot of people were like "OMG THIS SONG KICKS SOME SERIOUS ASS!!!!" But when the album came out....this song was at the bottom of the favorite list and was givin low scores....I personally think that it was the leak that really affected the song. But hey, thats just my opinion

It's one of those songs that definately needs to be taken within the context of the whole album. On it's own, it definately has some mediocre aspects to it.. most notable being the repetition of that 'chorus' riff. I still think that whole solo section is one of the best things Opeth have done though... the way that solo leads into the following riff, as well as how good that riff in itself is just create this ass-kicking feeling that gets me every time.

Also, the videoclip has definately ruined this song for me to a degree. I just keep associating all the simplistic riffing parts with nu-metal now... I just can't stop doing it, even when I try my best not to.

Moonlapse said:
It's one of those songs that definately needs to be taken within the context of the whole album. On it's own, it definately has some mediocre aspects to it.. most notable being the repetition of that 'chorus' riff. I still think that whole solo section is one of the best things Opeth have done though... the way that solo leads into the following riff, as well as how good that riff in itself is just create this ass-kicking feeling that gets me every time.

Also, the videoclip has definately ruined this song for me to a degree. I just keep associating all the simplistic riffing parts with nu-metal now... I just can't stop doing it, even when I try my best not to.

I understand how repetition/simplicity coupled with the video can stain the song nu-metal for some (as it has appeared to have done to you). And as I am curently listening to my now all-time favorite song, Ghost of Perdition, there is no pure musical comparison.

But, when I take The Grand Conjuration and measure it against mainstream and nu-metal, there is still no comparison (my personal opinion). The song still bleeds Opeth, and not just because it is Opeth, but because it sounds Opeth. There are plenty of simple songs I like that I don't consider trash. For me, music doesn't have to be even 1% complicated as long as it sounds good, and TGC does to me.

And again, my opinion, I haven't listened to any Opeth that I consider needing to be in context with the album it's on.

haha, I bet you are. Ilike the song, but I don't think it is the best on the album. I don't think the leak had much to do with it though. I honestly just think that there are better songs on the cd then that one. I'mnot saying I don't like it or it's bad, because I don't and it's not. It's just not my favorite that's all.

the clean section near the beginning... it's so incredibly cheesy and amateur. It annoys me to listen to that part because it sounds like some wimpy marilyn manson fan wrote it trying to sound "dark" but instead comming off lame. I'm going to do my own edit of the song, don't think it will be possible to take out that bit though as it's sort of needed in the flow of the song, but anyway... the song could easily be half as long and would end up better for it.

Mumblefood said:
the clean section near the beginning... it's so incredibly cheesy and amateur. It annoys me to listen to that part because it sounds like some wimpy marilyn manson fan wrote it trying to sound "dark" but instead comming off lame. I'm going to do my own edit of the song, don't think it will be possible to take out that bit though as it's sort of needed in the flow of the song, but anyway... the song could easily be half as long and would end up better for it.

Then you must like the edited video (I happen to)

MetalManCPA said:
Then you must like the edited video (I happen to)

It's not bad. But i prefer to do edits myself, as that is sort of my specialty. No one makes better edits than me. FACT. :) But yeah, i just felt like the song went nowhere and did nothing really. But i do like the one riff, you know, the one near the beginning NANA DOOF NANA DOOF... yeahhhh....

I personally think it's the most boring song Opeth has done (Atonement is up there with it) There is just no magic with it, unlike the majestic GOP or Baying. I understand the whole "context of the album" thing, but that doesn't excuse it's uninspired direction. Apart from those two let downs, the rest of the album is pure class!!

I didn't hear the leak, or see the video, and I still find it to be one of the weaker tracks. The soft part kind of kills the song, and it definitely doesn't need to be done twice. The middle part with the more technical riffs is good. Maybe I'd like the edit more.

Ok, I got no problem with the song. It is a good song. But, although the heaviest and most evil sounding track on the album, it is the weakest for me. The repetition is the thing that gets me, not entirely bad, just lets the song down a bit. Other than that, no problem.

Ikil

The thing with it for me is there are parts I just love in this song. Per's work stands out as some of the album's most dramatic moments, one of those things where you know when you hear those sections live with the keys, guitars, drums, everything swirling around you they will completely strike you and envelope you.

This is then counterbalanced with some of Opeth's most uninspired riffs on the album, if not ever. At first I was searching for the Deliverance influence, and I don't mean the song, I actually don't see many similarities between the songs, and think that all because the outro is repetitive doesn't mean that it is any sort of sequel of sorts to another track where the outro repeats. But the feel of the Deliverance album, where they backed off the SL/BWP type of tons of guitar layers and harmonies, but instead the emotions and shifts were so delicate and subtle, shifting just underneath the surface. I think Deliverance is a beautiful album, one that so perfectly adapts and shifts that you don't even notice it. But after lots of listening it finally hit me that no, The Grand Conjuration's dramatic parts are great, but there isn't really any of that Deliverance era subtlety in the song.

I think it lets people down because it is so straightforward of a song, emotionally and musically (I am not talking about time changes or sectional changes). At the same time, I dig the song, and I think that it will blow me away live. In fact it might be one of their most oppressive/chilling/effective concert staples ever.

After listening more, it's worse than i thought. The only good thing about it really is the intro riff, which isn't played that much, and... well... during the clean verse the acoustic part is neat, but is ruined by the retarded DUN DUN DUN which is the lamest thing i've ever heard Opeth do.The slightly more "technical" middle section is kinda cool. All in all, i don't even think i can make an edit of this to make it ok. There's only like 2 minutes of worthy stuff.

Oh, let me add in one thing though, that I just remembered. In the Grand Conjuration when they are repeating the main riff and they have that very soft keys floating in and out, just over the sonic horizon, and they have that crackling growl barely clawing through the speakers that is wonderful. That to me hearkens back to Deliverance-era, and hints at what the Grand Conjuration could have been. All in all, I do like the song, but when I hear those all out dramatic sections and that section I just mentioned, it really emphasizes the emptiness of other parts of the song.